The Hitman Cometh

swede700

41 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

If the Vikings end up cutting Smith, are we thinking an outright cut to save $11.3M in cap space heading into free agency? Or a post June 1st designation, creating $15M in space in June? 

Personally, I’d label him a post June 1st cut and save more later. 

If it were me as GM...a job I am completely unqualified for...I would cut him before free agency begins to give him every opportunity to sign on to the best possible situation if he intends to continue playing. It's not much, but it shows a little respect for an outstanding player in Vikings history. I understand doing this doesn't clear as much cap space as waiting until 6/1.

Edited by Captain Relax

47 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

If it were me as GM...a job I am completely unqualified for...I would cut him before free agency begins to give him every opportunity to sign on to the best possible situation if he intends to continue playing. It's not much, but it shows a little respect for an outstanding player in Vikings history. I understand doing this doesn't clear as much cap space as waiting until 6/1.

They can cut him before 6/1 designating him as a post 6/1 cut.  That would allow him to sign elsewhere.  The team would just still have to count his full cap number until 6/1.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Unless they run it back with Cousins, I would clear as much dead cap up in 2024 as possible so they can spend money in 2025

This is what I agree with. 
If we’re not running it back with Cousins, we’re likely not going to be a big free agent destination for top players in a couple weeks unfortunately. So could be fair to take more dead cap hit in 2024. 

23 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

This is what I agree with. 
If we’re not running it back with Cousins, we’re likely not going to be a big free agent destination for top players in a couple weeks unfortunately. So could be fair to take more dead cap hit in 2024. 

They're not going to be a big destination regardless, but I wouldn't think they'd want to hamstring themselves completely in 2024 by taking the full hit on Harry when they'd already be taking the $28M hit on Kirk.  Spread it out as much as possible to keep flexibility.  You cut him post 6/1, we're only talking about a $4M cap hit on 2025 while saving $15M this year.  Of course, they could just take that $4M this year instead by cutting him pre 6/1, but they may need that to make any in-season moves. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, swede700 said:

They're not going to be a big destination regardless, but I wouldn't think they'd want to hamstring themselves completely in 2024 by taking the full hit on Harry when they'd already be taking the $28M hit on Kirk.  Spread it out as much as possible to keep flexibility.  You cut him post 6/1, we're only talking about a $4M cap hit on 2025 while saving $15M this year.  Of course, they could just take that $4M this year instead by cutting him pre 6/1, but they may need that to make any in-season moves. 

What i don’t know is can we intend to put it all this year (pre 6/1) , but later pivot it to post 6/1 , if something comes up and we can positively use additional space now. Or you have to choose one way or the other at the onset

6 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

What i don’t know is can we intend to put it all this year (pre 6/1) , but later pivot it to post 6/1 , if something comes up and we can positively use additional space now. Or you have to choose one way or the other at the onset

It has to be determined at the time of release. 

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

How much can get carried over to the next year if they don't use it?

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if he has coaching aspirations for after his playing career is over? He seems more like a guy that quietly disappears into retirement rarely to be heard from again. 

I said season originally but meant to say after his career is over. And I should add that disappearing like that would be pretty legendary, truly living the dream. 

Edited by skywindO2
  • Like 2

Harrison Smith:

"I knew physically I still felt good and could still move around and be a productive football player. Ultimately the joy that football brings me and my family and doing it here for a 13th year, which if you had told me that when I was drafted here, I probably wouldn't have believed you."

"It's pretty pretty special to be here, I definitely cherish that and don't take it for granted. Something that I do appreciate and there's a lot that goes into that that's not just about myself. It's about people I've been around and teammates I've had. Support staff, and too many people to name, really."

"But it's been an amazing ride and I want to continue it."

vikings.com 

• Like 2