2024 offseason, a lot of work to do.

2 hours ago, Folesadelphia said:

Yeah, I agree about Edwards. I don't know exactly what went down there. I know they said it was his dream to play for his hometown team in the Bears so the Eagles presumably would have  had to have given him a significantly better offer to sway him. However, I also heard there was never an offer made which is disappointing.  

Maybe sign Jewell and Cashman.  I don't know why the Eagles didn't do everything possible to get Ivan Pace when he went undrafted. Or they could have maneuvered and used a 7th on him but I couldn't believe he wasn't an Eagle after he made it to UDFA. 

Those two would be two of my targets who are hopefully fairly cheap LB options that at least can provide average type play. My two top safety targets would be McKinney and Jordan Whitehead. Kenny Moore at slot corner would be awesome. If they want to make a bigger splash then Jaylon Johnson or Winfield would be my targets but guessing both get tagged. 

51 minutes ago, EAGLES3658 said:

Those two would be two of my targets who are hopefully fairly cheap LB options that at least can provide average type play. My two top safety targets would be McKinney and Jordan Whitehead. Kenny Moore at slot corner would be awesome. If they want to make a bigger splash then Jaylon Johnson or Winfield would be my targets but guessing both get tagged. 

We have Isaiah Rodgers who was very good before his suspension 

38 minutes ago, IrishHooligan00 said:

I don't want any Miami LB. 

Van ginkel will be 29 next season. Would be another band aid

Jerome Baker just isn't good imo, would honestly take Cunningham over him. 

Not everyone has to be some long term signing. 29 isn't that old for an EDGE anyways. Sign him for 2-3 years then move on.

11 hours ago, Broadway Joe said:

So they drafted a LB, despite having a pro bowler and a good player? Imagine that, I thought you could only do that DTs. 

You have to look at the Ravens history,  much like SF. They covet LB/S because two of the very best to ever play Ed/Ray were corner stones to the organization for over a decade!

The Eagles however covet OL/DL as the two most important areas to address and build around as a Organization. It's not that either approach is wrong but why BOTH struggle in the opposite areas on each team.

Ravens-OL

Eagles -S/LB

While the Ravens were drafting extra S/LB despite having PB on the roster the Eagles were drafting players like Dillard, Dickerson, Jurgens, Steen as potential OL replacements and Davis, Carter, Smith on the DL.

At some point hopefully in the near future Howie breaks his trend and attacks S/LB regardless of positional value in the draft. Not just in the later rds.

6 hours ago, IrishHooligan00 said:

Why continue the Band Aid trend tho...

I think band aid signings have a role. They give you valuable snaps while your young guys you draft develop and rotate in. Chris Long was a band aid probably about Van Ginkels age.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

You have to look at the Ravens history,  much like SF. They covet LB/S because two of the very best to ever play Ed/Ray were corner stones to the organization for over a decade!

The Eagles however covet OL/DL as the two most important areas to address and build around as a Organization. It's not that either approach is wrong but why BOTH struggle in the opposite areas on each team.

Ravens-OL

Eagles -S/LB

While the Ravens were drafting extra S/LB despite having PB on the roster the Eagles were drafting players like Dillard, Dickerson, Jurgens, Steen as potential OL replacements and Davis, Carter, Smith on the DL.

At some point hopefully in the near future Howie breaks his trend and attacks S/LB regardless of positional value in the draft. Not just in the later rds.

The funny part about this, the 9ers D-Line is easily as good as the Eagles.

Bosa, Armstead, Hargrave and Young.

Baltimore, Justin Madubuike has 13 sacks this year, more than any Eagle.  The other two guys on the line do their job allowing the LB'ers behind them to thrive.

Our line while supposedly so good, does not win one on one enough, and anything they let get to the LB'ers is a disaster.

Both of those teams have studs at all 3 levels, we do not.

I will take the Ravens and 9ers approach to building defensive personnel over the Eagles all day.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Ravens-OL

Eagles -S/LB

And we don't? Brian Dawkins/Trotter were cornerstones here for ages. 

We can covet those positions without ignoring starters in favor of rotational guys just because they play in the trenches. 

And for them to start addressing them it won't be enough that they have the players mentioned before. Before they will look at some depth or rotational player and go to the well again. Sometimes you have to sacrifice a little bit of those things in order to round up the team.

Look at the Cowboys, they didn't have a strong DL/OL last year and the year before that, but they addressed other areas and now they have a better DL than we do and an OL equal or better. We can all agree that we have a too rigid and myopic drafting philosophy and it shows, because we have to trade for players, sign FA,  there's no one ready to take over in other positions that are not on the trenches, and the fact that we go each year into the draft with the exact same needs (add/substract QB).

For the amount of resources poured or at this point wasted on the DL, we don't put out an elite product to match the top of the league spending. We've never drafted an elite player there despite our efforts and not a player that can take over a game. And given what we invest we should have, and SF/DAL/BAL all have a more productive DL than we do. 

It is not an opinion but a fact that those three teams are miles ahead better than us at drafting and that we should do tweaks to our team building philosophy.

Edited by Broadway Joe

I think you should have at least one good to great player on every level of a defense

I Think having unbalance is always bad

truth is when eagles have contended they’ve had that 

Even as recently as last season. Edwards was good, CJGJ was good. Eagles were good top to bottom. Had holes but were solid everywhere

2017 bradham and Jenkins/mcleod

i think it’s very clear what needs to happen and that’s a solidifying up of the middle

in 2017 eagles had 2 young CBs in Darby/mills and had their main stars on a DL and safety. Bradham was better than either corner

the niners are built similarly now.

idk why the formula for the eagles isn’t GREAT DL, good LBs and great safeties WITH young corners who are athletic, physical and can keep up with foot speed.

to me that seems more reasonable and efficient. 

protect the middle of the defense and big plays with LBs and safeties that are good, be weaker but athletic on the outsides and hope that by taking away the quick and efficient stuff in the middle the great DL you’ve assembled can prevent the movement to the outsides

maybe I’m wrong but this seems obvious to me. I don’t see CB as important as safety. Sure having sauce Gardner is huge but other than special guys I’d rather have a great safety and LB to protect the quickest most effective offensive area of the field. The middle. And have specifically young, competent athletic guys to man the outside

I think you guys are overreacting, slightly. Yes Howie doesn't belive in "Drafting" or utilizing 1st rd picks on Safeties and LB because he builds the trenches, that is crystal clear. 

Doesn't mean He doesn't attempt to fill said voids with FA/trades. 

Sometimes it works like it did with Trott, Malcom Jenkins, CGJ, Edwards, White, Bradham.  

Sometimes it doesn't like this season with Leonard, Byard and Morrow. 

I think Howie is Gun shy having wasted 2nd/3rd rd picks on players like Hicks, Jarrett, Wallace, Taylor, Dean.  Honestly believe that is why he refuses to even entertain the notion of drafting a 1st rd S/LB

Hopefully that changes, He even eluded to it being a possibility moving forward in his PC with Sirianni. We'll see? 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Nabbs4u

17 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

I think you guys are overreacting, slightly. Yes Howie doesn't belive in "Drafting" or utilizing 1st rd picks on Safeties and LB because he builds the trenches, that is crystal clear. 

Sometimes it works like it did with Trott, Malcom Jenkins, CGJ, Edwards, White, Bradham.  

I think Howie is Gun shy having wasted 2nd/3rd rd picks on players like Hicks, Jarrett, Wallace, Taylor, Dean.  Honestly believe that is why he refuses to even entertain the notion of drafting a 1st rd S/LB

Hopefully that changes, He even eluded to it being a possibility moving forward in his PC with Sirianni. We'll see? 🤷‍♂️

Building through the trenches isn't wrong, but everything can be too far and that's where we've been for a long time now. 

The problem with trades is that it makes the team old and expensive and doesn't gives us the chance to develop players at other positions because resources are limited because of said trades. He basically banks on finding UDFAs or worse yet, safety converts and see if he can make up for it, and then not extend them. And we are back with our eternal needs. 

Backups should not not be prioritized before starters. 

43 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Before the season I would have agreed because I truly didnt think we would go into the season with Cunningham, Morrow and Justin Evans as starters....yet we did. He completely disregarded the safety and LBer situation going into the season and was forced to pick up guys off the street or guys way past their prime/completely shot. He didnt attempt to fill those voids at all going into the season which is when you have to, otherwise you get the scraps.

Edited by UndyTaker