Off-Season 2024-"Peters" built

We have a draft thread but we don't have one dedicated to the off-season as a whole. Who to sign, re-sign, cut etc. I wanted to give us a spot to talk about those topics. 

Free agent targets 

1. Bryce Huff

2. Frankie Luvu

3.  Tee Higgins 

4. Patrick Queen

5. Dalton Schultz

6. Noah Fant

7. Jonah Williams

8. Jonah Jackson

9. Connor Williams

10. Chase Young (yeah I know)

Re-sign Targets:

1. Kamren Curl

2. Kendall Fuller

3. Jeremy Reaves

4. Joey Slye

5. Jamison Crowder

6. Curtis Samuel

7. Khaleke Hudson

8. Saadiq Charles

9. Jabril Cox

10. Antonio Gibson (Not sure about this one)

Cut Candidates

1. Logan Thomas- Cap savings- $6,565,000

2. Dax Milne- Cap savings- $1,055,000

3. Shaka Toney- Cap Savings- $1,055,000

Restructure

1. Charles Leno

2. Andrew Wylie

3. Nick Gates

I'm not sure if we can do it but if we can restructure McLaurin, Allen and Payne we could potentially open up a ton more cap space. 

• Like 1

I still think expecting a bunch of top tier free agents probably needs to be tempered.  I just don’t see it given how Harris has operated his other teams.  I could be wrong, but I’m thinking they are going to have a huge culture and front office reset with the focus on seeing who gets on board, and who doesn’t, with a lot of 1-2 year bridge types coming in and given the same opportunity.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I still think expecting a bunch of top tier free agents probably needs to be tempered.  I just don’t see it given how Harris has operated his other teams.  I could be wrong, but I’m thinking they are going to have a huge culture and front office reset with the focus on seeing who gets on board, and who doesn’t, with a lot of 1-2 year bridge types coming in and given the same opportunity.  

I agree. I just sort of ranked them how I would go about it. Obviously you won't sign all of them but I'd prioritize Huff and Luvu. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lavar703 said:

We have a draft thread but we don't have one dedicated to the off-season as a whole. Who to sign, re-sign, cut etc. I wanted to give us a spot to talk about those topics. 

Free agent targets 

1. Bryce Huff

2. Frankie Luvu

3.  Tee Higgins 

4. Patrick Queen

5. Dalton Schultz

6. Noah Fant

7. Jonah Williams

8. Jonah Jackson

9. Connor Williams

10. Chase Young (yeah I know)

Re-sign Targets:

1. Kamren Curl

2. Kendall Fuller

3. Jeremy Reaves

4. Joey Slye

5. Jamison Crowder

6. Curtis Samuel

7. Khaleke Hudson

8. Saadiq Charles

9. Jabril Cox

10. Antonio Gibson (Not sure about this one)

Cut Candidates

1. Logan Thomas- Cap savings- $6,565,000

2. Dax Milne- Cap savings- $1,055,000

3. Shaka Toney- Cap Savings- $1,055,000

Restructure

1. Charles Leno

2. Andrew Wylie

3. Nick Gates

I'm not sure if we can do it but if we can restructure McLaurin, Allen and Payne we could potentially open up a ton more cap space. 

The chase young thing might be realistic since I’m sure Peter’s was all for the move . I don’t really know the reason for him wanting to leave but if it was about Ron Rivera and the direction of Washington than it’s a completely different tune now .

Edited by IHatesnyder
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I agree. I just sort of ranked them how I would go about it. Obviously you won't sign all of them but I'd prioritize Huff and Luvu. 

I will be surprised if we land more than one on that list, and it wouldn’t surprise me if we didn’t land any.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IHatesnyder said:

The chase young thing might be realistic since I’m sure Peter’s was all for the move . I don’t really know the reason for him wanting to leave but if it was about Ron Rivera and the direction of Washington than it’s a completely different tune now .

That’s a good point but, I don’t think he wants to return to DC

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I will be surprised if we land more than one on that list, and it wouldn’t surprise me if we didn’t land any.  

They aren't pocketing nearly $90M in cap space with a roster that has holes everywhere. They are going to spend. It might not be on these guys but they have a ton of free agents to replace.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

They aren't pocketing nearly $90M in cap space with a roster that has holes everywhere. They are going to spend. It might not be on these guys but they have a ton of free agents to replace.

I read recently from one of those cap experts like that Joe guy or whatever that the cap space isn’t nearly that high but I have no idea what’s true.

I don’t see a huge FA spree but I see several targeted FAs who fit what Peters sees in a team. I think he wants toughness first and foremost.

So, I think you’ll see players tied to San Fran who are free agents, or players that used to play there who are free agents, players from the Jets who are FAs & players from the Texans who are FAs bc Peter’s knows that those former 49ers coaches have coaches the type of players he wants.

So, I like your idea of Bryce Huff bc he played for the Jets. Or, I think Peters will sign AJ Epenesa.

I think Peters would like to sign Tee Higgins & not re-sign Samuel bc we need size at WR but, I don’t know why Higgins would come here unless we made him the highest paid WR bc we have QB issues and a first year HC in a new offense. 

We need a MLB, Patrick Queen is not a MLB, so unless Jamin can play MIKE, I don't see the point in signing Queen.

We should sign/draft a C, G & an OT both in FA & the draft. I think Leno will be kept, Lucas may be re-signed or we’ll sign and draft an OT in FA & Wylie could be a candidate to move to LG. 

I like the idea of signing Jonah Williams, Jonah Jackson, and Connor Williams but keep in mind it costs $ to cut Gates & Wylie so Gates may be our vet C to compete w/ Stromberg & Wylie may be the LG to compete with a draft pick at G or Saahdiq Charles if he's Re-signed. So, OT may be the only FA signing we make, so Jonah Williams to be our RT while we draft an OT too. But I think we draft an OT & a G at the least.

100% Peters needs to re-sign Curl. I don't know that Peters will bring back Fuller but I think it would make sense to have that vet presence on the back end.

We need to draft or sign a FA slot CB! That is paramount!

I guess we can bring Jabril Cox back on a vet min deal but we need to get over this fantasy that he's going to be a great starter. He'll be lucky to make the team.

I think Gibson is Re-signed and moved to WR and plays a Deebo type role which should’ve happened since he was drafted. He'll be a change-of-pace RB too getting 5 carries a game on outside zone runs & on jet sweeps.

My initial thoughts:

Resign Kendall Fuller - 3 years, $36 million. $20 guaranteed. Out after two. 

I'm not opposed to just franchise tagging Curl if that's what we need to do. Otherwise, consider front loading the contract. 

Resign Cornelius Lucas - 1 year, $5 million. He's going to be 33 next year. No point in doing anything more than a year. 

Resign Jeremy Reaves - 2 years, $6 million

Resign Jamison Crowder - 1 year $1.5 million.

Resign Tyler Larsen - in case we need depth at the position. 1 year $1.5 million. 

Resign Khaleke Hudson - 2 years $3.5 million.

Resign Casey Toohill - 1 year $2 million. We will need bodies at the position. If he doesn't win a job, that's perfectly fine. 

--------------------------------

Sign Tyrod Taylor - 1 year, $5 million. I finally get what I have always wanted. He can mentor Maye. 

Sign Robert Hunt, G - 4 years, $55 million. I have no idea what he will go for. I tried for a Top 10 guard contract. 

Sign Dante Fowler, DE - 2 year, $5 million. 

Sign Malik Harrison, LB - 2 year $6 million

Sign a kicker. You can bring back Slye too. Just have a competition. 

---------------------------------

Draft: 

Round 1 (#2) - Drake Maye, QB, North Carolina

Round 2 (#35) - Kingsley Suamataia, OT, BYU

Round 2 (#40) - Bralen Trice, EDGE, Washington

Round 3 (#66) - Malachi Corley, WR, Western Kentucky

Round 3 (#100) - Will Shipley, RB, Clemson 

Round 4 (#103) - Cade Stover, TE, Ohio State

Round 5 (#135) - Dwight McGlothern CB, Arkansas

Round 6 (#180) - Tatum Bethune, LB, Florida State

Round 7 (#219) - Jalen Green, EDGE, James Madison

• Like 2

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I read recently from one of those cap experts like that Joe guy or whatever that the cap space isn’t nearly that high but I have no idea what’s true.

I don’t see a huge FA spree but I see several targeted FAs who fit what Peters sees in a team. I think he wants toughness first and foremost.

So, I think you’ll see players tied to San Fran who are free agents, or players that used to play there who are free agents, players from the Jets who are FAs & players from the Texans who are FAs bc Peter’s knows that those former 49ers coaches have coaches the type of players he wants.

So, I like your idea of Bryce Huff bc he played for the Jets. Or, I think Peters will sign AJ Epenesa.

I think Peters would like to sign Tee Higgins & not re-sign Samuel bc we need size at WR but, I don’t know why Higgins would come here unless we made him the highest paid WR bc we have QB issues and a first year HC in a new offense. 

We need a MLB, Patrick Queen is not a MLB, so unless Jamin can play MIKE, I don't see the point in signing Queen.

We should sign/draft a C, G & an OT both in FA & the draft. I think Leno will be kept, Lucas may be re-signed or we’ll sign and draft an OT in FA & Wylie could be a candidate to move to LG. 

I like the idea of signing Jonah Williams, Jonah Jackson, and Connor Williams but keep in mind it costs $ to cut Gates & Wylie so Gates may be our vet C to compete w/ Stromberg & Wylie may be the LG to compete with a draft pick at G or Saahdiq Charles if he's Re-signed. So, OT may be the only FA signing we make, so Jonah Williams to be our RT while we draft an OT too. But I think we draft an OT & a G at the least.

100% Peters needs to re-sign Curl. I don't know that Peters will bring back Fuller but I think it would make sense to have that vet presence on the back end.

We need to draft or sign a FA slot CB! That is paramount!

I guess we can bring Jabril Cox back on a vet min deal but we need to get over this fantasy that he's going to be a great starter. He'll be lucky to make the team.

I think Gibson is Re-signed and moved to WR and plays a Deebo type role which should’ve happened since he was drafted. He'll be a change-of-pace RB too getting 5 carries a game on outside zone runs & on jet sweeps.

It's so weird to me the amount of crappy back ups you've loved over the years and you have this vendetta against Jabril Cox lmao 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

While they might have holes everywhere, you can fill those with guys on 1-2 year prove it contracts while you establish a culture.  I have a feeling that a new culture is going to be the entire focus of the front office as well as the locker room, and I think you will not see a wholesale splurge in free agency.  Maybe one guy to help set the tone, but you have to turn a lot of things around and it takes time.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

While they might have holes everywhere, you can fill those with guys on 1-2 year prove it contracts while you establish a culture.  I have a feeling that a new culture is going to be the entire focus of the front office as well as the locker room, and I think you will not see a wholesale splurge in free agency.  Maybe one guy to help set the tone, but you have to turn a lot of things around and it takes time.  

That’s how I eyeballed it. Hunt was my splash. Help protect your future QB and he can be around for the shift to good. 

• Like 1

Just now, MikeT14 said:

That’s how I eyeballed it. Hunt was my splash. Help protect your future QB and he can be around for the shift to good. 

That also allows them to cut a bad contract like Wylie and take the dead money this year if they really want someone out who doesn’t fit the new direction.  

• Like 2