2024 off-season talk

jcvoodoo

23 hours ago, SWATcha said:

So, with the hire of Kubiak as OC, we all got our wish. Adios, Pete. Just curious though, ( I'm way too lazy to look), how many different OCs has Carr been under now in his career? It feels like he's had more OCs than years in the league lol.

This will be OC #7 (kind of #8 if you count Greg Olson coming back after 3 years out).
6 Head coaches (7 stints if you count returning back to Dennis Allen).

Almost as bad as Jameis Winston having 5 or 6 different HC's in his first 5 or 6 years.

I've been pleasantly surprised with the coaching hires. We went younger and more innovative at the OC and QB coach positions and followed that up with experience at the OL and run game coordinator positions. Not just experience with the scheme, but experience developing offensive lineman. Smart decision by Loomis and company. Glad they gave Kubiak the reigns to hire his guys in key areas to get the most out of our players.

We also hired former Chargers RB coach who has done some great work with Ekeler and are rumored to be hiring Ravens assistant WR coach.

This could all crash and burn and we could be sitting here again next year calling for DA's head, but unfortunately I'm optimistic again. 😔

Edited by JMG5
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, JMG5 said:

This could all crash and burn and we could be sitting here again next year calling for DA's head, but unfortunately I'm optimistic again. 😔

Well that's always the case, right? Every team has aspirations of winning a Lombardi, but there's always that special combination that you won't know until it works, or flops.

I like the shake up, and the movement. They're going outside the org (with a few exceptions) rather than staying within. That tells me they're rebuilding from the top down, rather than just inserting a few pieces here and there like a band-aid.

Anything less than a 6-4 or 7-3 start may require a mid-season HC change. Of course, I doubt they'll do that due to the defensive influence, but my mind says that's the bar.

Edited by Mid Iowa
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

Well that's always the case, right? Every team has aspirations of winning a Lombardi, but there's always that special combination that you won't know until it works, or flops.

I like the shake up, and the movement. They're going outside the org (with a few exceptions) rather than staying within. That tells me they're rebuilding from the top down, rather than just inserting a few pieces here and there like a band-aid.

Anything less than a 6-4 or 7-3 start may require a mid-season HC change. Of course, I doubt they'll do that due to the defensive influence, but my mind says that's the bar.

If we don't win the division I think everyone is getting fired. The only scenario I could see us missing the playoffs and still keeping everyone is if we have a hot start (6-2 or 7-3) and a catastrophic QB injury derails the season.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, JMG5 said:

If we don't win the division I think everyone is getting fired. The only scenario I could see us missing the playoffs and still keeping everyone is if we have a hot start (6-2 or 7-3) and a catastrophic QB injury derails the season.

I could see that.

I wonder if Kubiak will push to grab a new QB in the draft. Even though we're married to Carr for a few more years, we've seen the effect of having a QB learn from a Vet for a few years before being thrown into the mix.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JMG5 said:

This could all crash and burn and we could be sitting here again next year calling for DA's head, but unfortunately I'm optimistic again. 

The brilliance of the NFL on full display. No matter how bad the year before was. No matter how dire the situation may seem. Year after year, we come back hoping this will be the year! Cheers to optimism 🍻

1 hour ago, Mid Iowa said:

I could see that.

I wonder if Kubiak will push to grab a new QB in the draft. Even though we're married to Carr for a few more years, we've seen the effect of having a QB learn from a Vet for a few years before being thrown into the mix.

It would be nice to catch lightning in a bottle and Kubiak ends up being a bright offensive mind along the lines of Sean Payton.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

They couldn't even start that good with the easiest schedule in the NFL. I still hold to DA being a total bum as a HC. 

We need to see how the offseason shakes out though. FA movement. Draft. I don't think Carolina improves too much. I don't think Tampa gets too much better or worse. The Falcons have a strong base and with the right moves and a new coach could be really strong. DA might have his hands full just trying to win the NFCS.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

I could see that.

I personally wouldn't be opposed to them going after a QB at some point in this draft. Even if it's a day 2 guy like Rattler, or Penix (if he were to fall), but with the recent comments made by our front office regarding Jake Haener, I think they really like him and will probably want to see if he can be groomed into our QB of the future over the next couple years. I suppose the optimist in me would have some hope that Haener could be the next Brock Purdy especially with Kubiak coming here. Haener during the draft process did draw some comparisons to Purdy as well. 

• Like 1

On 2/17/2024 at 8:08 AM, tyler735 said:

I personally wouldn't be opposed to them going after a QB at some point in this draft. Even if it's a day 2 guy like Rattler, or Penix (if he were to fall)

In watching Rattler, I'm not sold on him, at all. I recall him having some good games with good WRs helping him his Freshman year, and ultimately got benched, transferred, and was just okay.

Of course Haener could be fun. He's small, but accurate. And I'm guessing there's no chance in heck we can get close to Jayden Daniels, but man, he's got about everything you'd want in a QB. He's just getting better and better, and just needs a little more meat on his bones.

Now, Penix... This shows what the right team can do for the right athlete. I need to watch more film on him, but he could be something. I'm concerned with his knee injury history, so that's the biggest red flag I see there.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

In watching Rattler, I'm not sold on him, at all. I recall him having some good games with good WRs helping him his Freshman year, and ultimately got benched, transferred, and was just okay.

Rattler is about as tough of an evaluation as they come. He had as good of a freshman year as one could hope for as a QB. Started off decently his sophomore year, but had a guy named Caleb Williams behind him on the depth chart, which was only a matter of time until he was going to get his chance to play being the top recruit that year in college football. I think the narrative on Rattler looks a lot different had Caleb Williams went to another school to start his college career.

Rattler transferred to South Carolina where he had a couple solid seasons, but not elite years. Had he stayed at Oklahoma, I can't help but think the past 2 years go much better for him with a better team/more talent to work with. He had 6 season ending injuries on the OL this past season and 2 true freshman were starting much of the season in the SEC. They also had statistically the hardest ranked strength of schedule of any college football team this past season. When watching some games, at times, it's easy to see why he was thought of as a future #1 overall draft pick at one point, but then other times, he makes head scratching decisions with the ball. His arm talent is right up there with anyone in the draft. Probably 2nd to Caleb Williams in many aspects. Given the terrible OL situation going against the hardest SOS in college football this past season, it's a little easier to understand why he might force or rush throws at times as he took a beating behind that OL.

He's a case where I think the Senior Bowl is incredibly valuable. He essentially transferred from a top team with Oklahoma to a dumpster fire of a situation with South Carolina. The Senior Bowl allowed him to show scouts how he stacks up against the likes of Penix, Nix, and a few other guys in this draft. Most reports I saw highlighted Rattler as the star of the week at QB and was also the MVP of the Senior Bowl game as well. As a day 2 pick, I think he is definitely worth the risk as he has all the talent to be a good NFL QB, but it also wouldn't be shocking if he busted and fizzled out of the league after a few years.

6 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

Now, Penix... This shows what the right team can do for the right athlete. I need to watch more film on him, but he could be something. I'm concerned with his knee injury history, so that's the biggest red flag I see there.

Penix is definitely an interesting prospect. The injury history/age along while being in a strong QB class could drop him to the 2nd round. Even while at Indiana with minimal talent around him, he had games where he looked like a future 1st round pick. Huge games against Ohio State and Michigan a few years back with Indiana, and obviously has been excellent with Washington the past 2 years. I certainly wouldn't be upset if he was drafted by the Saints. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tyler735 said:

Penix is definitely an interesting prospect. The injury history/age along while being in a strong QB class could drop him to the 2nd round. Even while at Indiana with minimal talent around him, he had games where he looked like a future 1st round pick. Huge games against Ohio State and Michigan a few years back with Indiana, and obviously has been excellent with Washington the past 2 years. I certainly wouldn't be upset if he was drafted by the Saints. 

I'm not sure what to think about Penix. Sometimes he looks like a surefire NFL starter. Other times, he looks like a 4th string clipboard holder. His decision making and ability to stay calm under pressure kind of bother me.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/25/2024 at 7:00 AM, jcvoodoo said:

With all the recent restructures, where are the Saints in terms of cap compliancy?

I believe they're cap compliant after the most recent Davis extension.

Don't hate bringing in Maddox to be our slot CB, but I hate the idea of trading Lattimore for a pitiful return. 

I don't hate the idea of bringing in Chase Young on a modest deal, but we still need to draft a pass rusher early.