Raiders expected to hire Tom Telesco as GM

NYRaider

6 minutes ago, Soko said:

How is it stacked? 

They’ve got a little bit of top end talent, some of which I’m not going to hurt myself patting Telesco on the back over (Bosa, Derwin, Slater, Herbert). Ekeler and Allen were nice finds, like 10 years ago. Where’s all this loaded talent? 

Not saying they’re devoid of it like last year’s Bears or something, but they’re a team with a couple good players and absolutely no depth. Who was the last FA signing that worked out there? I guess Gerald Everett, sort of? Four re-signed draft picks outside of the first round. 

People are excited about Harbaugh because he’s an established coach joining a young, talented QB that’s routinely fallen short of expectations. Who built those teams? Coaching was a problem, obviously, but you’re making it sound like this dude’s built teams like SF or Philly. He absolutely hasn’t. 

MACK

10 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

MACK

Mack was a trade. 

Telesco whiffs on almost anything that’s not a semi obvious FRP (Bosa, being left with Herbert after Burrow and Tua got drafted, Slater best tackle available, Derwin). In 10 years he’s barely got hits on Day 2/Day 3. We’re still formulating which FAs he really hit home runs on, it’s taking time. But at least he traded for Khalil Mack!

Four second contracts in a decade, Day 2 and Day 3. Only two Pro Bowlers out of that bunch. Never won the division. Almost half of his seasons were bottom 8 in the league. Never fixed the run defense. 2-3 in the playoffs, three postseason appearances, with basically non-stop franchise QB level play. Solid results in the first round, but even then, not like he’s constantly hitting (Murray, Gordon, Tillery, Attaochu, Verrett not his fault, Johnston). 

How again is the roster stacked?

11 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

I'm not buying the BS. Every team drafts bust like QJ. It's about hitting at high percentage. Everyone and their mom wanted JC. Why is everyone so excited about Harbaugh to Chargers? Because they had a stacked roster but bum coaches. Who built that stacked roster 

Basically this entire forum predicted that that free agent signing would bust.

6 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Basically this entire forum predicted that that free agent signing would bust.

What was the last great patriot corner to work out? Asante Samuel! Not counting Stephon Gilmore as he came from Buffa already establishing himself as one of the best. The Raiders corner is showing promise though.. 

I was just commenting  on another thread about culture and scheme. I'd say the GM needs to set up the culture and the coaches the scheme. Al was the Raiders culture. Mark hired Gruden and traded Mack. I've felt off as a fan ever since. It's because that didn't seem like the Raider way. The Ravens culture was established by Ozzie Newsom. Rams and SF have coach/GM's that bring scheme and are establishing culture. AP is bringing culture but we need Telesco to bring culture because coaches can come and go but as long as you get players who fit the overall culture then the schemes can change with coaches but the 'team' has an identity. 

On 1/25/2024 at 9:09 PM, Soko said:

Mack was a trade. 

Telesco whiffs on almost anything that’s not a semi obvious FRP (Bosa, being left with Herbert after Burrow and Tua got drafted, Slater best tackle available, Derwin). In 10 years he’s barely got hits on Day 2/Day 3. We’re still formulating which FAs he really hit home runs on, it’s taking time. But at least he traded for Khalil Mack!

Four second contracts in a decade, Day 2 and Day 3. Only two Pro Bowlers out of that bunch. Never won the division. Almost half of his seasons were bottom 8 in the league. Never fixed the run defense. 2-3 in the playoffs, three postseason appearances, with basically non-stop franchise QB level play. Solid results in the first round, but even then, not like he’s constantly hitting (Murray, Gordon, Tillery, Attaochu, Verrett not his fault, Johnston). 

you don't know ball. Everyone Chargers have been having talent but underachieved. 

4 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

you don't know ball. Everyone Chargers have been having talent but underachieved. 

Yeah, I’ve been asking you to explain it to me, and you haven’t be willing (able) to.

On 1/26/2024 at 12:09 AM, Soko said:

On 1/26/2024 at 4:23 AM, Humble_Beast said:

I'm not buying the BS. Every team drafts bust like QJ. It's about hitting at high percentage. Everyone and their mom wanted JC. Why is everyone so excited about Harbaugh to Chargers? Because they had a stacked roster but bum coaches. Who built that stacked roster 

Edited by kramxel

On 1/27/2024 at 10:16 AM, Humble_Beast said:

Nah, people just overrate the Chargers roster and think the recent teams are like the one's from the mid-2000s. AJ Smith built good, strong rosters for the most part of his tenure here. Telesco hasn't and the numbers bear that out. From 2013-2023, the only area the Chargers are not below average in in terms of EPA was the passing game. He wasted the backend of Rivers career and then wasted Herbert when he was cheap. 

1 minute ago, game3525 said:

Nah, people just overrate the Chargers roster and think the recent teams are like the one's from the mid-2000s. AJ Smith built good, strong rosters for the most part of his tenure here. Telesco hasn't and the numbers bear that out. From 2013-2023, the only area the Chargers are not below average in in terms of EPA was the passing game. He wasted the backend of Rivers career and then wasted Herbert when he was cheap. 

Agreed. I’ve been saying the Chargers rosters are garbage for the past several years when everyone else hypes them up. I’m now super nervous with them having Harbaugh…

• Like 1