2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

So I figure that this locks in quarterbacks at 1-3, Barkley at 4. Denver could still use a quarterback at 5, but they may not like the left over quarterback is much. So I could see quarterback / Nelson / trade down with bills (who would then take a quarterback - I believe that they love Allen is the rumor). Colts at 6 I feel would look Barkley / Nelson / Chubb. Tampa at 7 could be Ward / Minkah / James  or whoever is left over from barkley/chubb/nelson if denver takes a quarterback, while Chicago at 8 may look heavily at Edmunds on one of the secondary guys if they don't match the offer on Fuller. 

I think it’s agoodtrade for us. Basically it’s gonna force the early QB run. We may get lucky enough to see some teams trade up to get a QB that could have potentially been drafted after us. Could leave some people on the board that’s good for us and get some desperate teams to reach for the one QB left on the board at our pick. 

38 minutes ago, Forge said:

Joke's on you, good sir, they did it for Chubb!

No, seriously...I would assume (or hope), that the team has very similar grades on three of the four quarterbacks available, and thus they don't care. Otherwise, this really is a horrible deal. Set this up in principle, then wait for draft day to consummate when you're player is there. Couldn't agree more. 

I still don't get it. Not caring, and just hoping to grab one outta 3 QBs?? As if you're going to risk your organization on the roll of the dice. Each QB has different skill sets and will fit differently into the scheme you're implementing and hence why you'd want one over another. To say they don't care is crazy... but hey it's the Jets so who knows.

And personally, while there may be 5 QBs in the first I have my doubts more than 2 are going end up being franchise caliber.

3 minutes ago, the-catch said:

I still don't get it. Not caring, and just hoping to grab one outta 3 QBs?? As if you're going to risk your organization on the roll of the dice. Each QB has different skill sets and will fit differently into the scheme you're implementing and hence why you'd want one over another. To say they don't care is crazy... but hey it's the Jets so who knows.

And personally, while there may be 5 QBs in the first I have my doubts more than 2 are going end up being franchise caliber.

Yes, but those different skillsets and different pros and cons could easily weigh out similarly in overall grades for them. They all have different strengths and weaknesses, but when you account for everything, who's to say that they don't have 3 quarterbacks graded between a 91-93 and their 4th rated quarterback is like an 85? This assures them one of those three if they have comparable grades on them all after their evaluations. I'm sure that they still have a 1/2/3 ranking of them all, but it may have been more important to them to make sure that they get 1-3 rather than settling on #4 who they don't like nearly as much, especially if they are dead set on acquiring a quarterback in this draft with their first pick (which obviously, it appears that they are) 

I think I'm on team Roquan this year. He's just an excellent ILB with everything you want, save a little size. Intelligent player, great athlete, high character, he's also something of a hedge against Reuben Foster going down in flames. What I like is that if Foster holds it together, there's still enough room on the field for both he and Roquan. Seems like the perfect match of value and fit.

Roquan's clearly got it between the ears, and I think that's a more rare gift than some people appreciate. Compared to a guy like Edmunds where there is more freakish athleticism, but you're not sure he knows how to play his position...I'll go for a guy like Roquan every time. Plus, he's a leader, a guy who diagnoses formations and calls defensive shifts. The defense still needs a young guy capable of taking on that role.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Joke's on you, good sir, they did it for Chubb!

No, seriously...I would assume (or hope), that the team has very similar grades on three of the four quarterbacks available, and thus they don't care. Otherwise, this really is a horrible deal. Set this up in principle, then wait for draft day to consummate when you're player is there. Couldn't agree more. 

This.  When you can't differentiate to any degree of accuracy between guys at the same position then getting extra picks in exchange for taking which ever one is left is a good move. This is exactly the same situation that I criticized Baalke for when he moved up to take Garnett when it was not clear that Garnett was better than Martin or Whitehair. Besides there's still a chance that either the Browns or NY take a non-QB ... of course it seems likely that other teams wanted a QB will move up to those spots.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

So I figure that this locks in quarterbacks at 1-3, Barkley at 4. Denver could still use a quarterback at 5, but they may not like the left over quarterback is much. So I could see quarterback / Nelson / trade down with bills (who would then take a quarterback - I believe that they love Allen is the rumor). Colts at 6 I feel would look Barkley / Nelson / Chubb. Tampa at 7 could be Ward / Minkah / James  or whoever is left over from barkley/chubb/nelson if denver takes a quarterback, while Chicago at 8 may look heavily at Edmunds on one of the secondary guys if they don't match the offer on Fuller. 

They already matched on Fuller. 

58 minutes ago, the-catch said:

I've seen each of 3 QBs rated as best by guys that are "experts" in those kinds of evaluations.  No one knows who's going to be the best of them. In any case maybe they tried to move up to one or two and found the price too high.  What they gave up to get what they believe will be a franchise QB is pretty reasonable.

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

They already matched on Fuller. 

Must not have been a crazy offer lol. I figured they would take up all 5 days just to hold the Packers up lol. So I think Edmunds would be high on their priority list then. Maybe James. I know that they had Amos at safety last year, and he's pretty good, I have no idea who the other safety is though. 

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The trade up doesn't real impact us all that much. I fully expected four QBs to go before our pick anyways. What it comes down to is if a team really likes Rudolph or Jackson and try to get up in the top 10 range. 

It helps us in that a trade up, if that is what they want to do, costs less and is easier.  Plus since the Jets only surrendered 3 2s to move up that makes other trade ups in that range cheaper.

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The trade up doesn't real impact us all that much. I fully expected four QBs to go before our pick anyways. What it comes down to is if a team really likes Rudolph or Jackson and try to get up in the top 10 range. 

We NEED for all four QBs to go in the top 8. I'm assuming Chubb and Barkley also go. Probably Nelson too, but my wildest dream is that two teams like, and need, Fitzpatrick and Ward, or Edmunds, more than a G.

3 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Damn. Sorry to hear that. Ward would have been a good pick for them. 

Ward would be a good pick up for us as well. 

This may sound blasphemy, but not sure we draft Nelson if available anyways. I sure would, and you as well as most others would, but I think we go defense with the 1st pick. That is the side of the field that is lacking and the offense will still be a top 5-7 unit regardless. 

Archived