2024 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Tracker

MaddHatter

51 minutes ago, MaddHatter said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/burnt-out-demarcus-lawrence-reveals-reasons-dallas-cowboys-wild-card-round-playoff-loss

“All honestly, I think the main thing is we was burnt out,” Lawrence said. “Long season, team is dominantly healthy throughout the season, the legs get tired.”

Pathetic of an excuse. That’s all this is. I mean you have 13 other teams in the playoffs, do you see them making an excuse that they were tired??? 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, textaz03 said:

Pathetic of an excuse. That’s all this is. I mean you have 13 other teams in the playoffs, do you see them making an excuse that they were tired??? 

Agreed - lost a lot of respect for DLaw for that response

1 hour ago, MaddHatter said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/burnt-out-demarcus-lawrence-reveals-reasons-dallas-cowboys-wild-card-round-playoff-loss

“All honestly, I think the main thing is we was burnt out,” Lawrence said. “Long season, team is dominantly healthy throughout the season, the legs get tired.”

Good lord. What a chump. Never thought I’d say that about one of our “leaders”. Wonder what he fetch via trade? Get that 4th we traded for Lance back maybe?  Never happen, but here’s to hoping.

Edited by WizardHawk

https://x.com/tompelissero/status/1756035265553113386?s=46&t=ktd6JTByZwOAf6VhdnN4wg

The #Seahawks plan to hire Aden Durde as their defensive coordinator, per source. 

Born in England, Durde played in NFL Europe and the NFL before embarking on a coaching career. Now, at age 44, he takes a big role on Mike Macdonald’s staff in Seattle.

Add another position coach we need to fill

7 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Good lord. What a chump. Never thought I’d say that about one of our “leaders”. Wonder what he fetch via trade? Get that 4th we traded for Lance back maybe?  Never happen, but here’s to hoping.

Ehhh I feel you in this, I do...howeverrrr....

There's a reason teams fight hard for that top seed. That week off is tremendous. In College, I wasn't a full-time starter but even after a string of 5 games in my junior seaskn where I saw a lot of playtime, by that 6th game my legs felt like rubber halfway through the second quarter. After playing every week for a while, you get exhausted faster and faster during each subsequent game. Even if you go into the game feeling great and not having even an inkling of soreness or being burned out. It's the accumulation, it makes your muscles and joints feel burned out a little sooner into each game than the previous game. It's a very physically demanding sport. I can only imagine doing it on a pro level, on the other side of 30 too no less.

That said, Lawrence is a pro. Even if he felt that way. He should not have said it. And if he did feel that way. He should have spoke up to his coaches before the game so they could have given him more rest during practice. More fluids before the game and at half time. And rotated him more during the game.

Although I just don't feel this was as big of a factor as he kind of made it sound. The coaches were outfoxed from the first snap. McCarthy game planned a script similar to Moore's style. Quinn gameplanned for a cover 3/cover 4 defense that he hadn't truly run in a season and a half, close to two seasons. Both abandoned what had worked all season in an effort to outwit Green Bays staff and catch their players unprepared... The problem was, the reason both of those game plans were abandoned in Dallas, was because the team just was not very good at either of those approaches. And it showed.

I firmly believe if they went into that game doing what has gotten them to that game, that they would have won that game. No way Green Bay scores as much as they did in the first quarter if Dallas runs the defense that got them there. And Id like to believe Lamb, Ferguson and Dak combine for at least one more score in that first half also, if they went into that game running the efficient, high percentage route trees that made Dak an MVP candidate, Ferguson the single most underrated TE in the league, and Lamb officially signing on the bottom line of his top 5 receiver certification.

Sometimes trying to outsmart the opponent just outsmarts yourself. And I really do think that is what played a bigger part than how tired anyone was.

On 2/9/2024 at 1:38 PM, WizardHawk said:

This is just testament to how soft this team is. And not just physically but mentally as well. That is a direct reflection of the FO.

Want proof??? Did you ever see "A Football Life" with Jimmy Johnson?

He does an masterclass at The University of Miami. During that class he explains the importance and benefits of being in top condition. He said the part of the game he enjoyed the most was late in a game or season when the other team is sucking wind and tired. That's when he poured it on. He said that when you're tired like that, it turns you into a coward. You have no stomach to compete anymore. You just want to get out of there.

Well, according to Lawrence, this is exactly what happened to this team. Up to and including Parsons. I've seen him many times late in games looking whooped. And statistically at the end of the season he disappears.

Remember the days of Dallas being in a 1 score game in the 4th quarter? They would saddle up the Oline and just demoralize the oppisition with the running game.

These players today, they're soft in every way. They make wayyy to much money and are only interested in their status in the league compared to other players. They don't give a shiat about a plastic trophy.

Ike Reese, former Iggle and Cardinal went on a rant about this on Friday on 94 WYSP.

He actually said "What do you think most players care about more, the 20 million dollar contract or a plastic trophy? Duh!"

And he's right. This league is every kid that every "came from nothings" way out. It's their Golden Ticket. It's about the bling, the endorsements, the game, the elitisim, and not about working as team, sacrificing of yourself to show that together you're the best.

Who cares about that when you're earning 900,000.00 league minimum.

• Like 1

Stephon Gilmore suggests he wants to come back to Dallas rather than hit Free Agency.  Will see what Stephen and Jerry decide to do, but a healthy Diggs/Bland/Gilmore trio would be nice.  

"For sure, I want to be back," Gilmore told The Fan. "I for sure think we have the pieces to get to where we want to be, and I want to be a part of that. March is when free agency starts, so hopefully we can get something done. I want to run it back with B. Cooks and all of these guys, have the opportunity to play with Bland another year and Trevon coming back off the ACL."

32 minutes ago, textaz03 said:

And, the Giants now have denied the Cowboys’ request for permission to meet with their defensive line coach Andre Patterson, who was the defensive line coach and co-defensive coordinator in Minnesota under Mike Zimmer.

https://x.com/adamschefter/status/1757536467620974639?s=46&t=ktd6JTByZwOAf6VhdnN4wg

Called that name in my other post

Per DMN:

"New Cowboys defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer has tabbed a longtime assistant to a senior role dedicated to addressing his defense’s greatest liability.

At Zimmer’s ardent recommendation, the Cowboys hired Paul Guenther on Friday to operate as their run game coordinator, a person familiar with the decision said. Guenther represents an important addition to the staff as a highly experienced coach in whom Zimmer has immense history and trust.

Guenther and Zimmer worked together in Cincinnati from 2008-2013 and again in Minnesota in 2021. Guenther served as a defensive coordinator for the Cincinnati Bengals from 2014-2017 and the Raiders from 2018 to 2020.

Zimmer envisioned having Guenther with him in Dallas before agreeing to terms Monday.

The two are officially reunited, again.

This is the first time the Cowboys have designated a run game coordinator in Mike McCarthy’s tenure. It speaks to the area’s importance after the Green Bay Packers ran at will against their undersized front in a Jan 14 first-round playoff loss. Running back Aaron Jones logged 21 carries for 118 yards and three touchdowns.

Coaching is one piece of fixing the problem.

Personnel is next, as the team targets more size and physicality, including at linebacker. Some measure of reinforcement there figures to come when free agency opens in March.

Dallas also added Jeff Zgonina as its new defensive line coach. He handled the same role for the Washington Commanders the past two seasons. Zgonina replaces Aden Durde, who became the Seattle Seahawks’ defensive coordinator last week."