The Commanders Head Coaching Thread - Commanders hire Dan Quinn, Dallas Cowboys DC

1 minute ago, MikeT14 said:

At least with Weaver or Glenn there is the unknown. We saw Quinn. And we saw Quinn here the last four years. I can't buy it. The dude is going to have a big ******* hill to climb with this fanbase. 

Schefty said Weaver had an impressive interview Let’s go! Fans will be more tolerant for him. I’m ready to take a chance 

5 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Okay, fair. 

Trying not to put too fine a point on this, but was he paying any attention at all during the whole time he was in San Francisco?

Kyle Shanahan seems like one of the ultimate examples of scheme over pure leadership traits. He’s a whiny little jackass, but damn can he scheme up an offense.

I’m not saying leadership isn’t important. But it just seems odd to have been in SF all those years and then come into your own job with the mindset that you’re more focused on trying to emulate some program like BAL or PIT or DET.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Well agree to disagree then. Dan Quinn would be a waste of the next 3 years. The dude is a loser retread with Cowboys stink currently on him. I want nothing to do with that guy. I'm not saying we had to have Ben Johnson, I'm just saying we have to not hire Dan Quinn. 

That is like me saying "we have to not draft a QB at 2". It's all well and good to have your preferences, but what is best for the team rarely aligns with our preferences. 

I have no clue who we are going to hire as head coach and that is exhilarating to me. I'm glad we are able to keep things close to the chest and not broadcast our feelings constantly.

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

You say that every day though lol 

It is my preference. I also say that I will support a rookie QB if they go that route. You are flat out shunning a move that doesn't align with your preferences, which is again fine, but I don't share the same feelings. 

I think we are in great hands and for once, I actually trust that the people from the top down have this franchise's best interests at heart. 

For the record, I don’t believe this is how they wanted it to go. It doesn’t really add up.

They wanted Ben Johnson, thought they were going to get Ben Johnson, and then he jilted them late in the game because he’s too scared to cut Dan Campbell’s apron strings. That’s what I think happened. 

If they had settled on Quinn as their guy, they would have hired him already. That’s what the Falcons did with Morris and the Chargers did with Harbaugh — they picked their guy, he was available, they closed the deal, and they canceled the rest of their process. There would have been absolutely no reason to wait, and let the top remaining coordinator choices sign elsewhere, if they were set on Quinn. They could have closed on him a week ago and been moving the process forward. But they didn’t. Because he wasn’t their top choice.

But with all that said, I still think they can win with Quinn. They just are going to have to get more horses on offense than they might have had to with a high-end offensive mind.

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

It is my preference. I also say that I will support a rookie QB if they go that route. You are flat out shunning a move that doesn't align with your preferences, which is again fine, but I don't share the same feelings. 

I think we are in great hands and for once, I actually trust that the people from the top down have this franchise's best interests at heart. 

Its a game and I'm a fan. I can shun anything I want. 

3 minutes ago, e16bball said:

For the record, I don’t believe this is how they wanted it to go. It doesn’t really add up.

They wanted Ben Johnson, thought they were going to get Ben Johnson, and then he jilted them late in the game because he’s too scared to cut Dan Campbell’s apron strings. That’s what I think happened. 

If they had settled on Quinn as their guy, they would have hired him already. That’s what the Falcons did with Morris and the Chargers did with Harbaugh — they picked their guy, he was available, they closed the deal, and they canceled the rest of their process. There would have been absolutely no reason to wait, and let the top remaining coordinator choices sign elsewhere, if they were set on Quinn. They could have closed on him a week ago and been moving the process forward. But they didn’t. Because he wasn’t their top choice.

On the flip side of things, I can absolutely see them not having a preference between ANY of the candidates and letting their interviews and resumes speak for themselves. 

The reason that everyone got second interviews and in-person interviews is because all of them are viewed as viable candidates and they haven't made a decision yet. 

I think they may have had a preference, which may or may not have been Johnson. I think Johnson priced him out of any real candidancy. A 1st time head coach was asking for the same that Jim Harbaugh just got. I believe the person that they hire will be the right person for the job, that I trust. 

Side note: Does anyone remember when the Baltimore Ravens hired a special teams coordinator as their head coach? No interviews elsewhere for HC. Everyone looked at is as baffling, called him a second choice.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I do appreciate and respect @Slappy Mc and @naptownskinsfan holding it together for us. Fight the fight friends. Sit back and watch us eat crow. It'll be good. 

I don't think any of us want to be right and have others be wrong. We are in the same boat, with our hopes and dreams mostly aligned.  We want the same things, another championship banner, a sense of relevancy that doesn't pertain to scandals, and to celebrate a once proud franchise again. 

Just now, Slappy Mc said:

I don't think any of us want to be right and have others be wrong. We are in the same boat, with our hopes and dreams mostly aligned.  We want the same things, another championship banner, a sense of relevancy that doesn't pertain to scandals, and to celebrate a once proud franchise again. 

That might involve you being right and me eating crow about Quinn though. So I want you to be right and me to be wrong. 

Just now, MikeT14 said:

That might involve you being right and me eating crow about Quinn though. So I want you to be right and me to be wrong. 

To be honest, I don't want Quinn as the head coach of this team. I too have my preferences for who I want to be head coach. I have stated many times that the only retread HC I would consider is Vrabel and it seems that personality conflicts excluded him from candicancy. 

If Quinn is the guy, I want him to succeed. If EB, McDonald, Weaver, or Glenn is the guy, I want him to succeed.

I'm not an evaluator of HC potential and the people we got are, so I'm going to trust them. 

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

The league is moving in a young and innovative direction. That is why Rivera and his staff looked so lost this year. That is why team's moved on from Belichick and Carroll. Dan Quinn doesn't embody any of that. 

Yet there are coaches like Tomlin, Harbaugh, and Reid still producing results at high levels. 

I don't disagree that the league is leaving a lot of these coaches in the 20th century, but some can adapt, grow and change with the times. Those that can't fizzle out and get replaced. 

The sad thing is, I was stoked when we hired Ron Rivera. I thought he would bring credibility here. I thought he would bring discipline and culture here. And who knows, if Ron had a different owner and support structure, maybe the results could have been different. 

The one thing I have noticed over these past 5 seasons is that your coordinator choices and position coaches are just as important as the people running the show. 

I think Josh Harris, and his partners, and Adam Peters are smart enough to know what qualities you need in today's NFL. And like most of the things that are happening that are new, we just gotta see how they play out.

5 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

The league is moving in a young and innovative direction. That is why Rivera and his staff looked so lost this year. That is why team's moved on from Belichick and Carroll. Dan Quinn doesn't embody any of that. 

I would agree with this if he didn't have top 5 DVOA finishes in each of his three years as DC in Dallas.  He is clearly keeping up with the young offensive minds in this league (I'm not going to let the outlier of the GB game overcome the total body of work).

That said, I agree with the sentiment we should be looking for a young up-and-coming brilliant mind, and the only one left appears to be Macdonald.

Current order of preference from what appear to be the most likely candidates left:

• #1 Macdonald
    • Young, brilliant schemer, TBD on leadership ability
  • #2 Weaver
    • Young reported as a strong leader, assistant HC in Baltimore
  • #3 Quinn
    • Older, probably the strongest leader of the bunch, players coach, failed HC stint in ATL, top 5 defenses in DAL and SEA
  • #4 Glenn
    • Older, voted #1 favorite players coach, unimpressive defensive rankings

My guess is Seattle closes Macdonald and we go with Quinn.

• Like 1