Conference Championship: San Francisco 49ers vs Detroit Lions

The NFCCG is set and it will be the Niners against the Lions. We all expected to be here and the Lions have played great for much of the season so it is not a huge surprise they find themselves in this game. 

Offensively, we really struggled, especially with interior pressure and Purdy couldn't throw the ball in the rain last night. Luckily, at least one of those should not be a factor next Sunday. The Lions have a nice DL and they put Hutchinson inside quite a bit and that could give our OL some issues. Heck, him just going up against McKivitz is a huge mismatch. The Lions are very good at stopping the run game and we have one of the best run games behind CMC. That will be a big matchup but I think Kyle will put the game on Purdy's arm and have him operate against the 31st ranked pass defense. The Lions allow a lot of passing yards but are stout in the RZ so it will be very important to take advantage of all our opportunities. Who knows if Deebo will play or not but it is fair to assume that Kyle will draw up a game plan with the thought of him not playing so the team isn't caught off guard like it was last night. Aiyuk needs to get 10+ targets this game and Kittle will need to win his match up. CMC should be getting 7-8 catches as well. 

Defensively, we just have to get to Goff and put pressure on him as we often times used to do when he was with the Rams. Gibbs scares me and he is dynamic but aside from one big run from Jones, our run defense was pretty good against the Packers. St. Brown is going to get a lot of targets and will get his but we will need to limit La Porta. And really, we have always done well against opposing TEs because of our backers and scheme. The Lions will try to start the game pounding the rock with Montgomery but if we can slow that down, our pass defense should do a decent enough of a job. At the very least, they should be able to prevent the big plays over the top. Like against the Packers, our RZ defense will need to be stout. This will be the first time in seven weeks that the Lions will be playing outdoors. Granted, the conditions will be good but it is still not a dome. I don't think our pass rush was that bad against the Packers, just that they were able to often times block with six against our four. This game Wilks will need to blitz more and to give Goff different looks. Bosa vs Sewell is going to be a great match up but one where Bosa will win his fair share but he will need to finish some of his wins with sacks. Tired of him getting five QB hits and zero sacks. That just should not happen.

I have a lot of respect for Dan Campbell and the Lions organization for turning it around as quickly as they did. However, this is a game we should win with or without Deebo. I think he does end up suiting up even if he is a decoy like he was against the Cardinals earlier in the season.

49ers 34

Lions 17

• Like 2

Like I said in the playoff thread, I would have loved this matchup weeks ago.

I just don't trust our defense to show up, play sound, TACKLE, and get to the QB.

Not to mention will we ever be able to get off the field on 3rd downs for a majority of any game anymore?

Gibbs scares the **** out me in the open field and on those outside runs. 

Even if we start Brown, as we should, he has been susceptible to lunging at ball carriers and missing tackles. Do that against Gibbs and it's a house call.

Offensively, we haven't really been ourselves since the Ravens game. 

Before, I thought we could just outscore them.

But w/o Deebo and Brock not being as precise as he was pre-Ravens, I'm not as confident in the offense to make that defense pay.

I really think it's a 50/50 game at this point.

Hopefully us being at home is enough and trusting that Goff can fold in certain instances will be enough.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 1

Detroit is a good team so fair to have some fear going into the match up. But this season Goff has been much better at home opposed to the road and this is an outdoors game. Our offense should be fine and if Deebo is not a go, then we need to use McCloud in some of those packages. 

• Like 2

I believe in the dome team hinderance. in the playoffs. Always have. 

49ers can get back on track. Should play better than they did in bad weather with maybe a bit of overall rust as a unit. Also had 6 penalties to 1 against the Packers, and I'm gonna assume that disparity isn't as bad next time. Should also be able to force more than a single punt yikes. 

Samus maybe not playing is huge, but at least Kyle, and his boys will go into the gameplan this week having a feel as to whether he'll play or not. Kyle's game management in a tight game is what scares me more than Detroit overall. 

I think we still win 28-17, and feel good about it moving forward to the Super Bowl. If we do lose, as much as losing in the NFC Championship round is the worst place to lose in my opinion (especially at home) the Lions would be the least hurtful opponent to lose to. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

33 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I just don't trust our defense to show up, play sound, TACKLE, and get to the QB.

Not to mention will ever be able to get off the field on 3rd downs for a majority of any game anymore?

Even if we start Brown, as we should, he has been susceptible to lunging at ball carriers and missing tackles. Do that against Gibbs and it's a house call.

But w/o Deebo and Brock not being as precise as he was pre-Ravens, I'm not as confident in the offense to make that defense pay.

Hopefully us being at home is enough and trusting that Goff can fold in certain instances will be enough.

Yes agreed with everything you said about this game. I hope they win but wouldn't surprise me if they lost and definitely shouldn't be 7 point favorites as the line says. 

Can the Niners defense force more than one punt in this game? Also will the Niners offense make the Lions look better than they really are against the pass? I know running the ball against the Lions defense will be difficult and thus it makes it a Brock heavy game and that spells disaster if the offensive can't pass protect and also the Lions like to rush members of the secondary and that gives the Niners pass protection problems. 

Even IF Deebo plays, Kyle should not base his game plan around him playing the entire game. I believe Aiyuk should have a big game and get Kittle more touches. CMC will continue to do great things! 

Lions are similar to GB in the fact that their offense is electric. We HAVE to stop their run game and limit their big plays. Play smarter football and limit penalties. I would love to say, pressure Goff, but he’s getting the ball out quick and he has one of the better Olines. 

Weather seems to be a non factor which is HUGE! 

I think this will be another close game - 

SF - 31

DET - 24

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

Not to mention will we ever be able to get off the field on 3rd downs for a majority of any game anymore?

I'm not worried about Brock. He had a rough game against one of the best defenses in the past 30 years in the Ravens that had some weird bad luck involved. He struggles in rain. I was with Forge all week in believing that the rain was a huge downside for us, given that our passing game is our A++ superpower. In between, he was plenty good against Washington.

I don't think anything's changed for him based on a couple of data points in weird conditions. I think that the season's worth of data points is more predictive. The Lions have a bad pass defense that particularly struggles with explosive plays while being too aggressive. Brock eviscerates bad pass defenses. Teams have caught on to the danger more in the later season. They are giving him the Patty Mahomes treatment. Brock's just gotta be patient. 

On the other side of the ball, gotta harass Goff and stop the run. They'll get theirs. I think we'll get more. 

• Like 1

Using a completely scientific method of feeling like the rust is gone, the motivation after almost being eliminated yesterday is strong, Goff struggles against the Niners, and the Lions aren’t the same outdoors, I’m just not nervous at all about this one and am going 42-24 in this one. 

I’m sure the confidence will slip as we get closer to Sunday, but right now I see the Niners going up big early and never looking back. 

• Like 2