New OC Candidates - Workin towards Waldron (pg 18)

StLunatic88

15 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

You have to interview 2 for HC and 1 for OC/DC 

^^this is correct. i believe they changed it last year or year prior to that to eliminate the "token minority candidate" that was getting interviewed just to satisfy the rule ala Bienamy 

• Like 1

Getting this right is so important IMO, regardless of which QB we have next year. There are so few truly transcendent “coach-proof” QBs. Look at Hurts with Steichen in 2022 compared to with their 2023 OC. Night and day. Look at Josh Allen with Daboll or Joe Brady at OC vs. Dorsey. Tua was a big bust until they got McDaniel and now he led the league in passing yards. Even Mahomes with Nagy calling plays vs. Reid is significantly worse. Beyond the top guys, look at Garoppolo with and without Shanahan. Alex Smith with or without Reid.

We know Fields isn’t coach-proof but that doesn’t mean he can’t succeed. If we go with Williams, we certainly cant assume he’ll be coach-proof either. Ideally he is, but that’s got to be a bonus and not an expectation. 

• Like 1

Kubkak and Waldron are my 1A/1B - i'd be ok with either. If we bring in Waldron, I'd like to see Greg Olson brought in as his QB coach. Not sure who Kubiak would have - his QB coach when he was an OC/playcaller in MN was Andrew Janoko. I wonder if that guy is available?

3 hours ago, Bigbear72 said:

Rooney rule or serious candidate?

Thomas Brown is a serious candidate...

Plenty of experience within the McVay system...was made AHC after just one year on staff before be paid really well to just to Carolina...has been interviewed by the Titans for their HC role this offseason as well...leadership is his best trait...

Concerns would be limited play calling experience during his time in Carolina and doesn't have a background with QBs...

Would be #3 for me if he has a plan to bring a quality staff with him.

4 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Thomas Brown is a serious candidate...

Plenty of experience within the McVay system...was made AHC after just one year on staff before be paid really well to just to Carolina...has been interviewed by the Titans for their HC role this offseason as well...leadership is his best trait...

Concerns would be limited play calling experience during his time in Carolina and doesn't have a background with QBs...

Would be #3 for me if he has a plan to bring a quality staff with him.

That offense was bloody AWFUL, even worse after Reich was fired.

1 minute ago, G08 said:

That offense was bloody AWFUL, even worse after Reich was fired.

I didn't say they were good just that he had experience hahahaha

In saying that the horse had already shat by that point and Carolina were cooked.

A part of me wonders if we are trying to get a feel for the entire staff... something like:

OC: Waldron

QB coach: Olson

Pass game coordinator: Coen or Brown

Run game coordinator: Roman

Just now, G08 said:

A part of me wonders if we are trying to get a feel for the entire staff... something like:

OC: Waldron

QB coach: Olson

Pass game coordinator: Coen or Brown

Run game coordinator: Roman

Roman for me still wouldn't make sense...the schemes are just too different...

Could see them trying to get as much of that 2020 LA Rams staff together as they can.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Looks like the Saints will be running the "Shanahan/McVay" offence as well this season...hopefully we start to home in on who we want soon.

Kind of makes you wonder if there's not a college scheme out there to adapt so you're not all chasing the the same types of players running the same plays and routes. 

1 hour ago, HuskieBear said:

Kubkak and Waldron are my 1A/1B - i'd be ok with either. If we bring in Waldron, I'd like to see Greg Olson brought in as his QB coach. Not sure who Kubiak would have - his QB coach when he was an OC/playcaller in MN was Andrew Janoko. I wonder if that guy is available?

Lol. You’d hope whoever the OC is can get a QB coach with play calling experience for the sake of continuity should that guy eventually be hired away. 

1 hour ago, HuskieBear said:

Guess would be he just brings Klay Kubiak who is the assistant QB coach in San Fran just now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Guess would be he just brings Klay Kubiak who is the assistant QB coach in San Fran just now.

Worth noting if we are going the Williams route. It would telegraph our move (maybe we sit on any formal announcement until post-Fields trade?) but hiring Scangarello as QB coach for Williams would make a ton of sense to me. It would be the very definition of a consistent voice in the kid’s ear and he’d come in the door with a lot of trust. Especially during what would be a HUGE transition year I think that comfort for him would be big. 

• Like 2