The Commanders Head Coaching Thread - Commanders hire Dan Quinn, Dallas Cowboys DC

14 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Every team with an opening passed on this guy for 2 years straight. If he was so desired any one of them could have hired him. They didn’t. 

In fairness, he was a fairly hot commodity last year and took himself out of consideration in the middle of the process to stay with Dallas (not unlike our dear friend Mr. Johnson). 

Don’t know if he would have landed any of those jobs, but he was definitely in the mix for a lot of them.

2 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Chris Russell 

Ben Johnson did not want to to be here. 

Raheem Morris & Mike Macdonald were offered & chose another gig & nobody can blame them.

Dan Quinn WANTED to be here with #Commanders.  I reported that on the final day of the regular season.  This is a job he coveted. 

@team980

brutal, passed over by 3 coaches. 

• Like 1

Grant Paulsen 

The Commanders continue to gut the Cowboys' beloved defensive staff. 

Cowboys secondary and defensive passing game coordinator Joe Whitt Jr. is reportedly being named the Commanders' defensive coordinator under Dan Quinn, via @AaronWilson_NFL.

• Like 1

Grant Paulsen 

Cowboys secondary and defensive passing game coordinator Joe Whitt Jr. is reportedly being named the Commanders' defensive coordinator under Dan Quinn, via @AaronWilson_NFL.

3 minutes ago, mar29020 said:

i've never been this mad at a coaching hire. However, all that really matter is how does the QB pan out that we draft. If he is a bust then quinn will get fired in 3 years. 

I’m not , at this point we gotta wait and see how this turns out . Maybe he will surprise us we just fans man we don’t know what will happen.

1 minute ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Grant Paulsen 

Good move

13 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Grant Paulsen 

He was the in-house favorite to replace DQ. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Grant Paulsen 

“Beloved” is a stretch

In trying to get a sense of how Quinn may try to re-work our defense, I was just perusing the Dallas snap counts from last year. 

Biggest takeaway is something I saw referenced a few pages ago, but I can’t remember by whom. They played a ton of DBs. They had SEVEN different DBs play more than 60% of the snaps on the season, and that doesn’t include Trevon Diggs, who played almost all the snaps in their first two games (before going out hurt). 

That number includes 3 CBs: Stephon Gilmore at 93.6%, DaRon Bland at 90.3%, and Jourdan Lewis at 68.4%. Essentially, they had their top 2 CBs on the field for every snap — that was Gilmore/Diggs until the latter got hurt, then it was Gilmore/Bland. Then their CB3 (Lewis for almost all of the year) typically played something like 80% of the snaps.

Stylistically, Gilmore is more of a pure cover guy and savvy veteran while Bland and Diggs are both elite playmakers. You can probably squint and see how Kendall Fuller and Emmanuel Forbes would sort of match the formula for that duo. Lewis is a quintessential nickel, not a great athlete but very heady and opportunistic and tough. He seems to make a lot of plays. I’m not sure we have that guy.

They seem to have traditionally played a lot of man coverage, as most metrics have had them top 10 in the league in man cover snaps each of his 3 years in Dallas. But there is a lot of ink out there devoted to the way they evolved — from a very man-heavy, single high safety approach in 2021 to working in a lot more quarters in 2022 to maybe back to the more man heavy Cover 1/3 principles from the LOB days. I think that’s a very good sign, in terms of willingness to try to fit scheme to personnel and be versatile.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Fuller was one of my top resign priorities. Might be a requirement. 

I think all of our DBs will benefit from a different scheme over the mandatory 10-yard cushion bend-and-break defense of JDR and RR.

That being said, if the price is right, I would support resigning him. 

I was going to suggest Jaylon Johnson CB from the Bears but it would require too much bag. CB is a big need for us. K. Fuller is the only CB we can pretty much rely on. 
BSJ maybe move him to SS and hopefully they help out Forbes with some better coaching. 

3 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I was going to suggest Jaylon Johnson CB from the Bears but it would require too much bag. CB is a big need for us. K. Fuller is the only CB we can pretty much rely on. 
BSJ maybe move him to SS and hopefully they help out Forbes with some better coaching. 

I'm not sure he is outside our price range. We have to imagine we can make one big signing and several smaller ones and even be able to resign anyone they want to.