Everyone Who Was Wrong About Brandon Stephens Raise Their Hand

I don’t know if anyone was wrong. This is the National Football League, I think the only egregious takes are “fans” like that @paraven guy that would criticize Lamar all the time for any bad, but yet not give him his flowers for anything he does well. Which means it’s just hate at best and other types of bias at worst.

People weren’t necessarily wrong with Brandon Stephens, this is a what have you done for me league and he was absolute booty juice trash his first season in and then improved to just below average last season.

While personally I was of the opinion that he dramatically improved from year 1 to year 2 and that it was a very real possibility that he could dramatically improve this season, I certainly didn’t assume that he would be locking down the likes of Tyreek Hill and would turn into a true #1 corner that we haven’t had since Prime Jimmy.

EDC should strongly think about extending Stephens this offseason at a bargain deal. Keep the bones of this secondary together for the foreseeable future.

As an aside: The Prime Jimmy comment not being a slight against Humphrey. He’s just never elevated to true lockdown cover status like his predecessor Jimmy Smith, Lardarius Webb (short peak), and Chris McAlister.

You couldn't/can’t confidently put Hump on an island against the NFL’s best all season, he’s been an above average to at times really good cover guy, that is a great playmaker and great tackler. You’d feel marginally confident with him on a top WR but he’s always good for a hold, DPI, or a big play on any given Sunday. His value is in run support, playmaking, and versatility.

If the Ravens best draft asset in the near future is an elite corner that falls, Humphrey could be used as an elite safety/CB hybrid weapon.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

You couldn't/can’t confidently put Hump on an island against the NFL’s best all season, he’s been an above average to at times really good cover guy, that is a great playmaker and great tackler. You’d feel marginally confident with him on a top WR but he’s always good for a hold, DPI, or a big play on any given Sunday. His value is in run support, playmaking, and versatility.

If the Ravens best draft asset in the near future is an elite corner that falls, Humphrey could be used as an elite safety/CB hybrid weapon.

I saw some metrics showing Humphrey was excellent in the slot this year.

• Like 1

Interesting thought. If we could draft a corner or bring back some of the guys that have played solidly for us. Could Humphrey slide to safety and kick Marcus Williams to the curb? I don’t really want to move Kyle Hamilton away from the LOS. Does humphrey have the speed to play deep?

6 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

I don’t know if anyone was wrong. This is the National Football League, I think the only egregious takes are “fans” like that @paraven guy that would criticize Lamar all the time for any bad, but yet not give him his flowers for anything he does well. Which means it’s just hate at best and other types of bias at worst.

People weren’t necessarily wrong with Brandon Stephens, this is a what have you done for me league and he was absolute booty juice trash his first season in and then improved to just below average last season.

While personally I was of the opinion that he dramatically improved from year 1 to year 2 and that it was a very real possibility that he could dramatically improve this season, I certainly didn’t assume that he would be locking down the likes of Tyreek Hill and would turn into a true #1 corner that we haven’t had since Prime Jimmy.

EDC should strongly think about extending Stephens this offseason at a bargain deal. Keep the bones of this secondary together for the foreseeable future.

As an aside: The Prime Jimmy comment not being a slight against Humphrey. He’s just never elevated to true lockdown cover status like his predecessor Jimmy Smith, Lardarius Webb (short peak), and Chris McAlister.

Jimmy Smith is my #1 most underrated Raven of all time and probably my 2nd favorite player ever behind Ray. 

I miss that guy man

I was definitely wrong when it comes to Stephens. I didn’t hate the pick but I believed that maybe they could convert him to safety and ironically be a Kyle Hamilton lite. When he didn’t play as well I didn’t think bust I just thought 3rd/4th corner at best now I think he’s a solid to great 2nd corner which is amazing. Also Hamilton should not be moved deep he should be our Polamalu

For next year I want our CB to be

Humphrey, Stephens, Maulet, Rookie, (Pepe, Davis, Vet) 2 of those 3

Williams, Hamilton, Washington, Rookie