Steelers 2024 NFL Draft Prospects

2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

What’s your take on Malachi Corley?

Needs to learn to be a route runner and he is a body catcher.  He is electric with the ball in his hands and has great straight line speed.

5 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

Describe unpolished. Most of these receivers can run damn near every route. As a coach, you have to understand the strengths/weaknesses of your players and adjust your system to it. Many on here love Ladd McConkey but he is better stacked or off the line of scrimmage. That means he has issues getting off jams/press coverage. Leggette was used as the vertical receiver but he understands route tempo well. Just remember that he's almost 30 pounds heavier than those small lightning bug movement players. The best comparison for Xavier Leggette is Deebo Samuel or AJ Brown.

I like Legette but he is George Pickens. Limited route tree in college, one year of production.  Contested catch ability is great.  Right now he sucks as a blocker but meh.  He could be a Debo Samuel but again, so could Pickens.

1 minute ago, jebrick said:

I like Legette but he is George Pickens. Limited route tree in college, one year of production.  Contested catch ability is great.  Right now he sucks as a blocker but meh.  He could be a Debo Samuel but again, so could Pickens.

Pickens wished he were as fast as Legette (I was mispelling his name). The production part doesn't worry me as many players explode in their junior or senior years. Jamar Chase is a prime example and he hasn't slowed down yet. As I stated earlier, X, Y, and Z all have specific routes for their roles in whichever offense they play in. Legette was the over the top big play guy or they ran him on shallow crosses, curls, comebacks, and a couple post corners I saw him run. As fans, don't fall for the lazy mainstream media scouting. 

1 hour ago, armsteeld said:

Describe unpolished. Most of these receivers can run damn near every route. As a coach, you have to understand the strengths/weaknesses of your players and adjust your system to it. Many on here love Ladd McConkey but he is better stacked or off the line of scrimmage. That means he has issues getting off jams/press coverage. Leggette was used as the vertical receiver but he understands route tempo well. Just remember that he's almost 30 pounds heavier than those small lightning bug movement players. The best comparison for Xavier Leggette is Deebo Samuel or AJ Brown.

Polished =McConkey, yes. 

1 hour ago, mwalker said:

I have to think we're looking for a great route runner (McMillan, Pearsall, McConkey)
more than we are another big guy, right?

Something tells me the Steelers love McMillan. I have no clear evidence of this though. Of the three ‘more polished’ guys above, Pearsall will be available when we pick in the second, likely. Unlikely for the other two…

22 minutes ago, rlon said:

Something tells me the Steelers love McMillan. I have no clear evidence of this though. Of the three ‘more polished’ guys above, Pearsall will be available when we pick in the second, likely. Unlikely for the other two…

McMillan also ran in the 4.4s which was otherwise going to be the one knock on him (his speed).
He's just a guy who always gets open. For UW, Odunze was the freak, Polk the sure handed plucker
and McMillan was the route running scheme killer. No idea if he can block or how absolute that is to 
the new scheme. 

1 hour ago, rlon said:

Some have concerns McMililan is only a Slot WR. I haven't seen much of him to have an informed opinion.  His size and speed says otherwise.  

2 hours ago, rlon said:

Polished =McConkey, yes. 

He's like majority of the other WRs in this draft class. He gets free releases and Georgia had NFL level passing attack. Pundits will say he's polished but he struggles on the outside. He's way better on switch releases and stacks which cause confusion to some DBs. He's not on the level of some guys that you can isolate him and he'd give them hell. Once he gets better at his releases, he'll be a really good player.

22 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

He's like majority of the other WRs in this draft class. He gets free releases and Georgia had NFL level passing attack. Pundits will say he's polished but he struggles on the outside. He's way better on switch releases and stacks which cause confusion to some DBs. He's not on the level of some guys that you can isolate him and he'd give them hell. Once he gets better at his releases, he'll be a really good player.

He’s exceptionally quick and has great head movement. I think he might be uncoverable from the slot. He doesn’t drift at all, he gains leverage with the first move and explodes into the second, easily creating good separation. His routes look incredible to me. Totally reminds me of Cooper.

When he is on the outside, particularly when alone, he’s going to have to learn how to use his hands early and effectively. Like you said, it may be a weakness…but we didn’t get a chance to see that enough in college. I think he’d be one hell of a punt returner in the league if they give him that role.

Loved his dad…by the way, tough tough receiver and special teams guy for the Giants. Strong mental genes to go along with the physical.

Edited by rlon
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, rlon said:

He’s exceptionally quick and has great head movement. I think he might be uncoverable from the slot. He doesn’t drift at all, he gains leverage with the first move and explodes into the second, easily creating good separation. His routes look incredible to me. Totally reminds me of Cooper.

When he is on the outside, particularly when alone, he’s going to have to learn how to use his hands early and effectively. Like you said, it may be a weakness…but we didn’t get a chance to see that enough in college. I think he’d be one hell of a punt returner in the league if they give him that role.

Loved his dad…by the way, tough tough receiver and special teams guy for the Giants. Strong mental genes to go along with the physical.

His dad played ball? Cooper is almost 220 pounds but he does have similar quickness. I actually compared him to Emmanuel Sanders. He's what you call an easy mover. Having him in the Slot would be scary. I can see Todd Monken, Baltimore's OC, banging the table hard for McConkey in round 1.