Senior Bowl 2024 Updates

goldfishwars

6 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Man, Guyton's stock is going to go through the roof as the process moves along.  Coaches are just going to be drooling over the idea of working with him.  He's raw with a lot of technical flaws, but a good OLine coach can fix that stuff.  You can't teach those traits and easy natural skills.  You can tell he's playing so much on just natural tools and instinct, and the fact that there's so much good already, hints at huge upside if he can learn to play with a little more control and precision.  The fact he seems to have that passionate streak and enthusiasm is just going to give teams a green light on shooting him up draft boards i bet.

8 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

McConkey shredded DBs in 1v1 drills today. 

Not really surprising.  That ~type~ of receiver always tends to ball out at the Senior Bowl, and in drills especially.  Receivers always have the upper hand to begin with, and guys with his precision and attention to detail will just eviscerate DBs who have no help or real broader context to go on.

I do still think McConkey is gonna be a great receiver for someone, in the right sort of system/role.  But every year, people get way overhyped on one or two of these type of "technicians" or "slot machine" guys based on their ability to clown on disadvantaged DBs in practice drills.  Some of the routes they let these guys run, are practically unstoppable 1-on-1 the way the scenario is set up.

12 hours ago, Jeezla said:
Xavier Legette 6010 223 8 7/8 31 5/8

Taliese Fuaga 6057 332 10 2/8 33 3/8 81 4/8

Not surprising, but kind of confirms Legette really does have a bit of an unusual WR build.  He's a strong, fast dude.  A bit shorter than i expected though.

Seems like good numbers for Fuaga.  Seems like he had a strong day in the drills as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goldfishwars said:

This is a pretty good back-to-back example of what DBs are up against with the format of this thing.

The rep from Roman Wilson is like...the heck are you supposed to do with that as a DB in that situation?  There's no muck, no mess, no help.  Contextually, that's the sort of route you'd maybe see a 6'6" 250lb move TE run over the middle.  Not some little waterbug zoomy zoomer slot guy.  Unless there's a serious clearout/pick concept or something going on, that'd basically just be releasing free right through LBers right down the tracks to Safeties.  And the sort of other play movement clues involved in that would completely change the way the DB can play that.

Not that it doesn't reveal some interesting things about who might be able to hold up better in man coverage in general...but "torching" a DB by taking an inside release and then just making a move to run to daylight, in a 1v1 scenario where the entire other 3/4ths of the field are pure daylight is...not necessarily an indication of what that Receiver is going to be able to do as a Pro either.  I often kind of wonder why they let them run some of these routes from the places on the field that they do.  Especially some of these weird displaced routes that make more sense from different places on the field, and a lot of those little "whip route" type things with no reference for the endzone/sticks.  At the very least, it kills landmarks and almost works against DBs who have more situational instincts and awareness.  Just isolates them to guessing.  Which i guess is kind of the point and tests their reactive athleticism, but it's kinda iffy to me to draw a lot of conclusions from.

Then you have the other example...

McConkey is a serious prospect and will have a serious role somewhere in the NFL with the way he runs routes...but when you match up a likely slot corner on a likely slot receiver and have 'em run a rep that simulates a very typical sort of route...the DB finds a way to hold up a lot better.  Surprise surprise.  There's probably a lot more to be gleaned from that rep than some others.

It's the same for a lot of the 1v1 Line drills.  They're great.  They're useful.  But they often really lack context and it's easy to get really carried with how so and so is "torching" people or "getting torched", when they're often simulating some very unrealistic, isolated scenarios...in a definitively Team Game.  Great for evaluating movement skills, natural strength and redirection skills, level of balance and control, a lot of little details, etc.  But half the time you get these "huge wins" where a guy pancakes a DLineman like 20 feet to the left and deep into his own backfield or whatever, which is of questionable usefulness in the real world.  Tends to flatter those "phonebooth maulers" who can just outwrestle people.  Or those ultra quick all or nothing "win instantly off the snap or lose outright" type penetrator DLinemen.  Useful things to see, but all has to be taken with a grain of salt, that i feel is often kind of ignored in this particular period of draftnik-starved feeding frenzy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, goldfishwars said:

Sounds like Fiske had a big day

I'm super intrigued by Fiske.

He seems to be built a little weird though.  Doesn't help that he's in shorts there, but just in general on film he always looks so stiff and "top heavy" to me.  I don't even know that it actually matters...but i feel like that's something that will end up scrutinized with him.

He's got a motor and a lot of power though.  Showing real quickness/explosiveness can only help him at an event like this.

I'm kind of uncomfortable with how many FSU guys i seem to kinda like in this draft.  I don't like it.

Edited by Tugboat

4 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I'm super intrigued by Fiske.

He seems to be built a little weird though.  Doesn't help that he's in shorts there, but just in general on film he always looks so "top heavy" to me.  I don't even know that it actually matters...but i feel like that's something that will end up scrutinized with him.

He's got a motor and a lot of power though.  Showing real quickness/explosiveness can only help him at an event like this.

I'm kind of uncomfortable with how many FSU guys i seem to kinda like in this draft.  I don't like it.

Shows up well in this metric

16 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I don't know how to do it from mobile. But at least from PC, go to the three dots to the right of the tweet, click embed tweet, and use that link. 

The x.com is the issue. 

It’s a PITA but sub in Twitter for X and you should be good.  May need to make sure you copy/paste to plain text (and not rich text) and embed (instead of posted as link).   

• Like 1