2024 offseason, a lot of work to do.

While I think corner is an issue on some level in terms of ceiling as Casper put it, at the end of the day the eagles offense and defense both were suffered in the middle of the field.

the offense couldn’t run or throw the ball in the middle of the field and the defense couldn’t stop anything towards the middle of the field. 

the 49ers game was lost almost exclusively in the middle of the field. They threw for almost 200 yards on Nicholas morrow alone. 

I do think if the eagles really fix safety and LB.  Really bring some guys in here. The corner situation wouldn’t be as big of an issue. The quickest opening will always be the middle. If you force things to the outside the defensive line just naturally will have more time to get home. Coaching aside losing Edwards and white was what did the defense in as much as anything. Relying on Justin Evan’s over a 3rd round explosive player in Sydney was the other. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EagleBlueDon said:

See I don't really call that depth. I call that a group of largely unproven players who can't be trusted to go out there and give you quality snaps. Rodgers hasn't played in a year and has never stepped foot in this defense. Ringo looked good but it was such a small sample size that I don't think I can consider him even depth yet. Jobe showed last year that he isn't quality depth. He was solid at times but mostly got beat like a drum from what I remember. Not a guy I'm calling depth.  McPherson has been here for a little while and hasn't taken any job by the horns, not a guy I'm calling depth. Goodrich is a complete unknown. Not depth. I think Ringo and Rodgers can compete for starting jobs, but their status right now cannot be assumed.

Didn't you just describe most rookies about to get drafted? Are they not unknowns? Are they guaranteed to start?

Majority of NFL teams lack depth at CB. Most are lucky to have 1 legit CB, handful of teams actually have 2. When you start getting to nickle and dime pacjages that's where the players I listed do fall in the category of depth. 

Not every CB is a outside Starter. Not every DB can play SCB. So what's the difference between those listed and a Rookie coming into Vic Fangio's Defense?

Let's be real. Barring a trade Slay, JB, Rodgers, Ringo are all probably locks IMO. That's 4 of the probably 6 CB we will carry on the 53 man roster. Now it's a matter of what Rookies, FA and UDFA are added. So yes, Depth.

3 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Didn't you just describe most rookies about to get drafted? Are they not unknowns? Are they guaranteed to start?

Majority of NFL teams lack depth at CB. Most are lucky to have 1 legit CB, handful of teams actually have 2. When you start getting to nickle and dime pacjages that's where the players I listed do fall in the category of depth. 

Not every CB is a outside Starter. Not every DB can play SCB. So what's the difference between those listed and a Rookie coming into Vic Fangio's Defense?

Let's be real. Barring a trade Slay, JB, Rodgers, Ringo are all probably locks IMO. That's 4 of the probably 6 CB we will carry on the 53 man roster. Now it's a matter of what Rookies, FA and UDFA are added. So yes, Depth.

I can't see a way that JB is on the roster at the start of the season.  Aside from the fact he looks completely cooked, the amount of effort he gave down the stretch would be a bad look to trot him back out there.  Seems like a post June 1 cut if I've ever seen one.

2 hours ago, CasperX22 said:

I can't see a way that JB is on the roster at the start of the season.  Aside from the fact he looks completely cooked, the amount of effort he gave down the stretch would be a bad look to trot him back out there.  Seems like a post June 1 cut if I've ever seen one.

https://www.abc27.com/sports/sports-illustrated/arena-nfl/si-philadelphia-eagles-nfl/4affcdbf/eagles-reveal-current-plans-for-james-bradberry/#:~:text=He would have to be,make %249 million this year.&text=There's no question the veteran,-team All-Pro honors.

I get it, but it saves the Eagles No Money whatsoever. I don't see Howie taking that cap hit. 

I'm not making excuses for JB, his attitude,  his 2023 play but I am in agreement with the article and Howie. I've stated as much numerous times. 

It was idiotic to take a All Pro CB who played mostly Zone Coverage in 2022 ala Richard Sherman  and treat him like he's Darrell Revis. Moving him all over the field, following WR's. 

JB and Slay under Gannon played specific sides, never swapped, no matter the WR matchup under Gannon. Both were All Pro's with competent Safey and LB play.

NONE OF THAT occured in 2023. I don't think Vic will be that stupid of a DC either. 

Edited by Nabbs4u

5 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Adding a first round rookie would at least give us a guy with good tools to work with and develop. Someone with the possibility of a high ceiling and being a plus starter. Slay and a developmental Ringo are the only guys I see as worth hanging your hat on for this season. And Slay's time is very limited here. JB is an absolute corpse and needs to retire, and Rodgers is a flier as far as I'm concerned. Much different outlooks than a first round rookie.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Adding a first round rookie would at least give us a guy with good tools to work with and develop. Someone with the possibility of a high ceiling and being a plus starter. Slay and a developmental Ringo are the only guys I see as worth hanging your hat on for this season. And Slay's time is very limited here. JB is an absolute corpse and needs to retire, and Rodgers is a flier as far as I'm concerned. Much different outlooks than a first round rookie.

Think people will be upset then. I don't see Howie taking the Cap hit with no savings for cutting JB nor drafting a 1st rd CB. His history suggests that. 🤷‍♂️

I'm not saying I wouldn't welcome it or a trade for someone like Pat Surtain II. I just highly doubt it occurs. 

Not with clear and more pressing needs at Safety/LB/Pass Rusher that's all. I'm not saying it won't be addressed in the 2nd, just not inside the 1st. 

JB, Ricks, Ringo, Rodgers, Slay

All of this is nothing but speculation on either side of the coin. After FA, a clearer picture of needs will be available. 

Edited by Nabbs4u

9 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Think people will be upset then. I don't see Howie taking the Cap hit with no savings for cutting JB nor drafting a 1st rd CB. His history suggests that. 🤷‍♂️

I'm not saying I wouldn't welcome it or a trade for someone like Pat Surtain II. I just highly doubt it occurs. 

Not with clear and more pressing needs at Safety/LB/Pass Rusher that's all. I'm not saying it won't be addressed in the 2nd, just not inside the 1st. 

All of this is nothing but speculation at either side of the coin. After FA, a clearer picture of needs will be available. 

Yup but it's all fun to speculate about. Can't wait til free agency I think it's gonna be an exciting one for us this year. Howie has all the cap space he needs to really do whatever he wants.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

All of this is nothing but speculation on either side of the coin. After FA, a clearer picture of needs will be available. 

Howie will take an uninspiring iOL (Graham Barton) or an uninspiring EDGE (Chop Robinson). 

16 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

Howie will take an uninspiring iOL (Graham Barton) or an uninspiring EDGE (Chop Robinson). 

Why do you feel Chop is uninspiring? He's a crazy good athlete.

50 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

Building the trenches is never the sexy pick. Only singular reason we are were fine with Jalen Carter last year was because many experts suggested he was the consensus #1/#2 overall player in the draft.