Boycott paying networks - Stand up, or get bent over.

Mid Iowa

I've about had it with these networks AND the NFL for what they're doing to fans.

In order for you to have watched every prime time game this season, you'd need:

Amazon Prime - $139 per year
NFL Network - $50 per year
Peacock - $72-143 per year
ESPN - $110 per year
Or Sunday Ticket (which doesn't show you every game) - $449 per year
I'm not going to add Red Zone as that's a different story.

So you're between $371 to $442 (or $891 if you want Sunday Ticket) just to see all the prime time games, now including playoff games.

You may also have a cost to get your local network affiliates, but that's difficult to tally. I actually use an antenna, but that relegates me to local teams, or marquee games.

I've already been disenchanted by College Football for all their different fees for different games or even clubs. Big 10 network for starters, and most of the BCS games being on ESPN.

So your choices are:
A) Don't watch and just keep up to speed via the internet.
B) Bend over and take it.
C) Go to a local bar and pay their higher prices if you care to eat or drink there, knowing these establishments have to pay more based on their patron capacity, so you're still supporting the greedy networks.
D) Stand up to these greedy networks who already get paid plenty through advertisements.

Going to see a game live is expensive enough, and now you have this on top of it. They're sucking the life out of football fans, and it will eventually change the game, dramatically.

The NFL is rapidly becoming a game for either the wealthy(er) or those willing to go broke to watch.

I will not support this any longer.

• Like 7

I mean is it that much worse than having to pay for cable?  And why would you keep Peacock, ESPN, and Prime for an entire year if you are only using it for football season?  And if you have Youtube TV w/ Sunday Ticket, you wouldn't need Peacock (well, except for tonight's game), NFL Network, or ESPN to watch those games since they are included.  

• Like 7

I just “find” the games. Costs me nothing. 👀 The NFL gets away with this because a lot of people do pay for it. All of it. I love football. I watch 8-12 games a week. That $500 is a plane ticket for a vacation. I’m not spending it on games. 

• Like 9

Unpopular opinion: it is ok to pay for things. That's how things are supposed to work. I watch pretty much every game I want over the course of a year and I don't think I spend more than my parents spent on cable a decade ago (granted I cancel most things after football season).

The peacock thing is inconvenient, but I'm paying $6 (and immediately cancelled it) for 3 people to (hopefully) be entertained for 3 hours. Not a terrible deal.

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 10

3 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Unpopular opinion: it is ok to pay for things. That's how things are supposed to work. I watch pretty much every game I want over the course of a year and I don't think I spend more than my parents spent on cable a decade ago (granted I cancel most things after football season).

The peacock thing is inconvenient, but I'm paying $6 (and immediately cancelled it) for 3 people to (hopefully) be entertained for 3 hours. Not a terrible deal.

People are wiling to pay $15 for a 2 hour movie but not $6 for one month of Peacock.

• Like 13

The problem is that they have a product that I really really want. So yes, on moral and ethical grounds, OP is spot on. In reality, I'm not marching or protesting for more fair NFL game distribution -- I'm sitting on my couch and coughing up the money because, in my mind, the product is worth the cost. If NFL sunday ticket was $40,000 per year, I would not think that. But its not, so I don't. Does that make me a selfish p.o.s.? Absolutely. Welcome to America.

• Like 1

I just wish there was one subscription that gave me every game, understanding that it'd be very expensive.  I hate having to buy multiple different subscriptions to still only get a handful of games.

• Like 1