AFC Divisional Round: 4) Houston Texans @ 1) B'more 'Vens

Longhorns90

Who ya got?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Who ya got?

• 4.) Houston Texans
    • 1.) Baltimore Ravens

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/20/2024 at 11:30 PM

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Who exactly were the Jags missing in Week 4 when the Texans won by 20? How hurt was Lawrence in that one?

I'm genuinely trying to figure out how you come to this conclusion. In pretty much every statistical category, the Texans were a better defense. 

The proof was in the broader record while both teams were rolling with their QB.  Jaguars just completely imploded when Lawrence got broken.  I think that's relevant to note.

Texans...maybe they were the better supporting cast team.  Probably were even.  But that still doesn't speak anything to the point that Jaguars with healthy Lawrence were cruising to the division title.  The better team overall with their QB intact.

Really just highlights that Lawrence was probably more integral to the Jaguars than CJ was to the Texans, which seems weird...but is probably true.

But that's where Lawrence makes up the difference and the healthy Jaguars > healthy Texans.  Especially as a playoff matchup for the Ravens.  But if things had gone as scheduled without Lawrence getting ruined, we would've have a very different playoff picture overall in the AFC.

11 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

The proof was in the broader record while both teams were rolling with their QB.  Jaguars just completely imploded when Lawrence got broken.  I think that's relevant to note.

Texans...maybe they were the better supporting cast team.  Probably were even.  But that still doesn't speak anything to the point that Jaguars with healthy Lawrence were cruising to the division title.  The better team overall with their QB intact

You're acting as if Stroud didn't miss multiple games with his own injuries. If you can play that "if Lawrence wasn't injured we wouldn't have collapsed" then I can play the "if Stroud doesn't get hurt, the Texans would have pulled ahead earlier" card. 

Texans...maybe they were the better supporting cast team.  Probably were even.  But that still doesn't speak anything to the point that Jaguars with healthy Lawrence were cruising to the division title.

See above. The Jags weren't cruising, they were really dependant on that division tiebreaker to keep the lead on the Texans. The Jags had a half game edge on the Texans at the time of the Lawrence injury - and as we saw with the Cleveland playoff game, a CJ Stroud-led Texans team beats Cleveland vs losing to the Browns, so there's your half game that would put the Texans ahead in-division. 

Both QBs got hurt, one actually recovered enough to do what he was pacing to do. 

But that's where Lawrence makes up the difference and the healthy Jaguars > healthy Texans.  Especially as a playoff matchup for the Ravens.  But if things had gone as scheduled without Lawrence getting ruined, we would've have a very different playoff picture overall in the AFC.

This is why most people don't take Jacksonville seriously. Because there's ALWAYS an excuse to protect Lawrence.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

You're acting as if Stroud didn't miss multiple games with his own injuries. If you can play that "if Lawrence wasn't injured we wouldn't have collapsed" then I can play the "if Stroud doesn't get hurt, the Texans would have pulled ahead earlier" card. 

That's fair.  Maybe that's a factor.  But at the end of the day...it seemed to be a much bigger drop-off for the Jaguars losing Lawrence.  It sent the entire team into the toilet bowl.

The Jaguars defense even at the best of times, was wildly inconsistent.  Infuriatingly so.  But their "highs" were absolutely miles higher than the best the Texans mustered this year.  It was hugely contingent on what sort of game Josh Allen was having, and if Tavon Walker decided to show up as a top pick or a random background character.  Losing a top CB didn't help either, even if he's not a world beater.

See above. The Jags weren't cruising, they were really dependant on that division tiebreaker to keep the lead on the Texans. 

They were.  But they'd got to that position by winning games and even beating the pants off of some solid teams who are still in the playoffs in the process.

This is why most people don't take Jacksonville seriously. Because there's ALWAYS an excuse to protect Lawrence.

And the Ravens didn't really take the Texans seriously, because they were just completely outclassed and CJ couldn't make up the difference.  🤷‍♀️

15 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Oh wah.  1992 is so many years ago.  It's historic in that it's actually in the ballpark of an all time landmark.

The Ravens defense this year isn't genuinely "historic" at all.  They're just a solid unit that had a good year.  They have shockingly few real difference-makers.  It's just a "solid" unit that's hard to move the ball on.

this is genuinely the best defense we've had in a long time. We have an all pro level player at every level. 2 of our top 3 defensive players are having break out years. Madubuike on the DL(He was wrecking havoc today), Roquan at LB, and Kyle Hamilton in the secondary. Madubuike is the best DL we've had since Ngata, and Hamilton is a top 3 safety. 

defense being historic depends on how they finish, but it definitely not just a "solid unit", the defense is elite for the modern NFL, and it definitely has "difference makers".

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RavensDefense3 said:

this is genuinely the best defense we've had in a long time. We have an all pro level player at every level. 2 of our top 3 defensive players are having break out years. Madubuike on the DL(He was wrecking havoc today), Roquan at LB, and Kyle Hamilton in the secondary. Madubuike is the best DL we've had since Ngata, and Hamilton is a top 3 safety. 

defense being historic depends on how they finish, but it definitely not just a "solid unit", the defense is elite for the modern NFL, and it definitely has "difference makers".

Fair enough.  It's more of an unheralded elite defense i guess.  But as a whole, it's still not the sort of scary unit i'd call "historic".

The Jaguars unit that carried Bortle to within one blown call of the Super Bowl was what i'd consider an "historic unit".  Obviously going to sound biased, but that was genuinely one of the most dominant all around defenses i've seen in my lifetime.

This Ravens unit doesn't hit those notes for me.  It's just...very good all around without any real clear weakness.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

That's fair.  Maybe that's a factor.  But at the end of the day...it seemed to be a much bigger drop-off for the Jaguars losing Lawrence.  It sent the entire team into the toilet bowl.

The Jaguars defense even at the best of times, was wildly inconsistent.  Infuriatingly so.  But their "highs" were absolutely miles higher than the best the Texans mustered this year.

And I disagree with this. Starting with that Jags win, the Texans had a few signature victories - including that victory against the Jaguars in Jacksonville in W4. 

That specific game? Jacksonville did not come within a score pretty much all game long. Both QBs were completely complimented by their teams, both were healthy - Stroud was better. 

6 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

They were. 

By your standards, perhaps. By W/L record, division record and actual standing? The Texans were never outside of a game behind the Jags. Had Stroud not got concussed vs Denver, the Texans take the division lead by W16.

9 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

But they'd got to that position by winning games and even beating the pants off of some solid teams who are still in the playoffs in the process.

And the Texans also did these things. I don't know why this applies only to the Jags, but the Texans have that on their resume, too. 

13 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

And the Ravens didn't really take the Texans seriously, because they were just completely outclassed and CJ couldn't make up the difference.  🤷‍♀️

That's the Ravens right, they were the better team. Just like how the 2023 AFC South champs are better than Jacksonville.

1 minute ago, Ray Reed said:

vens

right?

Go vens go!

Genuinely pulling for Lamar the rest of the way.

Sidenote: I was a Kyle Hamilton Stan last off-season, going as far as to suggest drafting him at 3. I was convinced he's the best player from his draft, so I'm stoked to see him doing well...

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Go vens go!

Genuinely pulling for Lamar the rest of the way.

Sidenote: I was a Kyle Hamilton Stan last off-season, going as far as to suggest drafting him at 3. I was convinced he's the best player from his draft, so I'm stoked to see him doing well...

love you. we’ll be clashing in the postseason the next decade 

Kyle has been amazing. so glad 13 teams ahead of us out-thought themselves 

• Like 2