2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

So terrible. Just awful. After what I consider a questionable free agency period, I'm going to start to have serious concerns moving forward. 

Reading Matt's mock tho it made it sound like his was a guess and not that he had insider info. Also Matt doesn't really study draft eligible players so he's not aware that McG isn't a fit.

5 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

I can't remember who it was, but I saw some talent scout had said 2 or 3 weeks back that McGlinchey was going to be a surprise top 10 pick. I thought it was Mayok but I could be wrong.

I believe that was Gil Brandt but then he corrected himself and said

Brandt claims he was misquoted. “I’m getting killed on Twitter,” he said in a tweet directed to King. “I didn’t realize you were asking me a prediction for the top 10. I thought you asked what would surprise me most in top 10. I would be shocked if McGlinchey went in top 10. I wouldn’t be shocked if he slid out of Round

8 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Reading Matt's mock tho it made it sound like his was a guess and not that he had insider info. Also Matt doesn't really study draft eligible players so he's not aware that McG isn't a fit.

But apparently, that means several people aren't aware of that. It's possible that Shanny and company do view him as a fit, which is beyond crazy to me. But that's a more logical assumption than just thinking that everyone else doesn't know the difference between power based and zone based scheme, what McGlinchey is (and isn't) as a prospect, and where his weaknesses lie. If that's the case, they shouldn't have a job. I don't understand how they see that at all. I don't like the all the smoke coming about now in just the 48 hours leading to the draft. That's either some ballsy false leakage, or there is fire where we are seeing the smoke. 

Just now, 49erurtaza said:

I believe that was Gil Brandt 

Was just about to post that - yes, it was Gil Brandt I believe in a MMQB for Peter King I believe. He got a bunch of hate for it; so much so that he had to clarify his statement. 

4 hours ago, John232 said:

Yeah, if we don't address edge within the first 3 rounds, I'm going to have serious reservations about Lynch's and co's ability to discern needs. Pass-rush is a massive need and it doesn't take an expert to see that. 

Most important postion, and by far, is QB. After that it's a guy that can keep the other team's QB from performing well. If you don't have a great edge rusher than you need to address it. Landry or Davenport would be the answere if you believe either of them are worth that high of a pick. Would be interesting to see how the team grades those two guys. But after that, they still have to look for guys. The higher up, the better.

3 hours ago, Forge said:

Charlie Campbell updated his mock today - has Roquan available at our pick and has us selecting him (though he does not that apparently we love Minkah, which I've heard several times now). He has McGlinchey going the next pick to the Raiders. 

I'm not necessarily thinking we pick Smith - because I don't necessarily think he'll be there.  But if I were predicting who we want the most out of the guys that have a chance of being there it would be Smith.

FWIW I justt heard a pretty lengthy interview with him on the radio. He's the anti-Reuben. Articulate, humble, thoughtful, hungry to succeed. If our team is giving extra points for high character guys he should have easily earned his bonus points.

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Was just about to post that - yes, it was Gil Brandt I believe in a MMQB for Peter King I believe. He got a bunch of hate for it; so much so that he had to clarify his statement. 

Lol, how did he clarify it?

3 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I have a feeling we are going to draft Fitzpatrick and I'm ok with it.

I think the Minkah love is legit - it's been mentioned by a few sources. I'm perfectly fine with that. He's got skill and talent, and he's one of the smartest defensive backs to come out in a while. I'd be a little concerned if he doesn't want to play safety and then that's where we decide to play him, but that's a problem for another day.  I just don't know if he'd be number one our board. 

1 minute ago, Ftn49 said:

Lol, how did he clarify it?

Brandt claims he was misquoted. “I’m getting killed on Twitter,” he said in a tweet directed to King. “I didn’t realize you were asking me a prediction for the top 10. I thought you asked what would surprise me most in top 10. I would be shocked if McGlinchey went in top 10. I wouldn’t be shocked if he slid out of Round 1.”

3 hours ago, Forge said:

So if we stay at 9, who are your three most likely selections for the niners? Not the guys you want us to draft, but the guy you think we will. I'd probably say: 

1. Smith

2. Edmunds

3. Minkah

Yes for Smith and Edmunds. Probably for Minkah. I still think Ward is a better d-back but since this is about what our FO would do I think they would prefer Minkah. But they might also like James as well. Honestly, I think there's still some chance for either Landry or Davenport. I guess with a gun to my head I'd go with Minkah at 3 as well.

15 minutes ago, Forge said:

So terrible. Just awful. After what I consider a questionable free agency period, I'm going to start to have serious concerns moving forward. 

I did like his other picks in the mock even though they seemed a bit unrealistic, but man if we go McGlinchey would that be a big bummer. So much defensive talent in this draft and we go with a tackle who probably won't even be as good as Brown. 

Archived