In the category of "Where Are They Now"--Coaching hires from 2021:

1.   David Culley--Houston Texans

2.  Robert Saleh--Ny Jets

3.  Arthur Smith--Atlanta Falcons

4.  Brandon Staley--San Diego Chargers

5.  Urban Myer--Jacksonville Jaguars

6.  Nick Sirianni--Philadelphia Eagles

7.  DAN CAMPBELL--DETROIT LIONS!!!!!  

It sure looks like a pretty good hire at this point.

• Like 5

The best part about ARSB's TD--Jared Goff threw to a spot and let his best WR run underneath it to make a huge play.  That is something he hasn't happened a lot with this offense.  If that can start happening with ARSB, Jameson Williams and others, this offense becomes really scary for other teams.

Edited by Just Want A Title
  • Like 4

Check out this quote from Dan Campbell.  This is hilarious and awesome!

After the win over the Buccaneers, Kyle Meinke of MLive asked Campbell about the press conference and how Campbell was the subject of mockery from critics afterwards.

“You're probably one of them. To each his own,” answered Campbell savagely, per Meinke on X, the social media platform formerly known as Twitter.

https://clutchpoints.com/lions-news-dan-campbell-savage-shot-at-reporter-over-question-on-critics

• Like 2

Heard this on some Detroit sports talk show but they mentioned Louis Riddick mentioned Gibbs could be better than Kamara and McCaffrey.  And for this game specifically, if we would have drafted Carter over Gibbs, we likely wouldn't have won that game with his big plays including shaking all pro Antione Winfield and taking it to the house.  As much as I wanted Carter and think he would fit perfectly in our D, I am glad we have Gibbs right now.  Long term Carter still probably makes more sense but Gibbs has been huge down the stretch. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Heard this on some Detroit sports talk show but they mentioned Louis Riddick mentioned Gibbs could be better than Kamara and McCaffrey.  And for this game specifically, if we would have drafted Carter over Gibbs, we likely wouldn't have won that game with his big plays including shaking all pro Antione Winfield and taking it to the house.  As much as I wanted Carter and think he would fit perfectly in our D, I am glad we have Gibbs right now.  Long term Carter still probably makes more sense but Gibbs has been huge down the stretch. 

With respect to Jalen Carter, his play seemed to really fall off as the season went on.  Since the Eagles win against Dallas on 11/05/23 he has had two sacks:  1 against Arizona and 1 against Seattle both of which were not very good teams.  He didn't make much of an impact in their playoff loss against the Bucs.  

The real test will be how Jalen Carter handles the off-season.  There were issues Jordan Davis regarding his weight, conditioning and not really meeting expectations.  If he doesn't work hard enough in the off-season he could under-perform in a similar manner.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CartJa05.htm

3 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

With respect to Jalen Carter, his play seemed to really fall off as the season went on.  Since the Eagles win against Dallas on 11/05/23 he has had two sacks:  1 against Arizona and 1 against Seattle both of which were not very good teams.  He didn't make much of an impact in their playoff loss against the Bucs.  

The real test will be how Jalen Carter handles the off-season.  There were issues Jordan Davis regarding his weight, conditioning and not really meeting expectations.  If he doesn't work hard enough in the off-season he could under-perform in a similar manner.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CartJa05.htm

I sort of blame Matt Patricia for that whole defense being bad.  Let Carter play for a decent DC and see what happens.  He still will be great and did finish as the 5th highest rated interior D Lineman as a rookie, two spots ahead of McNeil. Imagine if we had those two together with Hutch.   

Also, not sure if this was mentioned yet, but Penei Sewell had the highest rated run blocking grade for a given by PFF this season against the Bucs with a 97.5 and was the highest graded player in the NFL last week with Decker #2.  

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-15-highest-graded-players-from-nfls-divisional-round

Another note in there is Jalen Reeves-Maybin being #5 in the NFL with a coverage grade of 85.3 and an overall grade of 90.  He was limited but did play quite a few coverage snaps.  Definitely seems like a guy we will bring back next year. 

Jonah Jackson also made the top 15 and will be a huge loss this week since Awosika was one of the worst graded.  

https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/news/lions-pff-grades-penei-sewell

Gibbs and Ragnow were next on our list with Monty and Glasgow having rough games on O.  And surprisingly even with the sack and a half, Iffy was one of our lower ranked defenders with our interior D Line stepping up having Levi and Benito Jones in the top 5 on defense.  Kerby and Campbell both found themselves in the bottom 5 again which is no bueno.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I sort of blame Matt Patricia for that whole defense being bad.  Let Carter play for a decent DC and see what happens.  He still will be great and did finish as the 5th highest rated interior D Lineman as a rookie, two spots ahead of McNeil. Imagine if we had those two together with Hutch.   

I blame Patricia for everything that I can get away with.

• Like 2

I guess the team screwed up their personnel on that play and Reynolds wasn't supposed to be in.  He went in with the FG unit and was unable to sub out unless they burned a time out.  Fortunately the staff has enough trust in him to run it there and not burn the TO but at the same time that was a pretty important play and I think a TO would have been well used.  That being said it likely would have allowed Tampa to adjust their defense too though so who knows.  Just glad it worked. 

• Like 1