Commanders hire former Warriors GM Bob Myers and Rick Spielman as execs to help GM and HC search

MikeT14

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I think Myers is your new Team President or Head of Football Operations, and he will hire a GM with the help of Spielman, and this is more than a temporary position.  

Spielmans got experience as gm. They don't need to look any farther

1 minute ago, vikesfan89 said:

Hes 61 years old and already done this for a while.  He could be an Executive VP of Football Operations here, and be the guy acclimating Myers to the NFL and major players.  It seems that the NFL reporter world is split on what role Myers has.  Schefter believes temporary, while Rapoport believes it is more permanent.  

4 minutes ago, StatKing said:

What the hell does Bob Myers know about football?

If he’s hiring someone with sound thought processes about how to build an NFL front office and vision, that’s what I care about.  The leadership and structure is way more important to me, and I think Bob Myers knows that very well.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StatKing said:

His job is to be cannon fodder so that if(/when) the hire goes bad people don't blame ownership. Football knowledge optional.

(Seriously though, this is an upper middle management job, so he's going to be thinking about stuff like "should the college scouts report to the same boss as the pro scouts?" kind of stuff. And he won't even make the decision on his own, so it's more about bringing different ideas. And seriously, also the cannon fodder part.)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

Wouldn’t trust Spielman to find a head coach or QB. Seems to be drawn to those old school rigid guys ie Childress and Zimmer that create toxic work environments. Maybe he’ll change, who knows. Maybe as an advisor and not a decision maker he’ll be ok. Maybe since he’s been involved with head coaches that were toxic, they’ll go against who he wants. But Washington should know plenty about that.

Edited by vikingsrule

8 minutes ago, StatKing said:

For what he was hired for, he doesn't need to be an X's and O's guy it seems. He's helping to find the guy to head up the department. 

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

Wouldn’t trust Spielman to find a head coach or QB. Seems to be drawn to those old school rigid guys ie Childress and Zimmer that create toxic work environments. Maybe he’ll change, who knows. Maybe as an advisor and not a decision maker he’ll be ok. 

Having the 2nd choice would help in finding a QB. He didn't have anything to do with hiring Childress did he?

Just now, vikesfan89 said:

Having the 2nd choice would help in finding a QB. He didn't have anything to do with hiring Childress did he?

No not really. I mean he was involved im sure after he was hired. Spielman came in a year later I think.