The Commanders Head Coaching Thread - Commanders hire Dan Quinn, Dallas Cowboys DC

1 minute ago, RSkinGM said:

Success- won several more than he lost-took teams to the Palyoffs. not sure-I thought about myself before I posted.

where did Shanahan fail and where did he succeed after that failure? Guess I could look it up !

He coached the Raiders before going to Denver. 

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

He coached the Raiders before going to Denver. 

Ahh, didn't recall that. sure didn't get much of a chance there 1 and a part years . Guess that was Al Davis owner. makes sense.

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

They had a base 4-3 in Dallas in Cover 3 and 1. I'd assume it would stay. 

You are right. However it is not the only scheme he uses. On cowboys radio he  mentioned using  alot of man zone, man match, zone match etc. Bascially alot of zone coverages and just like any defensive schemes you will need better players to execute the scheme. If you looked at alot of cowboys games you will note the base  cover 3 is very strong against the run mainly b/c they have more defenders in the box  (loading the box). In the packers game the Boys had only one healthy LB on the roster. They used a safty as the other LB. The packer ran alot 12 man stuff ( 2 TE's) and result was obvious.

So you can see the difference in why the Boys who had tough run defenese all season long but they where weak vs the run during packers game. you also saw it the Bils game. They used the 12 man vs the boys cover 3 variations. 

Chris Russell 

Ben Johnson did not want to to be here. 

Raheem Morris & Mike Macdonald were offered & chose another gig & nobody can blame them.

Dan Quinn WANTED to be here with #Commanders.  I reported that on the final day of the regular season.  This is a job he coveted. 

@team980

1 minute ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Chris Russell 

Raheem Morris & Mike Macdonald were offered & chose another gig & nobody can blame them.

Dan Quinn WANTED to be here with #Commanders.  I reported that on the final day of the regular season.  This is a job he coveted. 

@team980

Not sure I believe that Morris and MacDonald were offered the job. Directly contradicts John Keim's report from this morning about the job not being offered yet.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Chris Russell 

@team980

3 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Not sure I believe that Morris and MacDonald were offered the job. Directly contradicts John Keim's report from this morning about the job not being offered yet.

Doesn't that mean we offered Raheem the job before we even 2nd interviewed Macdonald or after our main target Ben Johnson? Makes no sense tbh. 

Just now, MaddHatter said:

He's the Defensive Passing Game Coordinator and DB coach - been in that role since 2018 with the Packers, Browns, Falcons and Cowboys

thanks, someone 'splained that earlier. I was confused.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Doesn't that mean we offered Raheem the job before we even 2nd interviewed Macdonald or after our main target Ben Johnson? Makes no sense tbh. 

Yea, not really sure where he got his information. As you alluded to, Morris accepted the Falcons job pretty early on so, Morris would have had to been the primary target in this scenario and received an offer before a second interview. 

I'm still of the mind that no one got offered before Dan Quinn.

48 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Interesting note from Michael Phillips on X , used to cover us for the Richmond paper.

He says on a 1-10 opinion on the Quinn hiring .

Wash Fans =2

Media =6

Coaches and football people = 9 

Every team with an opening passed on this guy for 2 years straight. If he was so desired any one of them could have hired him. They didn’t. 

Saw a couple “good” retreads mentioned already, in Belichick and Shanahan, who found some redemption after an early failure. Here are a few more I was able to think of or dig up.

Pete Carroll got canned by the Jets after one 6-10 season (1994) and then also got canned by the Pats after a more successful three-season tenure there (1997-1999). Notably sandwiched in between Parcells and Belichick in NE. Won the SB in Seattle.

Gary Kubiak got fired in the middle of a 2-11 season with the Texans. He had a 61-64 record with HOU. Came back to win the SB a few years later with the Peyton Manning Broncos team.

Dan Campbell coached most of the 2015 season as an interim HC with Miami but was let go after a 5-7 run. He got his next shot 6 years later in DET.

John Fox had a tenure with the Panthers that is somewhat reminiscent of Quinn’s in ATL (and Rivera’s in CAR, for that matter). A couple really good seasons, a run to the Super Bowl, fell apart badly at the end. Was 73-71 overall there. He came back to have an awesome run with DEN (46-18, trip to the SB), before getting canned for Kubiak, ironically enough.

Dave Wannstedt was very uninspiring in CHI for 6 seasons (40-56) before getting fired. He came back a couple seasons later and had a really excellent run — that I genuinely don’t even remember — with the Dolphins, where he went 41-23 over his first 4 seasons. Especially impressive because Marino had just retired.

Tony Dungy wasn’t really bad in Tampa Bay (54-42), but he absolutely had the label of “can’t get over the top” — especially when Jon Gruden won the SB the next year with his team. He did get over the top in Indy (85-27, with a ring to show for it).

Tom Coughlin also wasn’t a failure in Jacksonville, as going 68-60 with a team that started from an expansion draft was a pretty decent accomplishment. But he did get fired after 3 consecutive losing seasons, only to return in the Big Apple and win 2 SBs with NYG.

Norv Turner — I know, I know — failed gently with us (49-59-1) and more brutally with the Raiders (9-23). The Chargers still chose him to replace Marty Schottenheimer (another retread coach!) and he went 56-40 with them, taking them to the doorstep of the SB in his first season. I don’t know if that’s a rousing success given the talent they had, but…there it is.

Going back a bit further, Dan Reeves was great with the Elway Broncos, though Original Shanahan was the one who finally got them over the top. But he then went to NYG and kinda stunk (31-33), before going to Atlanta and taking that Dirty Birds team to the SB.

Marv Levy, best known for coaching the William and Mary Tribe from 1964-1968 (and thus part of the vaunted coaching tradition that includes Mike Tomlin, Sean McDermott, and Joe Brady), was really bad with the Chiefs in his first NFL stint (31-42). He came back to take the Bills to 4 Super Bowls and a 112-70 overall record.

• Like 4