The Commanders Head Coaching Thread - Commanders hire Dan Quinn, Dallas Cowboys DC

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Okay I won't go on a tangent again, but I would take Jim Harbaugh over Dabo Sweeney. No college coach drives me more nuts than Dabo. I think there was good reason why he wasn't even considered for the Alabama job. 

I think those three have found their calling in college. Ejiro is interesting. Brady is a good example for Ben Johnson to look at. 

You might see Ejiro in these next rounds. Brady too if we really do want the Off HC. 

Three words will explain why Dabo wasn’t considered for Alabama 

Name

Likeness 

And his refusal to believe in it.  And no NFL player is going to buy into what Dabo is selling.  

41 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Frank SMith is a great offensive guy but it might be a year early on him as well.  

Also don’t understand the zero interest in Aaron Glenn.  

I get that you don't think their success as a coordinator matters to whether or not they'll be a good head coach but his defenses have sucked. 

What really blows my mind is the fans who want to give the job to EB. We're most likely drafting a young QB. Do you really think its a good idea to put that QB in the hands of the guy who just got Sam killed for 17 games? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

We actually have the most sought-after front office executive from the past three years.  

No doubt and they clearly targeted him by getting people connected to him like Meyers to make sure it all happened.  It just doesn't seem like they had a plan for after or what if their top HC target didn't take their offer.  

You got to admit, being the last team with no HC isn't a positive.  Two guys decided to stay with their current team.  A third guy decided he liked Seattle better.  Now we are left with tier 2 of our wish list.  Things don't always work out, some circumstances can't be controlled, but that doesn't make the current state of affairs good.  

9 hours ago, offbyone said:

No doubt and they clearly targeted him by getting people connected to him like Meyers to make sure it all happened.  It just doesn't seem like they had a plan for after or what if their top HC target didn't take their offer.  

You got to admit, being the last team with no HC isn't a positive.  Two guys decided to stay with their current team.  A third guy decided he liked Seattle better.  Now we are left with tier 2 of our wish list.  Things don't always work out, some circumstances can't be controlled, but that doesn't make the current state of affairs good.  

I also don’t view it as being a negative necessarily.  When you are dealing with multiple teams having openings, there is always going to be a last team filling their spot.  

And you know what, I’ll be critical of the process here too.  I do agree that they hedged their bets on all of their finalists, and they just happened to be, aside from Quinn, on teams who were in deeper playoff runs.  That is the risk you run if you’re not targeting coaches in an earlier group.  But then again, how much of that can we blame on the focus on getting the head executive hired, as well as the change in NFL rules that prevented in-person interviews until after the divisional games.  

I’m not freaking out over it, in any event.  I haven’t felt this way about the team in a long time, and I think we’re in excellent hands.  

8 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Schefter said Washington can take their time now naming a HC but can they?  What about needing to fill out a staff especially when there’s so many new HC. I guess we can be last at that too. SMH

There will always be coaching movement.  The late moves of Nick Saban and Jim Harbaugh out of college necessitated Washington to be a third team looking for a coach well after most staffs were settled.  Harbaugh’s replacement is stuck looking for new coordinators as well.  

That is why you now have titles like run/pass coordinator and the like.  It’s designed for situations like this where you can offer a “raise” and “title” change, and get the coaches that you want.  

15 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I've said all along they had a plan. I just (where we differ) think their endgame plan didn't work and now they're retooling that plan. 

Plan A -  Ben Johnson
Plan B -  Mike Macdonald
Plan C - uh, we gotta dig a little deeper into these other people we interviewed I guess. 

After reading into what came out yesterday into last night from Schefter, Keim, et al, I am convinced this is what happened. 

We were clearly waiting for a target or two that was still in the playoffs. It appeared to correctly be predicted it was Ben Johnson and Mike Macdonald. 

All of our eggs were in the Ben Johnson basket with Mike Macdonald as our fallback plan. I don't know what happened with Ben yet. Either he didn't like Washington, but it was his only real option left (Chargers was out and Seattle was telling him they were leaning Macdonald), or his demands were truly too high and we wouldn't meet them. It's possible he just wasn't interviewing well. He didn't like our job and we were leverage. We don't know yet. Keim saying we never officially offered anyone doesn't reveal much in the way of where we got to before one of us pulled out. 

The next option was Mike Macdonald. By this point though, Seattle and Macdonald were deep into it. Macdonald may have also clearly preferred Seattle. Their roster (and their defense) is in better shape overall. Facilities are better. We threw our Hail Mary while he was on the plane back to Seattle but it was to no avail.

Now we're the last one at the prom without a date, despite being one of the earliest to go into this. You can sell me all you want that they're taking their time to find the right fit, but in this league, you have to do it quickly too. If we found someone we truly liked after those two, they'd be here by now. There's no reason, if Dan Quinn or Weaver was a great fit for what they wanted, couldn't have been signed yesterday at the latest. The Falcons didn't wait. The Panthers didn't. And on and on. 

Maybe it's Glenn and they needed one more day to digest. Again, I think that could have happened yesterday. This team is 100% regrouping to figure out what to do now. Settle for Quinn or Weaver or Glenn even if it isn't what they were truly looking for or happy with? Possibly. Start over/branch out and look for more options? That'll be a lot of pride to swallow, and will more or less confirm the above, but it could be on the table.

Let's find out. 

• Like 2