Justin Jefferson: Jets cleared for takeoff for 5 years (New contract! p.10)

vike daddy

Posted (edited)

One agent who has negotiated top-of-the-market contracts said they think $34 million a year is in the ballpark for Jefferson, who has eclipsed 1,000 yards receiving in all four seasons as a pro (including 2023, when he only played in 10 games). Another agent who has negotiated multiple high-end receiver contracts said they believe $35 million to $36 million a year is in play if Jefferson signs a five-year extension.

One of the agents also mentioned the idea of “cash flow,” which refers to the amount of cash paid throughout the duration of the contract. Hill’s average annual value is $30 million, for example, but his deal is backloaded to raise that overall number, whereas Brown’s average annual value is $32 million, and his deal is mostly consistent throughout.

That agent thinks Jefferson’s contract would have to exceed Brown’s cash flow and provided a guess at what that could look like:

PLAYER YEAR 1 YEAR 2 YEAR 3

A.J. Brown $33M $32M $31M

Justin Jefferson $35M $35M $34M

Guarantees are an entirely different beast and often can be misleading, one of the agents said. Bosa received $88 million fully guaranteed at signing, which was easily the most of any non-quarterback, and one of the agents suggested Jefferson’s figure could hover near $65 million.

https://theathletic.com/5477878/2024/05/08/justin-jefferson-contract-extension-vikings/?source=emp_shared_article

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

Has Jets came out and said anything about JJ? I think I saw he texted him but haven't heard anything since.

Also what are we doing as a forum with the 2 to not confuse them lol? Jets and JJ, JJ9 and JJ18, other? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Has Jets came out and said anything about JJ? I think I saw he texted him but haven't heard anything since.

Also what are we doing as a forum with the 2 to not confuse them lol? Jets and JJ, JJ9 and JJ18, other? 

Jefferson wrote McCarthy right away after he was drafted and said he was called Jets, so there wouldn't be any misunderstanding between the two.

• Like 1

Kevin O'Connell: ”Justin knows the love and admiration that I have for him, and he knows he's such a big part of what we do around here. That's on the field, that's off the field, he brings such a great energy to our building every single day.”

"I know everything's going to get worked out there."

VikingsNation.com

2 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

I think Jets is looking for;

2-yr extension

$34M per year

No trade clause

No tag clause. 

That makes a good deal of sense.  What do you think the Vikings are looking for in their next contract with Jefferson? I would think it would be quite a bit different than that on contract length, especially with a no tag clause.  The Vikings would gain no years of control over Jefferson's contract if they extended him two years and gave him a no tag clause since they already have those two years of control via the tag.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I think a 4 year extension is what the team probably wants. 

I don't have any insider knowledge though just a guess!

If I was guessing, the team wants a 5-year extension.  They'll have to meet in the middle somewhere.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

That makes a good deal of sense.  What do you think the Vikings are looking for in their next contract with Jefferson? I would think it would be quite a bit different than that on contract length, especially with a no tag clause.  The Vikings would gain no years of control over Jefferson's contract if they extended him two years and gave him a no tag clause since they already have those two years of control via the tag.

Yep correct. I just think that’s what’s holding up the deal. Not the money, it’s structure (years and clauses). Vikings wouldn’t get much in this kind of deal other then knowing that Jets is actually showing up for two years (and not holding out) or torpedoing his value with a trade request 

5 hours ago, SodeeWater_Cheezburger said:

I heard from an anonymous source that they are working on some wording in the No-Trade Clause saying that if he were to be traded, it would have to be to the Bears.  Hopefully, the Vikings will get that into the contract for him to keep him happy. 

Keep dreaming😝

• Like 1

A two year deal doesn’t make much sense from either side. 

A two year deal, even fully guaranteed at $34M per year, would lose Jefferson a lot of money. His signing bonus on a long term deal will likely be pushing the totality of that contract. 

• Like 2

Per @TomPelissero

He “anticipates” that star Vikings WR Justin Jefferson WILL be in attendance for mandatory minicamp taking place June 4-6 He also noted that Jefferson is unlikely to attend any voluntary OTA practices.