Justin Jefferson: Jets cleared for takeoff for 5 years (New contract! p.10)

vike daddy

On 5/6/2024 at 10:33 AM, wcblack34 said:

That's so crazy. Outside of the 1986 team, the Bears have been horrendous for 70 years. Talk about getting by on name recognition alone.

The Bears went to another Super Bowl in 2006 with Lovie Smith as our head coach.  We didn't win (thanks Rex!), but hey, we did get there.  We can also fall back on that one Ditka Trophy we got when we won Super Bowl XX.  :)

Jefferson is arguably the best receiver in the league, and Minnesota should certainly extend him. But the cost will tighten money to spend elsewhere, like on last year’s first-round pick, 22-year-old Jordan Addison, when his rookie deal ends. Of course, if the Vikings’ assessment of J.J. McCarthy proves accurate, a quality quarterback on a five-year rookie contract might be just what the doctor ordered. If I were running the Vikings, I would pay Jefferson and keep churning WR2 at the end of Addison’s deal.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5510422/2024/05/22/justin-jefferson-contract-nfl-wide-receivers/

This is something we'll have to consider in 2026 when the Vikings have to decide on Addison's 5th year option...I wonder if they'll pick it up, or despite him still being a good WR, they let him walk after year 4 because the option might be too high for a #2 WR.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, swede700 said:

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5510422/2024/05/22/justin-jefferson-contract-nfl-wide-receivers/

This is something we'll have to consider in 2026 when the Vikings have to decide on Addison's 5th year option...I wonder if they'll pick it up, or despite him still being a good WR, they let him walk after year 4 because the option might be too high for a #2 WR.

He’ll be traded long before they ever let him walk. 

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/lists/trade-packages-from-nearly-every-nfl-team-for-justin-jefferson/?

Because there are universes where the Justin Jefferson extension doesn’t get done, we wanted to explore some [make believe] trades. By exploring some trades, we meant all the trades possible with every team outside of the NFC North. Here are the deals we came up with to either execute or be the base for something broader.

[i selected the ones i thought were good enough to consider. which teams' offers do you like the best?]

Arizona Cardinals
Package: First and third-round picks in the 2025 NFL Draft, first-round pick in the 2026 NFL Draft, and WR Michael Wilson

Buffalo Bills
Package: First and second-round picks in the 2025 NFL Draft, first and third-round picks in the 2026 NFL Draft

Carolina Panthers
Package: First and third-round picks in the 2025 NFL Draft, second and fourth-round picks in the 2026 NFL Draft, and CB Jaycee Horn

Cincinnati Bengals
Package: First, third, and fourth-round picks in the 2025 NFL Draft and WR Tee Higgins

Dallas Cowboys
Package: First and third-round draft picks in the 2025 NFL Draft, first-round pick in the 2026 NFL Draft, CB Jourdan Lewis, and WR Jalen Tolbert

Denver Broncos
Package: First and second-round picks in the 2025 NFL Draft, second-round pick in the 2026 NFL Draft, and CB Patrick Surtain Jr.

Houston Texans
Package: First and third-round picks in the 2025 NFL Draft, third-round pick in the 2026 NFL Draft, CB C.J. Henderson, and guard Kenyon Green

Miami Dolphins
Package: First and fourth-round draft picks in the 2025 NFL Draft, second and fourth-round draft picks in the 2026 NFL Draft, and WR Jaylen Waddle

Pittsburgh Steelers
Package: First and second-round draft picks in the 2025 NFL Draft, third-round pick in the 2026, and DB Minkah Fitzpatrick

Tennessee Titans
Package: First and second-round picks in the 2025 NFL Draft, second and third-round picks in the 2026 NFL Draft, and WR Treylon Burks

Kevin Seifert, ESPN: "This rumor has made the rounds, and it’s admittedly juicy, but the Vikings did not try last month to trade up and draft WR Malik Nabers. Great player, but Vikings have a better one in Justin Jefferson. Still working to extend Jefferson and no interest in trading him."

https://vikingsterritory.com/2024/news/top_news/vikings-reporter-says-not-so-fast-on-recent-rumors?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

14 hours ago, vike daddy said:

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/lists/trade-packages-from-nearly-every-nfl-team-for-justin-jefferson/?

Because there are universes where the Justin Jefferson extension doesn’t get done, we wanted to explore some [make believe] trades. By exploring some trades, we meant all the trades possible with every team outside of the NFC North. Here are the deals we came up with to either execute or be the base for something broader.

[i selected the ones i thought were good enough to consider. which teams' offers do you like the best?]

Arizona Cardinals
Package: First and third-round picks in the 2025 NFL Draft, first-round pick in the 2026 NFL Draft, and WR Michael Wilson

Buffalo Bills
Package: First and second-round picks in the 2025 NFL Draft, first and third-round picks in the 2026 NFL Draft

Carolina Panthers
Package: First and third-round picks in the 2025 NFL Draft, second and fourth-round picks in the 2026 NFL Draft, and CB Jaycee Horn

Cincinnati Bengals
Package: First, third, and fourth-round picks in the 2025 NFL Draft and WR Tee Higgins

Dallas Cowboys
Package: First and third-round draft picks in the 2025 NFL Draft, first-round pick in the 2026 NFL Draft, CB Jourdan Lewis, and WR Jalen Tolbert

Denver Broncos
Package: First and second-round picks in the 2025 NFL Draft, second-round pick in the 2026 NFL Draft, and CB Patrick Surtain Jr.

Houston Texans
Package: First and third-round picks in the 2025 NFL Draft, third-round pick in the 2026 NFL Draft, CB C.J. Henderson, and guard Kenyon Green

Miami Dolphins
Package: First and fourth-round draft picks in the 2025 NFL Draft, second and fourth-round draft picks in the 2026 NFL Draft, and WR Jaylen Waddle

Pittsburgh Steelers
Package: First and second-round draft picks in the 2025 NFL Draft, third-round pick in the 2026, and DB Minkah Fitzpatrick

Tennessee Titans
Package: First and second-round picks in the 2025 NFL Draft, second and third-round picks in the 2026 NFL Draft, and WR Treylon Burks

Either the Bills or Broncos for me. 

Just now, vike daddy said:

yes, i liked those also. other than the Bills will presumably be picking low in each round.

what about the Bengals'?

I thought about that one too, but I really would want at least a 2nd or 3rd in 2026 as well (could even swap out the 4th from 2025), even with getting Tee Higgins. Higgins is a nice receiver, but based on these contracts being doled out, he's not going to be significantly cheaper than Jefferson and not anywhere near the player.  

• Like 1

Is anyone getting slightly worried about the deal not getting done? 

I’ll admit it’s starting creep up a little bit for me but if it’s not done in the dog days of summer then I will be worried.