Will the Ravens ever win the Superbowl with Lamar Jackson?

Slingin' Sammy

11 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

He is improving his passing ability at a rate that far outstrips his slight decline in athleticism.

Randall Cunningham, Michael Vick, and Steve Young all had their best seasons after age 30.

I don't follow your logic, since the closest comps to Lamar all excelled after 30.

What about Cam Newton? You know, a more recent comparison?

8 hours ago, mission27 said:

Yes they 100% can.  They have one of the best coaches and QBs in the league and a young talented roster. 

Mahomes is tough.

But Manning, Brees, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Wilson, Mahomes, etc. won Super Bowls while Brady was running the league.  Nobody wins every year.

Yes, but Rivers, Ryan, McNabb, etc. Also didn't win Super Bowls.

8 hours ago, RabidPanther89 said:

If Flowers wasn’t a loser then they probably win this game. NFL fans are idiots and want to cling to narratives but the fact is Lamar carried that team to the AFC championship and gave his teammates multiple opportunities to keep the Ravens in the game.

And then he got fed up and chucked it into triple coverage?

30 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

What about Cam Newton? You know, a more recent comparison?

If Lamar suffers permanent damage to his throwing shoulder due to injury like Cam, then obviously his prospects are much dimmer.

That's pretty much true for every QB, though.

10 hours ago, DawgX said:

To answer the question. Sure, it's possible. But this was probably the best year that Lamar and the Ravens could have won it and they came up short.

The "best" Raven teams were 2006, 2011, 2019, and 2023, and yet they won the Super Bowl in 2000 and 2012.

Winning the Super Bowl just requires playing well, getting some good matchups, and getting breaks in the playoffs. They don't have to be the best in the league.

I don't think you can. 

Lamar has gotten better as a passer but is still undoubtedly a run first QB. I fundamentally don't think that works because at some point you are probably going to need to put the game on the QBs arm and let it rip. I don't think Jackson will ever be that guy. Then there is the consideration that running like that leads to things like Jackson being unavailable for the playoffs 2021 and 2022. How many shots at it is he going to get?

QB being able to run is a sucker's bet. It looks great on highlights and is exciting, but push comes to shove, all that really matters is what can that QB play from a collapsing pocket with the game on their arm?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, spilltray said:

I don't think you can. 

Lamar has gotten better as a passer but is still undoubtedly a run first QB. I fundamentally don't think that works because at some point you are probably going to need to put the game on the QBs arm and let it rip. I don't think Jackson will ever be that guy. Then there is the consideration that running like that leads to things like Jackson being unavailable for the playoffs 2021 and 2022. How many shots at it is he going to get?

QB being able to run is a sucker's bet. It looks great on highlights and is exciting, but push comes to shove, all that really matters is what can that QB play from a collapsing pocket with the game on their arm?

Lamar was very good under pressure in 2023 although it didn't carry over against the Chiefs.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-lamar-jackson-blitz-improvement-texans-chiefs-playoffs

1 minute ago, spilltray said:

I don't have the numbers but you recognize the difference.

Got it, so Lamar won't succeed because of one trait that you don't think he has, but you cannot provide any evidence that he doesn't have it nor demonstrate that the trait is required to win a Super Bowl.