2024 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

14 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

No clue where we're sitting at cap wise but some guys I'd potentially kick the tires on...

Offense

AJ Dillon, RB

Jon Feliciano, OG

Laken Tomlinson, OG

Greg Van Rotten, OG

Mehki Becton, OT

Charles Leno Jr, OT

Defense

John Jenkins, NT

Jonathan Hankins, NT

Sebastian Joseph-Day, NT

Raekwon Davis, NT

Adam Butler, DT

Isaiah Simmons, LB

Devin White, LB

Adoree Jackson, CB

If, somehow, we swung Aaron Jones, Devin White, and Adoree Jackson......I'd be ecstatic amd ready for the draft. 

So far, I like the moves. They're sensible and not likely to bite us. It's a great departure from Bolden and Hoyer getting sweetheart deals or Grudock doing whatever they thought they were doing. 

3 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Mixon is a bay area kid i'd bring in for sure. Buy low, still 27. Would be a HUGE W for us to get him cheap.

He's basically the same player as Josh Jacobs. Inefficient workhorse that can catch the ball

2 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Personally of what's left:

One of John Jenkins/Adam Butler

I don't think they have to be mutually exclusive. 

Jenkins pencils in as our starting NT and Butler would be the first rotational 3T behind Wilkins. Hard to put faith into Young, Nesta, or M Butler

• Like 1

Wilkins was a huge get and a free agent I wanted bad.. hopefully he pans out but with AP as a coach, I doubt it’s a get paid and slouch move from him. By all accounts he’s a hard worker.. with Maxx and Koonce causing havoc on the edges, he can disrupt the middle.. very little room for opposing olines to successfully double team anyone and that should be a problem. What we’ve lacked for years!

I don’t have a problem with Minshew as a bridge as long as we target a QB in a potential trade up and not just reach for Nix, Penix at 13 because that’s who’s left.. If the plan is to let AOC/Minshew battle it out and target CB/DT/OT because the cost is too much to move into top 3-6 range then I’m ok with it but a little uninspiring, not expecting a division by any means next year as a realist.

Considering we won more than we lost the last 9 games with a 3rd string, statue of a rookie, I’d say with a better D in theory and a vet who should be a better game manager with a little mobility, wild card would still be possible with The Stache. Yes we beat some backups, but we were playing with a 3rd string rookie also that wasn’t consistently moving the ball either.

Maybe take this year to continue to build a core via draft and free agency and go all in on a QB in 2025 draft? Guess we’ll find out in 6 weeks. 

47 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I don't think they have to be mutually exclusive. 

Jenkins pencils in as our starting NT and Butler would be the first rotational 3T behind Wilkins. Hard to put faith into Young, Nesta, or M Butler

Assuming we can't resign both. If we do, even better.

• Like 1

Saw that Wilkins cap hit is only 11.5 for 2024.. leaves us with a decent amount of money once JG and Hunter are officially released.. I can definitely still see an impact signing or 2 still in the cards..

I’d be thrilled with a Patrick Queen + Danielle Hunter signings to round out the 1st and 2nd levels of the D.. Resign Jenkins and Butler for reasonable deals as depth. 2nd year improvement from Tyree would be a lethal quad of Maxx, Hunter, Koonce and Wilson on the edges. Tyree kicks inside on passing downs next to Wilkins.. Plus if Koonce explodes this year then someone likely overpays next year so we’d still have Maxx and Hunter as the primary DE’s heading into 2025 and can draft a Koonce replacement.

Queen, Spillane and Diablo would probably become the best LB trio we’ve had in years and I’m sure there will be a draft pick in the first few rounds plus a mid wave FA vet CB (X. Howard?) who will compete with Bennett and Facyson to start across from Jack Jones. Would still like to find at least one competent OG that can start but that also doesn’t have to be some 8 figure free agent.. Munford could continue to develop and thought he looked decent enough to trot out there but let’s see him compete with a draft pick, Dalton Wagner and a cheaper vet signing at RT. 

Edited by JarrodR86

About 24 mil cap space before Minshew.. + $36 mil with JG/Hunter as Post 6/1 cuts.. So $60m minus Minshew at probably $10-12 mil cap hit leaves 48-50 mil.. I’m sure if they wanted to free up some space and further extend Kolton/Crosby, they could do that and lower ‘24 cap figures for both.. So that reasoning is why I could still see 2 possible high quality signings still hopefully on D plus a handful of signings/resignings in the 2.5-5m range on depth/2nd-3rd wave FA’s. Head into the draft with QB as the only real glaring need and if they want to sell the farm for the guy they think is the one, so be it.. For the most part, every other position would be set on paper.

Edited by JarrodR86
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Hunter and Queen are both likely out of our price range and somewhat redundant with our current personnel. 

Redundant if you’re ready to crown Koonce as a guy and hand him an every down job for 17 games? I like that he finally flashed but I’d feel better with a proven DE across Maxx.. The same can be said for our 3rd LBer.. Diablo hasn’t been exactly dependable as 2 of the 3 LBers with health and inconsistency and i guess we could see another merry go round of Burney, Masterson and Butler as our 3rd LB but I wouldn’t call a Queen addition redundant or out of our price range due to the cap space still available and that could be freed up if needed by extensions.. Maxx is 26, Kolton 28, both only have 2-3 years left on current deals.. Add 2-3 years to each if needed and lower their respective 2024 figure.

1 minute ago, JarrodR86 said:

Redundant if you’re ready to crown Koonce as a guy and hand him an every down job for 17 games? I like that he finally flashed but I’d feel better with a proven DE across Maxx.. The same can be said for our 3rd LBer.. Diablo hasn’t been exactly dependable as 2 of the 3 LBers with health and inconsistency and i guess we could see another merry go round of Burney, Masterson and Butler as our 3rd LB but I wouldn’t call a Queen addition redundant or out of our price range due to the cap space still available and that could be freed up if needed by extensions.. Maxx is 26, Kolton 28, both only have 2-3 years left on current deals.. Add 2-3 years to each if needed and lower their respective 2024 figure.

How are you going to afford paying Hunter $23M+ / Queen $18M+ APY? 

We just drafted Tyree #7 overall and Koonce is finally starting to figure it out. Trust the coaches to develop our talent.

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

If, somehow, we swung Aaron Jones, Devin White, and Adoree Jackson......I'd be ecstatic amd ready for the draft. 

So far, I like the moves. They're sensible and not likely to bite us. It's a great departure from Bolden and Hoyer getting sweetheart deals or Grudock doing whatever they thought they were doing. 

Jones is a baller but I can't see us paying him what he'll want

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

How are you going to afford paying Hunter $23M+ / Queen $18M+ APY? 

We just drafted Tyree #7 overall and Koonce is finally starting to figure it out. Trust the coaches to develop our talent.

Not arguing by any means but I just stated how.. $48-50m with Minshew factored in will be available with JG and Renfrow cuts, we saw how Wilkins is getting 27.5 mil for 4 years but the cap figure is 11.5 for 2024.. same can be done with these signings as well.. Even 12-15 mil cap figure for 2024 on each of Queen/D. Hunter and backload the last 2-3 years of contract.. Rising future salary caps and the potential of a 2024 rookie QB deal mean we can get quality guys with the luxury of low cap QB like McCarthy/Daniels/Penix/Nix or whoever they target.. plus possible extensions/restructures to lower cap figures of Miller/Crosby/DA to potentially make the $48-50m current estimate in cap left even larger.. But for some reason you think it’s impossible.. I think if upgrades can be made and it’s doable under these cap positions, I believe Telesco and AP will strike.. I don’t think each of them think they have some 3+ year window to get it right.. its playoffs or bust mentality but in 2024, and a failure of a season as in McDaniels level results (6 wins or less) could lead to a reset button by MD in 2025, at minimum for AP and don’t get me wrong, I want him to succeed.. So that’s why I think if they can get some studs, add some horses to the stable, they are gonna pounce.

I’ll also add that AP came from that winning formula of a loaded DLine rotation that can harass a OL/QB all game and you can never have enough pass rushers. Also keeping them fresher throughout a game could also benefit overall production individually and as a team. Koonce can still play about 40% of the overall snaps rotating with Crosby and Hunter and Tyree could cut into a bit of that % on sets that both Crosby and Hunter are resting, as well as get snaps kicking inside where he seemed to be looking better as the season went on. 2-3 years of Hunter wouldn’t make or break his future here.. if he improves his hands, fundamentals and pass rushing moves while learning under guys like Crosby and Hunter, he’ll be ready to take over at a young age and primed for an extension once Hunter’s deal would be wrapping up. If not, we move on from him. But I have a feeling a couple years at the pro level for him with development and he’ll be a force. Just not ready to be that dominant force yet but with patience he’ll get there and be a solid pro DE that we’ll look back and be glad we picked.

Edited by JarrodR86

personally don't care for another DE unless it's a cheap situational pass rusher. I'd much rather see us pick up another big body DT who can help in the run game. Tyree can rotate inside as a pass rusher on passing down and bring Koonce in off the edge. But it'd be nice to get another DT to pair with Wilkins on early downs so Tyree's size and strength can be used to set the edge.

Either that or get a 2 down thumper who can stack and shed in the run game if we're gonna have a weak spot inside.

• Like 1