Super Bowl: San Francisco 49ers vs Kansas City Chiefs

7 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

We only allowed 34 rushing yards in the 2nd half compared to like 150 in the 2nd half

I'll defer to people smarter than me - anyone have a good reason why? 

I'm sure some of that was the game got away from the Lions, some of it was running up the middle instead of the edges. But i'm sure we made some schematic change. It just wasn't as easy for the Lions in the 2nd half as it was in the 1st. 

How many rushes did the Lions have in the 2nd half? 

29 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

How many rushes did the Lions have in the 2nd half? 

Just checked ESPN play by play for the 2nd half. Unless i missed some plays, this is what it comes to...

1st drive:  6, 7 & 5 yard carry by Montgomery, 2 yard carry by ASRB

2nd drive:  -1 yard carry by Gibbs (fumble)

3rd drive:  1 yard carry by Montgomery

4th drive: 16 yard carry by Montgomery, 

5th drive: -2 yard carry by Montgomery

So 8 carries for 34 yards which is a little over 4 YPC, but only 4 positive carries here...2 were losses (1 fumbled), 1 went for 1 yard, 1 went for 2 yards

Overall, Lions had 29 carries for 182 yards which means they had 21/148 in the 1st half which is insane

Edited by 49ersfan
  • Like 1

• Run run run. I know that we are a passing team, but the gameplan needs to be to run in this one. CMC needs to be the MVP (going to need to get touches in the air as well). Spags is going to throw a lot of **** at Brock...you don't really have to get cute here. Let him throw the exotic blitzes and pressures, and just run it down his throat. Sometimes the solution is pretty simple, tbh. 
  • Big Kittle game in the air along with CMC. Chiefs do a great job limiting over the top passing, and their corners are top notch. Space for Deebo and Aiyuk may be limited. Kittle should be a focal point. Get him 8 catches and he'll get you 130 yards and almost certainly break a big one after the catch. 
  • Tackle Tackle Tackle. Mahomes has been perfectly fine the last couple of years just taking what you're going to give him. Teams have put a roof on the him, and he's fine with that. He's perfectly content just to wait. He's going to check it down and throw short again and again and again and then when teams bite short, he'll hit it over the top. Need to tie those up as soon as they happen. He throws a three yard pass, it needs to die at 4 yards. 
  • Can't start slow. Obviously both games this year have been slow for the niners, but Purdy also started out poorly in the first half last year against the Seahawks. Not sure what it's about, but going to need to come out strong as a team. 
  • Hope that KC kicks themselves  a little, especially on the line. The Chiefs have made a lot of mistakes this year as a team. Their offensive line can be prone to mental errors. Holds, shifts. etc.
  • One of the reasons that Chiefs offense has started to run a lot smoother in my opinion is that they've started cutting out the lackluster pieces of their offense and started concentrating on Kelce, Rice and Pacheco. Noah Gray got 5 targets last game, but mostly as a last resort type thing. He lives as a checkdown. MVS got 4 against the Bills and Hardman got 3 against the Dolphins. Again, this offense is being funneled through Kelce / Rice / Pacheco. So on one hand, that's limiting the issues on the offensive side of the ball. Not nearly as many mistakes on the receiving game. On the other hand, this gives the team something to target and try to shut down. This may be a situation where I'm locking one down with Ward. Taking one of those guys out of the gameplan would be huge. 
  • I'd love to see more five man fronts with some exotic looks, even if you're not sending 5 (and we shouldn't send 5 often because Mahomes will cook you). Give me some late count motion on the line...try and confuse the offensive line
  • Like 10

Ben Solak went from being concerned about Brock Purdy in the playoffs to his big takeaway after the Lions game being that the 49ers have a significant defensive problem right now. 

That's like red lights flashing alarms

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Over 100 drop backs in the playoffs for mahomes. 0 ints, 2 sacks 

Shanahan and Purdy gonna have to find a way to score 38 vs the #2 defense in the NFL lead by a defensive coordinator who specializes in shutting down the shanahan system. 

this is the guy who architected the NY Giants Defense that shut down the historic 2007 New England Patriots offense and held them them 17 points. 

Good luck fellas 

Edited by Herodreamer79

4 hours ago, Forge said:
  • Run run run. I know that we are a passing team, but the gameplan needs to be to run in this one. CMC needs to be the MVP (going to need to get touches in the air as well). Spags is going to throw a lot of **** at Brock...you don't really have to get cute here. Let him throw the exotic blitzes and pressures, and just run it down his throat. Sometimes the solution is pretty simple, tbh. 
  • Big Kittle game in the air along with CMC. Chiefs do a great job limiting over the top passing, and their corners are top notch. Space for Deebo and Aiyuk may be limited. Kittle should be a focal point. Get him 8 catches and he'll get you 130 yards and almost certainly break a big one after the catch. 
  • Tackle Tackle Tackle. Mahomes has been perfectly fine the last couple of years just taking what you're going to give him. Teams have put a roof on the him, and he's fine with that. He's perfectly content just to wait. He's going to check it down and throw short again and again and again and then when teams bite short, he'll hit it over the top. Need to tie those up as soon as they happen. He throws a three yard pass, it needs to die at 4 yards. 
  • Can't start slow. Obviously both games this year have been slow for the niners, but Purdy also started out poorly in the first half last year against the Seahawks. Not sure what it's about, but going to need to come out strong as a team. 
  • Hope that KC kicks themselves  a little, especially on the line. The Chiefs have made a lot of mistakes this year as a team. Their offensive line can be prone to mental errors. Holds, shifts. etc.
  • One of the reasons that Chiefs offense has started to run a lot smoother in my opinion is that they've started cutting out the lackluster pieces of their offense and started concentrating on Kelce, Rice and Pacheco. Noah Gray got 5 targets last game, but mostly as a last resort type thing. He lives as a checkdown. MVS got 4 against the Bills and Hardman got 3 against the Dolphins. Again, this offense is being funneled through Kelce / Rice / Pacheco. So on one hand, that's limiting the issues on the offensive side of the ball. Not nearly as many mistakes on the receiving game. On the other hand, this gives the team something to target and try to shut down. This may be a situation where I'm locking one down with Ward. Taking one of those guys out of the gameplan would be huge. 
  • I'd love to see more five man fronts with some exotic looks, even if you're not sending 5 (and we shouldn't send 5 often because Mahomes will cook you). Give me some late count motion on the line...try and confuse the offensive line

Definitely have to run the football. Anything under 20 carries for CMC will not enough.

They also need to do something about Chase Young. He does not contain the edge at all.  Reid will find a way to exploit him like the Lions and Packers did. 

7 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

Just checked ESPN play by play for the 2nd half. Unless i missed some plays, this is what it comes to...

1st drive:  6, 7 & 5 yard carry by Montgomery, 2 yard carry by ASRB

2nd drive:  -1 yard carry by Gibbs (fumble)

3rd drive:  1 yard carry by Montgomery

4th drive: 16 yard carry by Montgomery, 

5th drive: -2 yard carry by Montgomery

So 8 carries for 34 yards which is a little over 4 YPC, but only 4 positive carries here...2 were losses (1 fumbled), 1 went for 1 yard, 1 went for 2 yards

Overall, Lions had 29 carries for 182 yards which means they had 21/148 in the 1st half which is insane

I think it just came down to them to having a fumble and quick 3 and out on their third possession. After that, the next time they touched the ball, they were down 3 in the 4th quarter. And on the 4h possession, they moved it to FG range after two plays. 

So I think the sample size wasn't really large enough to say we shut their running game down. Our ends were able to shed the tackles twice to get a stop at the LOS and Wilks brought the safety up closer in the box on another. The defense was definitely better against the run in the 2nd half but they also were fortunate to have only 7 or 8 rushes by the Lions. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Forge said:

Deebo will need a big game as well and will have his chances. The Chiefs run zone majority of the time and Deebo will have his chances to make plays on crossers and slants. Zay Flowers found some openings in zone coverage and had damn near 100+ yards in the 2nd half alone. It won't be easy of course and the Chiefs corners are very good tacklers, McDuffie in particular. But that's what it is going to take to win this game. Our best offensive players are going to have to special plays on their own and we will need to control the game flow with our run game. We don't have much chance of slowing down Pacheco so if we can always have the Chiefs playing from behind, it will be a big advantage for us. 

We will not have Ward travel with Rice and it does not make much sense to do so. This is a game where you make Mahomes pick up everything underneath and then try to lock it down in the RZ and force the Chiefs to kick FGs. 

I rather have Ward on Kelce on money downs and make Mahomes go elsewhere with the ball. 

• Like 6

So folks keep bringing up the SB match up from four years ago but really we need to focus on the match up from last season. The way Reid was killing our edges in the run game is something he will be going hard in a few weeks. Our zone defense was picked apart quite easily by Mahomes and he was successful on a few deep throws. We had some miscommunication at times that led to receivers running wide open. One of the most embarrassing defensive performances by this defense. And it's not like the weapons Mahomes had last season were anything special on the outside either. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So folks keep bringing up the SB match up from four years ago but really we need to focus on the match up from last season. The way Reid was killing our edges in the run game is something he will be going hard in a few weeks. Our zone defense was picked apart quite easily by Mahomes and he was successful on a few deep throws. We had some miscommunication at times that led to receivers running wide open. One of the most embarrassing defensive performances by this defense. And it's not like the weapons Mahomes had last season were anything special on the outside either. 

Hasn't been a kind matchup whenever we've played 😂

• Like 2