AFC Conference Championship: Ravens vs. Chiefs

Maybe the answer is just execution. There were definitely plays where the playcall would not have mattered because the rusher was accounted for but the blocker just got beat immediately (thinking in particularly of that safety blitz in the 3rd quarter where Hill completely whiffed on the block) -- but I'd like to understand why in both playoff games this offense came out just completely unprepared when the defnse blitzed. The Spags gameplan this week was not at all a secret and yet the offense looked shellshocked against it. Felt like the Miami game 2 years ago. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, santiagomn8 said:

My bad everyone! I thought you were saying I had mental issues lol. Again my bad for the misunderstanding. Yes I agree this whole mentality of I’m not going to feel anything until I win. I feel isn’t working for him. Yes there might be some players that it works for Michael Jordan, Kobe, Brady but maybe he just isn’t that. Say what you will about Flacco but he had the best run in playoff history and beat Luck (rookie sensation) Manning and Brady and the top of their powers and Kapernick/crazy San Fransico Defense. He also did it with an average team. What more does Lamar need???? I believe in Decosta and. I do think the is team can potentially be better roster wise next year. So we definitely have a chance. I will say if we don’t win at least one before Lamar’s contract run out then start again period

It's insane to call the 2012 team average. Their regular season defense was average because they lost Ray, Ngata, and Suggs, but they all played in the playoffs and played at an elite level. 

3 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Maybe the answer is just execution. There were definitely plays where the playcall would not have mattered because the rusher was accounted for but the blocker just got beat immediately (thinking in particularly of that safety blitz in the 3rd quarter where Hill completely whiffed on the block) -- but I'd like to understand why in both playoff games this offense came out just completely unprepared when the defnse blitzed. The Spags gameplan this week was not at all a secret and yet the offense looked shellshocked against it. Felt like the Miami game 2 years ago. 

I understand you might be upset after the loss, but that seems like a rather drastic and violent solution, no?

• Like 4

Thinking back on some of the moves the Ravens could have made but didn't.

Failing to trade for an upgrade at RB hurt. Think about this offense with a true 3 down threat like Jacobs or Barkley would have been much more threatening. 

And I still think not signing Suh was a mistake. Having a bad*ss on the DL could have prevented the Chiefs from stomping on us those first two drives and getting the lead. 

5 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

It's insane to call the 2012 team average. Their regular season defense was average because they lost Ray, Ngata, and Suggs, but they all played in the playoffs and played at an elite level. 

The defense played at an elite level? Were they bad absolutely not but Flacco beat Mannning stop it and even in the superbowl they barely hung on stop it 

1 minute ago, AngusMcFife said:

Thinking back on some of the moves the Ravens could have made but didn't.

Failing to trade for an upgrade at RB hurt. Think about this offense with a true 3 down threat like Jacobs or Barkley would have been much more threatening. 

And I still think not signing Suh was a mistake. Having a bad*ss on the DL could have prevented the Chiefs from stomping on us those first two drives and getting the lead. 

What was the point of signing Dalvin Cook?  It saying he would have made a difference it damn this was just terrible

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, santiagomn8 said:

The defense played at an elite level? Were they bad absolutely not but Flacco beat Mannning stop it and even in the superbowl they barely hung on stop it 

They held the Manning's Broncos in Devner to 21 points over 5 quarters and made the game clinching INT and scored a pick-6. 

They shut down Brady in Foxboro to 13 points. 

They held the Colts to 9 points. 

Yes they were leaky in the second half of the SB but got the stop in the end. 

Edited by AngusMcFife

3 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

They held the Manning's Broncos in Devner to 21 points over 5 quarters and made the game clinching INT and scored a pick-6. 

They shut down Brady in Foxboro to 13 points. 

They held the Colts to 9 points. 

Yes they were leaky in the second half of the SB but got the stop in the end. 

Sure but let’s compare to what this defense did I the playoffs. Stroud 3 points Mahomes 17 points. Also Flacco had to keep up it not that serious. Simple question what team was better on paper the Flacco Ravens or the Lamar Ravens and don’t talk to me about OCs because Flacco has 2 in the same season and he had Caldwell for the run

4 minutes ago, santiagomn8 said:

Sure but let’s compare to what this defense did I the playoffs. Stroud 3 points Mahomes 17 points. Also Flacco had to keep up it not that serious.

The 2012 Pats and Broncos were absolute offensive juggernauts. 

The 2023 Texans and Chiefs were slightly above league average. 

I'm not arguing that Flacco didn't have a great run. But you said the 2012 was an average team, which is just absurd. 

Simple question what team was better on paper the Flacco Ravens or the Lamar Ravens and don’t talk to me about OCs because Flacco has 2 in the same season and he had Caldwell for the run

Hard to say. The 2023 Ravens had a bunch of average players (such as at CB and Edge) play to their max limit during the regular season, but TBH were never that good. Likewise there was no stout interior DL. They were a great regular season team. 

The 2012 Ravens had probably 6 HOF players (Ray, Ed, Suggs, Ngata, Yanda, Tucker), and while Ray and Ed were old, they were incredibly smart and great leaders.