What are some examples of young promising playoff teams that never got over the hump?

CP3MVP

On 1/21/2024 at 1:10 PM, Steelersfan43 said:

I think the chargers with Dan Fouts deserve a mention but their defense were just awful too

1979 was their year and they blew it at home. The defense was actually excellent that year. 

The problem is Fouts had one of the worst playoff performances in history

• Like 1

Mid-90s Colts when they had Marshall Faulk. The Chargers in the mid-2000s, rebuilt and reenergized by Schotty. The 2002 Browns were one of the most exciting teams in league history.

And, reaching back into ancient history, the 2023 Packers.

Edited by y*so*blu

On 1/21/2024 at 11:27 AM, nicfre2011 said:

I am hoping when it's all said and done that the Burrow led Bengals and Sirianni led Eagles are included in this discussion.

I guess I'm hoping a Brinks truck takes flight and lands on your head.  Seriously, this franchise has never won.  

How many of these teams had the unfortunate timing of getting stuck behind a dynasty?  The Patriots blocked so many for many of the Brady years. The Chiefs have blocked the rest of the AFC for the most part.  

14 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

The 2002 Browns were one of the most exciting teams in league history.

Are you thinking of the ‘07 browns with Edwards Anderson and Winslow?

the ‘02 browns were not that exciting 

14 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Are you thinking of the ‘07 browns with Edwards Anderson and Winslow?

the ‘02 browns were not that exciting 

The 2001 and 2002 Browns were exciting because they had so many crazy finishes good or bad(like the crazy game and finish in week 1 vs chiefs in 2002,the game vs Bears in 2001 or the hail mary win vs jaguars in 2002 and many others!)  It was crazy!

But of course, they weren't an SB contender

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

I guess I'm hoping a Brinks truck takes flight and lands on your head.  Seriously, this franchise has never won.  

How many of these teams had the unfortunate timing of getting stuck behind a dynasty?  The Patriots blocked so many for many of the Brady years. The Chiefs have blocked the rest of the AFC for the most part.  

I mean if you are going to blame a “dynasty” blocking you then to Me it would only be fair to cite the other era that this team woulda been successful in terms of winning superbowls.

For example the Allen/McDermott Bills aren’t winning anything in the Brady era either if you placed them in that AFC.

On 1/25/2024 at 2:00 PM, game3525 said:

Yup. Like I can't blame Kaeding for 2004. Marty played not to lose in OT instead of letting Brees cook. 2006 was an entire team screw up. But 2009......man, it is hard not to put that on Kaeding. 

The INT where Vincent Jackson and Revis fought for the jump ball, and instead of the ball falling incomplete, while they were on the ground the ball somehow rolls over Jackson’s butt straight into Revis’ hands makes me think the Chargers were just destined to lose the game. 

4 hours ago, Jetzger said:

The INT where Vincent Jackson and Revis fought for the jump ball, and instead of the ball falling incomplete, while they were on the ground the ball somehow rolls over Jackson’s butt straight into Revis’ hands makes me think the Chargers were just destined to lose the game. 

I think the Chargers are just destined to lose, period, and no coach or set of players has been able to overcome it.