Wild Card GDT: Green Bay Packers @ Dallas Cowboys

MaddHatter

49 minutes ago, The_Slamman said:

100% disagree.  Dak’s 2 ints in the first half gifted the packers 14 points and gave us a 27 point deficit.  Last year, same thing with the ints in SF which lead to a loss.  The year before that, another loss at home to SF where Dak did not play well.  We are talking about 2 home playoff games in 3 years where he really struggled.  And just an fyi… I know you weren’t around much during those years but I called it before the games.  I knew Dak would struggle.  Dak could be a very good bus driver qb but he is not a guy who can carry the team against good teams.  He needs a strong running game and a defense that will give him extra opportunities.  This is why I HATED HIS CONTRACT EXTENSION.  If Dak plays for a team friendly deal, great.  If not, he can GTFO.  We have the pieces in place for a young qb to succeed and the savings, we can bring in some FAs/trades and put together a SF type roster.

And we MAY, May, mind you, already have that QB on our roster. Top 3 overall pick is worth looking into. We gave up a 4th to get him. 

I am on the "Dak has hit his ceiling" train. I've taken heat all season questioning his ability to translate his talents in the regular season to the post-season. 

I admitted calling for a QB switch after the Ariz loss was a bit knee-jerk. I owned my frustration on that.

Why, then, is it so difficult for all the Dak supporters to consider the possibility that Dak has reached his ceiling and its time. It just is. He looks lost in the playoffs, every year. He is getting beat by QBs that were never even in a playoff game before!

You know, this Cowboys team continues to set records with each passing year and early exit in the post season. But these records are of the dubious nature. NOT what you want to be known for.

Edited by Rtnldave

4 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

100% disagree.  Dak’s 2 ints in the first half gifted the packers 14 points and gave us a 27 point deficit.  Last year, same thing with the ints in SF which lead to a loss.  The year before that, another loss at home to SF where Dak did not play well.  We are talking about 2 home playoff games in 3 years where he really struggled.  And just an fyi… I know you weren’t around much during those years but I called it before the games.  I knew Dak would struggle.  Dak could be a very good bus driver qb but he is not a guy who can carry the team against good teams.  He needs a strong running game and a defense that will give him extra opportunities.  This is why I HATED HIS CONTRACT EXTENSION.  If Dak plays for a team friendly deal, great.  If not, he can GTFO.  We have the pieces in place for a young qb to succeed and the savings, we can bring in some FAs/trades and put together a SF type roster.

First INT wasn’t on Dak - that’s on the WR being weak on a well thrown ball and letting the DB go through him.  Dak was also perfect on multiple throws to Lamb that were inexplicably dropped.  The. He had the boneheaded pick 6 that gifted San Fran 6 which I’ll give you.

As for previous years, he was 15 TDs to 5 TO going into that game, with multiple 4QCB that his D blew 

• Like 1

On 1/16/2024 at 4:16 PM, MaddHatter said:

First INT wasn’t on Dak - that’s on the WR being weak on a well thrown ball and letting the DB go through him.  Dak was also perfect on multiple throws to Lamb that were inexplicably dropped.  The. He had the boneheaded pick 6 that gifted San Fran 6 which I’ll give you.

As for previous years, he was 15 TDs to 5 TO going into that game, with multiple 4QCB that his D blew 

It’s pointless again much like end of year last year the only way people will believe that Dak is nothing but junk is unless Dak wins the superbowl any seemingly support of Dak as being a valid option for the Dallas Cowboys will be viewed as the person having blind faith in a loser and unable to accept reality.  They talked about unable to win the big game then the definition of a big game changed. Dak has won big games  

For record  I counted THREE bad decisions by Dak watching all 22 in the GB game plus a number of elite high risk throws. (First interception not a “bad” throw).  It doesn’t matter to them what he does if we lose is all that counts.  Yes one of those bad throws (for sure the WORST was the pick six.  BUT score at time 20-0 so yeah.  I would love a non biased discussion about the plus minus or that play but good luck there also. Game was over as our D showed that they had ZERO ability to get a stop if needed.   

• Like 2

Allow me to retort. You are presenting your point of view based on the assumption that Dak's only contribution to this loss was predicated on 3 plays and that the defense was the main culprit. 

While I cannot deny that the defense was abysmal, Dak's contribution,or lack there of, was far greater than those plays.

He was confused most of th 1st half, the 1st quarter alone tells the story: 0.0 passer rating, 0 completions for 0 yards.

1 pick, down 14 to 0.

Dak Prescott lacks Poise. All DC know this and anyone with a decent team to play with can coach up a defense to put him in a position to make mistakes. We've seen this 3 years in a row. The lack of poise is what the opposition is counting on and its been effective for the better part of his career.

And allow me to address one other issue. Just because there are those of us on here that believe Dak has reached his ceiling as a starting QB does NOT mean we are saying that he is "garbage." 

He clearly has a skill set that is capable of winning games in this league. What I, and if I can speak for others on here, are saying is that his skill set DOES NOT translate to the post-season, and it hasn't for 8 years now. A 2-4 record in post season play is nothing to celebrate.

17 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

He clearly has a skill set that is capable of winning games in this league. What I, and if I can speak for others on here, are saying is that his skill set DOES NOT translate to the post-season, and it hasn't for 8 years now. A 2-4 record in post season play is nothing to celebrate.

And it’s something you absolutely can’t reward with a new contract to make him highest paid player in the league. You don’t reward mediocre results! 

• Like 1

On 1/16/2024 at 7:16 PM, MaddHatter said:

Agreed here. And what some folks need to realize is that defenders get paid, too. That was a damn good read on the second pick. Knew what was coming (through study), sat on it, baited it, jumped it, and picked it. Could Dak have done better? ABSOLUTELY! But these defensive players sometimes make great plays too, and that was one of them

5 hours ago, textaz03 said:

And it’s something you absolutely can’t reward with a new contract to make him highest paid player in the league. You don’t reward mediocre results! 

Damn straight!

I'd like to think that Dallas is working some numbers and running scenarios of life with Dak and life without.  As others have posted the money going to Dak on an extension could fill a lot of holes.   Flip side is you could find yourself in QB purgatory if you move on from Prescott.  Look at the Green Bay model.  Favre on the roster they draft Rodgers.  Rodgers on the roster they draft Love. Seemed to work out.  When one has all of their eggs in one basket, that tends to force ones hand.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rtnldave said:

Allow me to retort. You are presenting your point of view based on the assumption that Dak's only contribution to this loss was predicated on 3 plays and that the defense was the main culprit. 

While I cannot deny that the defense was abysmal, Dak's contribution,or lack there of, was far greater than those plays.

He was confused most of th 1st half, the 1st quarter alone tells the story: 0.0 passer rating, 0 completions for 0 yards.

1 pick, down 14 to 0.

Dak Prescott lacks Poise. All DC know this and anyone with a decent team to play with can coach up a defense to put him in a position to make mistakes. We've seen this 3 years in a row. The lack of poise is what the opposition is counting on and its been effective for the better part of his career.

And allow me to address one other issue. Just because there are those of us on here that believe Dak has reached his ceiling as a starting QB does NOT mean we are saying that he is "garbage." 

His first Q stats are completely misleading as he had 1/4 for 0 yards, his completion on a bubble screen that was poorly blocked, and 2 incompletions came on drops and I believe his 3rd was a throw away.  He attempted four passes in that quarter because we only had the ball for 3minutes and we failed to convert a third down and punted after GB took ten minutes off the clock on their first drive.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, MaddHatter said:

His first Q stats are completely misleading as he had 1/4 for 0 yards, his completion on a bubble screen that was poorly blocked, and 2 incompletions came on drops and I believe his 3rd was a throw away.  He attempted four passes in that quarter because we only had the ball for 3minutes and we failed to convert a third down and punted after GB took ten minutes off the clock on their first drive.

Be that as it may, THAT cannot happen in a playoff game. Some of those drops were a bit off the mark. That's nerves.

6 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

Be that as it may, THAT cannot happen in a playoff game. Some of those drops were a bit off the mark. That's nerves.

The first incompletion to Lamb was definitely a bit of a misfire, would've been a tricky catch by Ceedee. As soon as that pass fell incomplete I had a feeling we were in for a rough day

20 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

The first incompletion to Lamb was definitely a bit of a misfire, would've been a tricky catch by Ceedee. As soon as that pass fell incomplete I had a feeling we were in for a rough day

I had the same feeling. 

17 hours ago, Rtnldave said:

Agreed for sure but to sit and say look at those stats Dak sucks and not take the context of it all ….  Is what upsets us again we have zero people here saying Dak wasn’t perfect but seriously using this game as reasons you say we need to change QB or we will NEVER win is just as over the top statement as me saying Dak was perfect this game 

2 hours ago, quiller said:

Agreed for sure but to sit and say look at those stats Dak sucks and not take the context of it all ….  Is what upsets us again we have zero people here saying Dak wasn’t perfect but seriously using this game as reasons you say we need to change QB or we will NEVER win is just as over the top statement as me saying Dak was perfect this game 

To be honest, I don't hold with you. If this was Dak's first playoff loss and people were calling for a new QB, I agree with your analogy, but this is his 4th loss and 3rd in a row, 2 of them at home, and turnovers in every one of them.

There are many reasons in the way he has under performed in these games for us calling for a new QB. 

We will simply have to agree to disagree.