2024 off-season talk

jcvoodoo

If we bring in a Chase Young or similar player in free agency, I don't think we need to add another pass rusher. Between Cam Jordan, Carl Granderson, Chase Young*, Isaiah Foskey, Payton Turner, and Tanoh Kpassagnon we would be fine at DE to start the season. Still need to see if guys like Foskey and Turner can develop and be counted on for the future. Not ready to write both off just yet. More importantly we still would have Jordan, Granderson, and Young (potentially) to be more proven reliable pass rushers even if they don't develop. 

Our offensive line is undoubtedly the biggest need going into the offseason. I'd also like to see us add another LB into the mix at some point whether its through free agency with a guy like Devin White, or in the draft with someone like Payton Wilson.

2 hours ago, tyler735 said:

I'd also like to see us add another LB into the mix at some point whether its through free agency with a guy like Devin White, or in the draft with someone like Payton Wilson.

You've got your wish.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, JMG5 said:

You've got your wish.

Yep happy to see us bring in a talented young athletic LB. Played a lot of the Chiefs the past couple years and I’ve seen a lot of positive comments from Chiefs fans about him. 

A few years back at the combine he ran a 4.46 40, 40” vert, 11’4” Broad Jump weighing 245lbs. An absolute specimen at LB. Hopefully this is another case of Vilma or Demario Davis where we bring in  an talented athletic LB and bring his game to the next level with the Saints.

Edited by tyler735

15 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Yep happy to see us bring in a talented young athletic LB. Played a lot of the Chiefs the past couple years and I’ve seen a lot of positive comments from Chiefs fans about him. 

A few years back at the combine he ran a 4.46 40, 40” vert, 11’4” Broad Jump weighing 245lbs. An absolute specimen at LB. Hopefully this is another case of Vilma or Demario Davis where we bring in  an talented athletic LB and bring his game to the next level with the Saints.

We've been really fortunate with our FA Linebacker signings, so hopefully this trend continues.

1 hour ago, Mid Iowa said:

We've been really fortunate with our FA Linebacker signings, so hopefully this trend continues.

At the very least, one thing he has specialized in with his elite athleticism while with the Chiefs was spying QB's and disrupted a bunch of RB screens. Considering our issues with stopping mobile QB's over the past few years and having a team like the Falcons that will utilize Bijan Robinson quite a bit as a receiving threat. I think worst case Willie Gay should do a good job improving our defense in stopping those types of things even if he doesn't develop into the next Vilma or Davis, even though I really hope he does develop like those guys.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2024 at 4:16 PM, tyler735 said:

If we bring in a Chase Young or similar player in free agency, I don't think we need to add another pass rusher. Between Cam Jordan, Carl Granderson, Chase Young*, Isaiah Foskey, Payton Turner, and Tanoh Kpassagnon we would be fine at DE to start the season. Still need to see if guys like Foskey and Turner can develop and be counted on for the future. Not ready to write both off just yet. More importantly we still would have Jordan, Granderson, and Young (potentially) to be more proven reliable pass rushers even if they don't develop. 

Our offensive line is undoubtedly the biggest need going into the offseason. I'd also like to see us add another LB into the mix at some point whether its through free agency with a guy like Devin White, or in the draft with someone like Payton Wilson.

Huge signing for the Saints to bring in a young talented pass rusher. We've now upgraded at DE and LB this free agency with Chase Young and Willie Gay. Our defense is looking like it should be pretty well set going into the season. Now hopefully we can get a stud in the draft at LT. I wouldn't even be opposed to trading up a few spots to get Joe Alt otherwise if not, there are some other solid options that should be there at pick #14 as well. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Huge signing for the Saints to bring in a young talented pass rusher. We've now upgraded at DE and LB this free agency with Chase Young and Willie Gay. Our defense is looking like it should be pretty well set going into the season. Now hopefully we can get a stud in the draft at LT. I wouldn't even be opposed to trading up a few spots to get Joe Alt otherwise if not, there are some other solid options that should be there at pick #14 as well. 

I don't think this changes the draft very much. Yeah, DE isn't an absolute must anymore like it was before, but its still a need. You just don't have to reach anymore. You can take BPA. I expect them to sign a mid-tier OL player in free agency so they don't feel OL is a must either.

Also signed Oli Udoh, started 18 games but seems to be a backup for all spots on the O-Line. Give me any OL in the first or maybe even another weapon on offense, if someone falls there. Who could be our Deebo Samuel in this years draft?

2 hours ago, whodatOL said:

Also signed Oli Udoh, started 18 games but seems to be a backup for all spots on the O-Line. Give me any OL in the first or maybe even another weapon on offense, if someone falls there. Who could be our Deebo Samuel in this years draft?

Maybe we trade up into the 3rd round for someone like Malachi Corley or Xavier Legette if they fall out of the 2nd round. Both could be intriguing options to add to our WR room.

3 hours ago, JMG5 said:

I don't think this changes the draft very much. Yeah, DE isn't an absolute must anymore like it was before, but it’s still a need. You just don't have to reach anymore. You can take BPA. I expect them to sign a mid-tier OL player in free agency so they don't feel OL is a must either.

Will be interesting to see what happens, but I just don’t see us taking guys like Dallas Turner, or Jared Verse at pick #14. Their profile doesn’t really match the usual one our front office looks for in a pass rusher. A little on the light side. Both intriguing prospects, but I just don’t know that it’s a fit with what the front office is looking for. If I had to guess which player would be our pick today, I’d lean toward Troy Fautanu.

14 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Will be interesting to see what happens, but I just don’t see us taking guys like Dallas Turner, or Jared Verse at pick #14. Their profile doesn’t really match the usual one our front office looks for in a pass rusher. A little on the light side. Both intriguing prospects, but I just don’t know that it’s a fit with what the front office is looking for. If I had to guess which player would be our pick today, I’d lean toward Troy Fautanu.

They don't make guys like they want anymore. DEs are getting smaller outside of the genetic freaks like Myles Garrett. They have to change with the times.

1 minute ago, JMG5 said:

They don't make guys like they want anymore. DEs are getting smaller outside of the genetic freaks like Myles Garrett. They have to change with the times.

I doubt this is the year they do. Especially considering Chase Young perfectly fits that mold they look for.

• 1 month later...