Off-Season 2024-"Peters" built

4 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I think as currently constructed this is like a 2-3 win team. This roster is genuinely awful. 

Eh, I don't think so. John Keim said the offense will be similar to how we wanted it run last year with a first-year starting QB more balanced relying on our run game with BRob & Eckler plus using them on screens/option routes as an extension of the run game.

Our LB corps is vastly improved from dating back to when Fletcher retired.

I agree that CB & OT are still major question marks but every team has question marks. I think we’ll be better than last year bc of the game plan, coaching & having Bobby Wagner & Frank Luvu at LB every snap on D.

I still think we’ll be picking in the top 10 in the 2025 draft, but I'm not sure it's top 5 again.

Edited by turtle28

13 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Eh, I don't think so. John Keim said the offense will be similar to how we wanted it run last year with a first-year starting QB more balanced relying on our run game with BRob & Eckler plus using them on screens/option routes as an extension of the run game.

Our LB corps is vastly improved from dating back to when Fletcher retired.

I agree that CB & OT are still major question marks but every team has question marks. I think we’ll be better than last year bc of the game plan, coaching & having Bobby Wagner & Frank Luvu at LB every snap on D.

I still think we’ll be picking in the top 10 in the 2025 draft, but I'm not sure it's top 5 again.

Rookie QB or Mariota starting. Nothing at OT. Forbes and BSJ starting at corner. Not impressed with the DE signed. Curl and Fuller gone is going to hurt the defense more than fans think. 49-year old often injured Zach Ertz at TE. This team is terrible right now lol. Yeah, I know, I’m the curmudgeon but on paper this has to be one of the worst rosters in football. It’s like an expansion team. 

41 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Rookie QB or Mariota starting. Nothing at OT. Forbes and BSJ starting at corner. Not impressed with the DE signed. Curl and Fuller gone is going to hurt the defense more than fans think. 49-year old often injured Zach Ertz at TE. This team is terrible right now lol. Yeah, I know, I’m the curmudgeon but on paper this has to be one of the worst rosters in football. It’s like an expansion team. 

I actually think BSJ gets cut or demoted to 4th CB. I would start Michael Davis and Forbes (if Forbes continues to suck, maybe BSJ gets more playing time) and have Quan Martin manning the slot CB position (unless we draft someone). 

I don't disagree with your stance on our OTs. 

I'm closer to an even push for Chinn and Curl, but I'm higher on Chinn's potential than you are. 

Hopefully we get a playmaker at TE in the draft. I would still take JaTavion Sanders in the 3rd all day. 

Our defensive pash rush will go as Dorance Armstrong goes. I think he will fair pretty well. I'm hoping our rotation on the other side does something though. 

I think the roster as a whole has improved tremendously TBH. It's not great, but it's definitely better than last years (once we get our QBotF).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

But if the game plan is to run the ball more w/ BRob & Eckler that will make the job easier for whoever starts at QB, Mariota, or the rookie we draft. I think any of the QBs we drafts floor as a first-year starter is Sam Howell & if we had focused more on the run game with our O last year I think Sam throws less ints.

The LB upgrades are huge for our D. DE to me seems like a push. CB is definitely a major issue we don't have a definite starter let alone a #1 type but with the way this D works some CBs who struggled last year may improve in Quinn/Whitt’s D this year, guys we signed or if we draft some CBs which I imagine we will.

Our interior OL is greatly upgraded. We got extremely better up the middle on both sides of the ball which means a lot. I feel the same way about OT as I do CB. 

I’ll be shocked if we have a season like last years.

52 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I thought this was an April Fools joke but from reading articles about it, it seems it's true. Oh well, it's a nothing burger. He's a lesser version of Mariota.

2 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

I actually think BSJ gets cut or demoted to 4th CB. I would start Michael Davis and Forbes (if Forbes continues to suck, maybe BSJ gets more playing time) and have Quan Martin manning the slot CB position (unless we draft someone). 

I don't disagree with your stance on our OTs. 

I'm closer to an even push for Chinn and Curl, but I'm higher on Chinn's potential than you are. 

Hopefully we get a playmaker at TE in the draft. I would still take JaTavion Sanders in the 3rd all day. 

Our defensive pash rush will go as Dorance Armstrong goes. I think he will fair pretty well. I'm hoping our rotation on the other side does something though. 

I think the roster as a whole has improved tremendously TBH. It's not great, but it's definitely better than last years (once we get our QBotF).

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7m3qxe6dyzj8240zv8k

11 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I think as currently constructed this is like a 2-3 win team. This roster is genuinely awful. 

I don’t disagree, but this needed to happen.  Gotta tear it down to the struts over the next year, including the front office.  

• Like 2

We have signed 20 new players, the most in the NFL & I don't think Peters & Quinn are done. I expect that after the draft & also after June 1st cuts that we could sign a few more players to fill out the last holes we have on the roster.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I don’t disagree, but this needed to happen.  Gotta tear it down to the struts over the next year, including the front office.  

YES!

Please everyone remember that the 49ers are a great team in how they are constructed, now. But even when they were being rebuilt they had a pretty crappy year that first year. I'm okay with losing 14 games this next season if it looks like our players are getting better and "getting IT" (especially the QB).

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

We have signed 20 new players, the most in the NFL & I don't think Peters & Quinn are done. I expect that after the draft & also after June 1st cuts that we could sign a few more players to fill out the last holes we have on the roster.

the June 1st cuts are what I'm looking at next with our cap space. I think they are expecting a few cap casualties

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

YES!

Please everyone remember that the 49ers are a great team in how they are constructed, now. But even when they were being rebuilt they had a pretty crappy year that first year. I'm okay with losing 14 games this next season if it looks like our players are getting better and "getting IT" (especially the QB).

The 49ers had several bad seasons sandwiched in between some good ones. Frankly, Lynch & Kyle were lucky that York believed in them & their long-term plan but most owners would've fired them after drafting a bust in Solomon Thomas in 2017 over one of the QBs to come out of that draft and then the QB they traded for - Jimmy G - got hurt in 2018 & they ended up with the #2 pick again but they stuck with Jimmy G and didn't take a QB again.

Then, a few years later in 2021 they weirdly to me traded up for Trey Lance & he was a bust. If not for Purdy shocking the world and becoming the perfect system QB for Kyle’s offense, Lynch & Kyle would definitely have been fired in San Fran a few years ago.

Edited by turtle28

I'd just like to remind everyone that in an offense built around the run game, Mariota was 5-8 as the Falcons starter in 2022 & they were one unlucky drop/Daron Payne play on the final play of the game vs us from Mariota being 6-7 as their starter that year.

I would also point out that in that year the Falcons weapons around Mariota were probably the worst in the NFL and that won't be the case this year w/ Mariota having Terry (the best WR Mariota has ever played with), Jahan plus BRob & Eckler at QB who can be used tremendously in the screen game/on option routes and that's before the draft & FA after June 1st cuts to upgrade TE & WR even more plus get a young OT to compete w/ Lucas, Wylie & Trent Scott.

This is not to hype up Mariota, this is just to point out that he doesn't make many mistakes, he's elusive and can manage the game well should we take Drake Maye & feel we need to sit him for at least half of his rookie year.

7 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I'd just like to remind everyone that in an offense built around the run game, Mariota was 5-8 as the Falcons starter in 2022 & they were one unlucky drop/Daron Payne play on the final play of the game vs us from Mariota being 6-7 as their starter that year.

I would also point out that in that year the Falcons weapons around Mariota were probably the worst in the NFL and that won't be the case this year w/ Mariota having Terry (the best WR Mariota has ever played with), Jahan plus BRob & Eckler at QB who can be used tremendously in the screen game/on option routes and that's before the draft & FA after June 1st cuts to upgrade TE & WR even more plus get a young OT to compete w/ Lucas, Wylie & Trent Scott.

This is not to hype up Mariota, this is just to point out that he doesn't make many mistakes, he's elusive and can manage the game well should we take Drake Maye & feel we need to sit him for at least half of his rookie year.

Hard pass on all the Mariota talk. I hope dude gets hurt in preseason and we roll with Driskel over him until Maye or whoever is ready. 

Zero interest in watching Mariota play. 

Should have signed Russ if we were considering, or heaven forbid kept Sam Howell, if we aren't going to start the rookie immediately. 

52 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I hope dude gets hurt in preseason and we roll with Driskel over him until Maye or whoever is ready. 

Fine on not wanting to see him play, but let's move past wishing people to get injured. 

• Like 2