Around The League

Jerry

51 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

I was extremely excited for Koonce this year, just thought the D played well week 1 and 2, so to use him as the excuse week 3 is tough imo. We played better Os, without Koonce and did way better.

that said I know he was a huge loss, but I can’t give the D a pass all year because of it.

-

Yea, Deablo I’ll give ya. He apparently was more important to this D than I thought. 

First game defense got gassed after 3rd qtr. to say koonce wouldn’t have made a difference is strange 

53 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

I was extremely excited for Koonce this year, just thought the D played well week 1 and 2, so to use him as the excuse week 3 is tough imo. We played better Os, without Koonce and did way better.

that said I know he was a huge loss, but I can’t give the D a pass all year because of it.

-

Yea, Deablo I’ll give ya. He apparently was more important to this D than I thought. 

First game defense got gassed after 3rd qtr. to say koonce wouldn’t have made a difference is strange 

1 hour ago, BackinBlack said:

I’m some what torn on this.

indont know what positions you think we’ve stockpiled talent at over the last 10+ years?

The only position possible would be WR, and I think a lot on here have said we’ve used too many resources on WR.

but again, the bigger problem here is coaching/ gm turnover. Because the team gets gutted when it happens. 

id love to stockpile great DEs and DTs, don’t care if it’s luxury, that’d be great but we haven’t. We did try to pair Crosby with Wilson, which is looking a bust, but they did try. 
As you said we blow picks.. it has nothing to do with us stockpiling positions.. because we don’t get the talent.

i am torn though, because we had our choice of any D player in the draft. Which is wild. I certainly was hoping and expecting D.

that said, it’s tough to be angry with Bowers. 
Our biggest problem is blowing picks, and Brock’s skill set was one of the most complete packages in the draft. 

Even though Getsy has only used him as TE I think you gotta look at him as just a weapon. He can move around and help our O in many areas. 

Ultimately tho, until we get GM and then a coach in place, we will continue to blow draft picks as we continuously change directions.

gruden was pretty terrible drafter, but he had 3 years and the team actually started to look decent as he built out his vision. 

It has more to do with consistency in scheme then drafting imo.

Well, there's a difference between actually stockpiling talent and acting as if we're stockpiling talent. 

Like I said, and certain posters skipped over, it goes beyond just 1 position. 

Take DL- how many 1st/2nds have we blown on them the last few years to no real avail? 

OT can be considered another- we throw pick after pick after pick at OT instead of just going out and signing one. 

We've hyperfocused on CBs at points as well. 

And that was more my point- that we keep focusing in on a position or two and tend to leave the rest of the roster sort of in limbo. 

For years, the argument was that we had no weapons for the QB despite having a solid OL. Look at what we've done over the past few years between FA and the Draft. Tons of resources spent on WRs and RBs and TEs either through the draft or FA. Now we have a glut of decent players and prospects to catch passes- more than a lot of teams frankly- but our OL is a mess and we have no QB. 

Some of course can't read or don't read and feel the need to spout opinions and will only take that as a shot at the Bowers pick. They've already admitted to not actually reading though. Had they, they'd realize I'm talking resource allocation that goes way beyond 1 pick on either side of the ball.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

-

Again downplaying Koonce especially after the show he put on last year vs chargers. Koonce plays and we beat chargers imo. 3rd qtr defense got gassed 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

It would be, that’s why I didn’t say it

just said I thought the D played well week 1 and 2 without him, against better Os then Carolina.

lol that was a great counterpoint to your made up argument tho so cheers!

59 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Well, there's a difference between actually stockpiling talent and acting as if we're stockpiling talent. 

Take DL- how many 1st/2nds have we blown on them the last few years to no real avail? 

OT can be considered another- we throw pick after pick after pick at OT instead of just going out and signing one. 

And that was more my point- that we keep focusing in on a position or two and tend to leave the rest of the roster sort of in limbo. 

For years, the argument was that we had no weapons for the QB despite having a solid OL. Look at what we've done over the past few years between FA and the Draft. Tons of resources spent on WRs and RBs and TEs either through the draft or FA. Now we have a glut of decent players and prospects to catch passes- more than a lot of teams frankly- but our OL is a mess and we have no QB. 

Some of course can't read or don't read and feel the need to spout opinions and will only take that as a shot at the Bowers pick. They've already admitted to not actually reading though. Had they, they'd realize I'm talking resource allocation that goes way beyond 1 pick on either side of the ball.

So DE OT, CB and WR are positions we’ve focused on. I agree with that, but that’s a lot of positions . And pretty important ones.

and when they bust unfortunately you gotta try again, cause they are important positions. Outside of WR which I do agree you can find value later on easier. 

I agree Dt and lb we’ve ignored and calling it in limbo is betond generous. I can’t explain how happy I was with us signing Wilkins. 

The problem again is when your draft picks don’t hit, your needs stay the same if not grow as players age or leave. 

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

Don't be passive aggressive playboy.....

I didn't take anything as a shot at Bowers. All I asked is when have the Raiders ever drafted BPA in the last decade? 

You pointed at DL, OT, CB - how many reaches did they make in those positions?

The issues is poor drafting. Not BPA vs. need. 

19 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

So DE OT, CB and WR are positions we’ve focused on. I agree with that, but that’s a lot of positions . And pretty important ones.

and when they bust unfortunately you gotta try again, cause they are important positions. Outside of WR which I do agree you can find value later on easier. 

I agree Dt and lb we’ve ignored and calling it in limbo is betond generous. I can’t explain how happy I was with us signing Wilkins. 

The problem again is when your draft picks don’t hit, your needs stay the same if not grow as players age or leave. 

It is a lot of positions, but they're isolated in time. It's cyclical. And yeah, the drafting pretty much sucks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Don't be passive aggressive playboy.....

I didn't take anything as a shot at Bowers. All I asked is when have the Raiders ever drafted BPA in the last decade? 

You pointed at DL, OT, CB - how many reaches did they make in those positions?

The issues is poor drafting. Not BPA vs. need. 

I made friendly with Einstein. I don't do passive aggressive booboo. 

Just now, big_palooka said:

Drafted BPA and nailed it. 

Now imagine they did that the last decade. 

You sure do like to lay out a lot of projections as if they're fact. 

Wasn't Mark surefire giving the GM slot to your boy Chump and Getsy was going to run a tin of 2 TE sets and use Bowers all over the place too? 

Sorta like your projections McDaniels had learned and would install the Way, these are just more baseless hopes you cross your fingers your right about.