Conference Championship: San Francisco 49ers vs Detroit Lions

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Lookin like Vick in Madden 2004.

Lamar took his MVP, so Purdy took Lamar's legs 🙂

Not to toot my own horn, but I did mention during or after the Packers game that with the way defenses are playing us now, Purdy has plenty of opportunities to scramble and he needs to do so. If he does this consistently, then the defenses have to adjust again. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

BIG BIG BIG BIG shoutout to Gibson. Huge on the forced fumble but then made a big play on the following drive when he prevented La Porta to catch it with the hit he laid on him. 

Also, Ji'Ayir Brown had issues on fits (but I think the vast majority of that was the defensive line; will make conclusions upon review), but he made a massive play on the ball during one of the drives that they ended up being stopped on fourth down on. It looked to me at real time that he had interfered with the play, but he had actually flashed across the play and messed with the receiver's concentration while keeping his body out of the way. Really nice work. He did have a ball that he could have driven on better in the first half on a dig that Goff made a nice throw on.

Greenlaw and Warner did good work in the running game, but man have they not been themselves in the passing game. For the second week in a row, Greenlaw bit up underneath on a checkdown on third and long only for the opposition to nail in behind him for like a 25 yard gain on a deep over and did the same thing on the play where Goff threw it behind St. Brown and the ball was juggled. Warner completely busted in Tampa 2 on the Gibbs touchdown miss at the end of the first half. We've had some real composure issues throughout the defense over the course of the postseason. They had their issues in the regular season, but these sort of assignment mistakes and immature overaggression feel more Cowboys than us. Getting beat because we give up 5 yards every single play due to passivity is usually more of our style.

• Like 1

I'm so happy we won this game, but if I was Kyle, I'd really consider making a change at DC for next season. 

We're essentially playing with all the same guys from last year, but now they're all bad at tackling, can't stop the pin and pull, and can't get to the QB. 

We had a front-7-oriented defense last year and they were nasty. We have a coverage-oriented defense this year and they're softer and less disciplined. 

It's clear Wilks does not preach SWARM like Ryans did. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I'm so happy we won this game, but if I was Kyle, I'd really consider making a change at DC for next season. 

We're essentially playing with all the same guys from last year, but now they're all bad at tackling, can't stop the pin and pull, and can't get to the QB. 

We had a front-7-oriented defense last year and they were nasty. We have a coverage-oriented defense this year and they're softer and less disciplined. 

I wasn't worried about the coordinator to start the season; Ryans and Saleh had left me with the belief that Kyle's overall institutional control and general vision and the players' institutional memory would mean that the defense would remain good. But those tweaks that both guys brought - the occasional cleverly designed and timed blitz, the setting out in the beginning of the game with a good game plan specific to that team (we seem to start games without any opponent-specific tech in every game and then adjust), the energy. We're missing that. Now, I don't think the downgrade is as important as losing Hufunga was. And even possibly Farrell. For as annoying as it was to watch Farrell lose contain on every mobile quarterback, and he was never beating any offensive lineman to the punch, I'll tell you that we had a crap ton less of complete gap failures. Chase Young makes the occasional play by just being a freak, but he just does not have any buy in to team defense. And Randy Gregory is washed. And Joseph-Day is washed. And they don't trust Kalia Davis? Which - fair. So we have Bosa, Kinlaw, Hargrave, and Armistead that we can trust for gap integrity and that's it.

Edited by JIllg
  • Like 1

Just now, JIllg said:

Also, Ji'Ayir Brown had issues on fits (but I think the vast majority of that was the defensive line; will make conclusions upon review), but he made a massive play on the ball during one of the drives that they ended up being stopped on fourth down on. It looked to me at real time that he had interfered with the play, but he had actually flashed across the play and messed with the receiver's concentration while keeping his body out of the way. Really nice work. He did have a ball that he could have driven on better in the first half on a dig that Goff made a nice throw on.

Greenlaw and Warner did good work in the running game, but man have they not been themselves in the passing game. For the second week in a row, Greenlaw bit up underneath on a checkdown on third and long only for the opposition to nail in behind him for like a 25 yard gain on a deep over and did the same thing on the play where Goff threw it behind St. Brown and the ball was juggled. Warner completely busted in Tampa 2 on the Gibbs touchdown miss at the end of the first half. We've had some real composure issues throughout the defense over the course of the postseason. They had their issues in the regular season, but these sort of assignment mistakes and immature overaggression feel more Cowboys than us. Getting beat because we give up 5 yards every single play due to passivity is usually more of our style.

So what the Packers and Lions have taken advantage of in spots of the games were having delayed releases by the backs and TEs. That led to a few 3rd downs and was one of the reasons why the backers started to play the underneath routes. 

It's just been tough for our defense to be effective without our front getting pressure with rushing four. Our entire defense is really built off the DL doing their thing and then the coverage being on point for 2.5-3 seconds. If the opposing QB has more time, then there will be holes in the zone. What we need to do is mix up the coverages more and go to man more than we have. Trust our corners against opposing WRs, especially if we have Ward following the opposing teams #1 WR.

Against the Chiefs, I want to see Ward on Kelce on 3rd downs. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NinerNation21 said:

Ryans is a really, really good coach.  After what he did in Houston, I am not sure an adequate replacement exists.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NinerNation21 said:

Or just let Wilks run his own system. I can't imagine how difficult it is to try and run someone else's system

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Forge said:

Or just let Wilks run his own system. I can't imagine how difficult it is to try and run someone else's system

Personnel problems have reared their ugly head, too. One of the questions of the offseason was how could they replace Ebukam and Omenihu on a budget. The hope was that Drake Jackson would step up as a supplementary pass rusher, Farrell would take on some Ebukam responsibility and that Austin Jackson would be useful depth while Beal developed. Well, Drake Jackson busted out in part due to injury, Austin Jackson busted out in part due to injury, Farrell at least wasn't an eye-gouging problem, and there was no one else. So they brought in Gregory and Young. And Young at least has done what the staff was hoping that Drake Jackson would do. But without Farrell and with Gregory being basically unplayable, they just don't have enough useful bodies out there. Whenever they tried to buy time with Joseph-Day or Gregory, it was miserably bad.

Edited by JIllg
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

Does he run a 4-3?

Yes. 

But he's never been a wide 9 guy, and he's often been a heavy blitzer, particularly fire zone blitzes. They are basically asking him to run Saleh / Ryans' system. 

It feels mostly like they hired him to be a caretaker rather than an actual DC 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yes. 

But he's never been a wide 9 guy, and he's often been a heavy blitzer, particularly fire zone blitzes. They are basically asking him to run Saleh / Ryans' system. 

It feels mostly like they hired him to be a caretaker rather than an actual DC 

I do think that keeping the system was the right call. We've built the personnel that we have to do that defense specifically. But taking a risk on a more inexperienced guy that both knows and believes in that system was probably the better call even if you could definitely count on Wilks being a good, sensible, reliable presence in the locker room. Ryans had a lot of growing pains his first season in charge. Saleh through his first couple. But both guys had devout belief in the sort of defense that this personnel has been selected to execute and grew a feel for the counters to their usual counters (Pepperidge Farm remembers when Saleh's automatic conversions to Cover 3 Mable against trips were ripped to bits, but he adjusted without the central concept of the defense deteriorating). Wilks feels like (as the caretaker you have described) he runs our base zone plays for the first half until Kyle and/or John can poke him with the things that are going wrong for adjustments in the second. But that is probably unnecessarily wild speculation on my part