Boycott paying networks - Stand up, or get bent over.

Mid Iowa

5 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

That 1 caveat makes quite a bit of difference for anyone who's moved outside of their team's local market. 

If you are still in the local market, virtually everything you think was pretty neat back then still applies today.

I used to watch my Hawkeyes nearly every weekend, both basketball and football. Now nearly every game is on FS1 or The B1G 10 network. So, no, your statement isn't accurate, and I'm in the exact same market.

On 1/13/2024 at 3:26 PM, Mid Iowa said:

I've about had it with these networks AND the NFL for what they're doing to fans.

In order for you to have watched every prime time game this season, you'd need:

Amazon Prime - $139 per year
NFL Network - $50 per year
Peacock - $72-143 per year
ESPN - $110 per year
Or Sunday Ticket (which doesn't show you every game) - $449 per year
I'm not going to add Red Zone as that's a different story.

So you're between $371 to $442 (or $891 if you want Sunday Ticket) just to see all the prime time games, now including playoff games.

You may also have a cost to get your local network affiliates, but that's difficult to tally. I actually use an antenna, but that relegates me to local teams, or marquee games.

I've already been disenchanted by College Football for all their different fees for different games or even clubs. Big 10 network for starters, and most of the BCS games being on ESPN.

So your choices are:
A) Don't watch and just keep up to speed via the internet.
B) Bend over and take it.
C) Go to a local bar and pay their higher prices if you care to eat or drink there, knowing these establishments have to pay more based on their patron capacity, so you're still supporting the greedy networks.
D) Stand up to these greedy networks who already get paid plenty through advertisements.

Going to see a game live is expensive enough, and now you have this on top of it. They're sucking the life out of football fans, and it will eventually change the game, dramatically.

The NFL is rapidly becoming a game for either the wealthy(er) or those willing to go broke to watch.

I will not support this any longer.

what about DAZN? I don't see that on your list, price seems decent

If people have to pay $200+ a year AND be subject to all the commercials, then shut er down and call it game.   This isn't rotary phones +  long distance landlines in the 1970's anymore

Fire goodell and see if anything changes,  thats a start that most would approve of. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mid Iowa said:

I'm going to start with this study that supports my comment about youth turning to other things. SUPER FANCY LINK <- please read. Again, this supports my point that you're "failing to see".

And my goodness, you respond like I'm attacking someone. I'm simply stating that things are slowly getting out of hand. 20 (even 25) years ago football absolutely was on FOX and CBS. Now, perhaps this was in my area and not yours, but it went like this. FOX carried the NFC, CBS carried the AFC, and NBC had Sunday Night Football. MNF was on ESPN.

Also in my very specific area, cheap antenna don't work due to large metal and concrete grain storage structures, so yes, cheaper options are available, but they don't work worth a crap.

I really appreciate that you don't have a money problem. Good for you! Truly. Some people aren't as lucky, and that is my point. Read through this thread and you'll see that you're either paying, pirating, or watching whatever the local broadcast is. These 3 things are a fact. 

"Now, perhaps this was in my area and not yours, but it went like this. FOX carried the NFC, CBS carried the AFC, and NBC had Sunday Night Football. MNF was on ESPN"

You just described what it still is today. The only difference is there are a handful relative to the rest of the games on NFLN, Peacock and Prime.

But guess what...if you were so inclined, you could easily find a bar that played these, go there and order something cheap off the menu.

Your article about football declining has little relevance to the NFLs popularity. Go look at the most watched primetime shows, the ratings for national games, etc. Its alive and well. Rams/Lions last week illustrates that well.

And I'm not sure what age group you're talking about when you said "kids", but with fantasy football I am confident that is not the case. The NFL is more popular than ever and will continue to grow in popularity

5 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

I really appreciate that you don't have a money problem. Good for you! Truly. Some people aren't as lucky, and that is my point. Read through this thread and you'll see that you're either paying, pirating, or watching whatever the local broadcast is. These 3 things are a fact. 

And once again, I ask - how is this any different than 20 years ago?  

This is where you keep losing me.  You make it seem like the same methods to watch football 20 years ago don't still exist today. 

And my goodness, you respond like I'm attacking someone. I'm simply stating that things are slowly getting out of hand. 20 (even 25) years ago football absolutely was on FOX and CBS. Now, perhaps this was in my area and not yours, but it went like this. FOX carried the NFC, CBS carried the AFC, and NBC had Sunday Night Football. MNF was on ESPN.

You mean the exact same way it is today?

I'm going to start with this study that supports my comment about youth turning to other things. SUPER FANCY LINK <- please read. Again, this supports my point that you're "failing to see".

Where in that study do they suggest football participation is declining as a result of fewer households being able to watch football?  The article cites health concerns as the reason why that is happening.  Not because kids can't watch football and are losing interest as a result.  

Edited by iknowcool

11 hours ago, iknowcool said:

And once again, I ask - how is this any different than 20 years ago?  

Where in that study do they suggest football participation is declining as a result of fewer households being able to watch football?  The article cites health concerns as the reason why that is happening.  Not because kids can't watch football and are losing interest as a result.  

What's different? Mostly the pirating part, and then the paying part - which is what started this post - as 20 years ago it was ESPN that you had to pay for, and you could purchase Sunday Ticket if you wanted to cherry pick what you watched.

As far as what's causing it, I'd speculate many things combined.

At the end of the day, you and I are clearly not going to agree on this topic at all. So, go enjoy your game the way you prefer, I'll to the same, and I'll continue to boycott in the way I see fit and prefer.

32 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

What's different? Mostly the pirating part, and then the paying part - which is what started this post - as 20 years ago it was ESPN that you had to pay for, and you could purchase Sunday Ticket if you wanted to cherry pick what you watched.

I'm still lost.  What is different?  You can still purchase Sunday Ticket if you want to cherry pick what you watch.  You can still get cable (aka ESPN and NFLN).  You can still watch games on CBS, Fox, and NBC on over-the-air TV.  TNF is free to watch on Twitch.

It isn't about agreeing or disagreeing with you.  You just keep saying things are different without explaining how they are, or the explanations you give don't show any difference whatsoever.  

Can you name more than 5 games (out of the 544 regular season games + however many playoff games so far) this season that required you to pay for a subscription to watch, that you otherwise wouldn't have had to 20 years ago?

As far as what's causing it, I'd speculate many things combined.

You were critical of me for saying "I think" or "feels like" and you wanted facts brought to the table.  Now you're just "speculating" because the article you told me to read cited health concerns for kids dropping out, not because they didn't have access to watch football.  

All is good though.  Just a harmless debate.  

Edited by iknowcool

• 3 weeks later...