2024 offseason, a lot of work to do.

5 hours ago, Eagles $5$ said:

No we already have enough players that can't tackle. 

Agreed. We need to get younger and faster on the back end. Bears ppl think he still has gas in the tank but I'm not interested. I think Byard kinda turned me off to the veteran safety acquisition. Even though he kinda got screwed over by all the scheme change and coming here mid season.

If you can get Eddie Jackson for cheap I am ok kicking the tires. Thrived under Fangio in Chicago and could be fine as a depth piece. If you are bringing him in as the starter I don't like it at all. Like 1 year $2-3mil I am ok with it, but not sure what his market will be.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Agreed. We need to get younger and faster on the back end. Bears ppl think he still has gas in the tank but I'm not interested. I think Byard kinda turned me off to the veteran safety acquisition. Even though he kinda got screwed over by all the scheme change and coming here mid season.

You just listed several reasons why Eddie actually makes sense. Byard was put in a difficult situation from the jump. 

Eddie would be here from the start of OTA's joining a DC and scheme he is already familiar with. Terminology,  concepts, expectations within the defense,  ect.. Who better to help the back end get on track under Fangio, seriously? A Rookie safety?

I agree we need to get younger but we also need to pick our spots. No way CB, S, LB and DE can ALL be younger in 2024. 2 of the 4, at most 3 but no way can all 4 positions be as strters or we are wasting time with Vic as DC!

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

If you can bring him in at a more reasonable number than Byard, I'm game.

This gives the Eagles three safeties in Blankenship, Brown and Jackson and de-prioritizes the position in the draft.

The Eagles could take a safety in the 5th now and spend the first four picks on greater needs.

It buys them a year or two.

In no particular order, OL, DL, LB, CB/WR with the first four picks.

I do wonder how much having Fangio will change our strategy in FA. Normally I'd say there is no way we chase a top of the market LB in FA, but if Queen's market isn't insane(it might be) I wonder if we make a run at him. I don't think they will completely change their philosophy, but it is worth considering.

I'd be pretty surprised if we don't sign a Safety in FA. Maybe even two with one being penciled in as a starter and another being a backup then going Safety in the middle of the draft. 

For CB I would rather look at the draft. Edge all depends on what happens with Reddick. 

2 minutes ago, babyatemydingo said:

If you can bring him in at a more reasonable number than Byard, I'm game.

This gives the Eagles three safeties in Blankenship, Brown and Jackson and de-prioritizes the position in the draft.

The Eagles could take a safety in the 5th now and spend the first four picks on greater needs.

It buys them a year or two.

In no particular order, OL, DL, LB, CB/WR with the first four picks.

Need to stop doing that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Need to stop doing that.

Why?
The Eagles have a plethora of needs and timing has a lot to do with filling them.

There isn't a guy at safety I'd consider in the first round which means it can wait.
There are six guys who'd fit into a rotation there and a couple more who could be developed.
Remember Jackson was a 4.

There are a ton of guys at CB and OL who merit that pick.
The Eagles are desperate at LB, too.
Sometimes, you have to draft where the depth is.

8 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I do wonder how much having Fangio will change our strategy in FA. Normally I'd say there is no way we chase a top of the market LB in FA, but if Queen's market isn't insane(it might be) I wonder if we make a run at him. I don't think they will completely change their philosophy, but it is worth considering.

I'd be pretty surprised if we don't sign a Safety in FA. Maybe even two with one being penciled in as a starter and another being a backup then going Safety in the middle of the draft. 

For CB I would rather look at the draft. Edge all depends on what happens with Reddick. 

The main thing from my end is we need to add a safety and linebacker in free agency

theyre so important for his system. I believe Sydney brown is a sunk cost for 2024 now with an ACL tear so he can’t be counted on. I think Blankenship is a super 3rd safety. 

Idk how many of these guys will actually make the market but

frankie luvu, Patrick queen, azeez al-shaair, Jordyn brooks, Devin white

all these guys are 27 or younger and would be fantastic signings

then there’s other past 27 like dru tranquill and josey jewel who are at least effective

i do believe the eagles need to throw money at one of the 27 and younger crowd. If they all make it to free agency Devin white has been linked here before. He’d be a homerun

7 minutes ago, babyatemydingo said:

Why?
The Eagles have a plethora of needs and timing has a lot to do with filling them.

There isn't a guy at safety I'd consider in the first round which means it can wait.
There are six guys who'd fit into a rotation there and a couple more who could be developed.
Remember Jackson was a 4.

There are a ton of guys at CB and OL who merit that pick.
The Eagles are desperate at LB, too.
Sometimes, you have to draft where the depth is.

We’ve also spent similar assets on LB that San Francisco and the chiefs both have. Their studs are 3rd and 4th rounders 

we’ve just missed unfortunately but dean and Davion Taylor were adequate assets spent

i think where the eagles fail here is not taking more swings in the 3-6 rounds every year until we find one. Eagles should be taking 1 LB a draft until we get a really good one

but the most egregious was missing on TJ Edwards. They actually found, developed a really good LB. 

Also what’re thoughts on CJGJ he’s gonna likely hit the market id assume. He’s versatile and he knows the franchise, he’s younger and can ideally be here with Sydney in the back end long term. 

it’s also a pretty packed safety free agent class as of now. 

eagles probably just need 2 B-tier signings at those positions in safety and linebacker

id love a Patrick queen or Devin white but more importantly they need good players at both of those spots and I think there’s some B-tier signings available there

3 minutes ago, Last Stand said:

Also what’re thoughts on CJGJ he’s gonna likely hit the market id assume. He’s versatile and he knows the franchise, he’s younger and can ideally be here with Sydney in the back end long term. 

it’s also a pretty packed safety free agent class as of now. 

eagles probably just need 2 B-tier signings at those positions in safety and linebacker

id love a Patrick queen or Devin white but more importantly they need good players at both of those spots and I think there’s some B-tier signings available there

CJ is a headache and injury prone. I'd bring him back, but I think he might have burnt the bridge on his way out here. It would need to be at a reasonable price... and likely less than what we offered him last offseason. Is his ego going to handle that? I seriously doubt it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

CJ is a headache and injury prone. I'd bring him back, but I think he might have burnt the bridge on his way out here. It would need to be at a reasonable price... and likely less than what we offered him last offseason. Is his ego going to handle that? I seriously doubt it.

I can see that. There’s also a lot of guys out there. My interest would be if all top guys hit the market do they splurge on a CB or do they grab a safety and LB for the price of a CB. 

im pretty confident howie is going to make a splash. I just don’t know if itll be at safety/LB. He definitely values CB a lot, they allegedly tried to trade for Jaylon Johnson who’s now available. 

if I were to bet I’d say that’s the direction we go. Whilst I’d probably prefer LB and safety because we’re so small and slow there. 

2 minutes ago, Last Stand said:

I can see that. There’s also a lot of guys out there. My interest would be if all top guys hit the market do they splurge on a CB or do they grab a safety and LB for the price of a CB. 

im pretty confident howie is going to make a splash. I just don’t know if itll be at safety/LB. He definitely values CB a lot, they allegedly tried to trade for Jaylon Johnson who’s now available. 

if I were to bet I’d say that’s the direction we go. Whilst I’d probably prefer LB and safety because we’re so small and slow there. 

Howie has tried to get top of the market Safeties in the past from FA. I think their strategy in FA is more based in market value than positional tbh. They also try to fill holes in FA while drafting for weighted BPA and objectively our roster has a massive hole at LB and Safety(assuming Byard is cut cause he will be). I'd be a bit surprised if we chased a CB in FA considering it is pretty thin pickings and we are in a good spot to grab a CB in the first and have a ton of ammo in the second of the draft. LB and Safety there is a lot of names to pick from I'd definitely expect us to add one of each at this point.