2024 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Tracker

MaddHatter

Even if I actually liked our choice for DC (which I don’t), there’s no reason for anyone to get their hopes up that it’ll result in anything different than the last 28 years. As long as the Clampett’s are running things, coaching changes are nothing more than just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

2 hours ago, textaz03 said:

So rumors are, 2024 Salary Cap is expected to be in the 243-245 mil range. That’s 20 mil more than 2023. We should find out next week what the CAP will be. 

Now rumors are up to 250m

https://x.com/bloggingtheboys/status/1759693550416249317?s=46&t=h2vrlGOGKJYnao7KjiHZ3A

Edited by MaddHatter

20 minutes ago, textaz03 said:

That’s crazy!!! They definitely gonna give Dak that contract at those numbers

That’s inevitable. I just hope he’s smart enough about it to realize he can do his team a lot of good by taking a more reasonable contract and open himself up to even more endorsements. He’s already raking in $45-50m/yr. The SB winning, Cowboys QB is only going to add to it. 

Here’s to dreaming though 🍻

13 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

That’s inevitable. I just hope he’s smart enough about it to realize he can do his team a lot of good by taking a more reasonable contract and open himself up to even more endorsements. He’s already raking in $45-50m/yr. The SB winning, Cowboys QB is only going to add to it. 

Here’s to dreaming though 🍻

The front office can pay Dak what he's asking for and still have the funds to add people. They just need to be smart about who they hand out money to (i.e. no big contracts to RBs)

53 minutes ago, D82 said:

The front office can pay Dak what he's asking for and still have the funds to add people. They just need to be smart about who they hand out money to (i.e. no big contracts to RBs)

Dak currently sits as a 60m hit to the cap this year with expected $250m total cap.  If we extend him, it likely drops to 25-40m cap hit in 2024 because a huge chunk will get converted to signing bonus and spread out over the entirety of the contract. I’ve come to learn the Cowboys never are in cap hell and have some true geniuses working the books.  They are far more likely to use the cap as an excuse NOT to sign someone then to actually be unable to sign someone

Reposted: The Cowboys have hired former Boston College offensive coordinator Steve Shimko as an offensive assistant. He spent the last four years at BC and worked with Cowboys OC Brian Schottenheimer in Seattle. He replaces Will Harriger, who left for the Carolina Panthers.

https://x.com/toddarcher/status/1760437541843448260?s=46&t=ktd6JTByZwOAf6VhdnN4wg

• Like 1

On 2/20/2024 at 8:21 AM, MaddHatter said:

Dak currently sits as a 60m hit to the cap this year with expected $250m total cap.  If we extend him, it likely drops to 25-40m cap hit in 2024 because a huge chunk will get converted to signing bonus and spread out over the entirety of the contract. I’ve come to learn the Cowboys never are in cap hell and have some true geniuses working the books.  They are far more likely to use the cap as an excuse NOT to sign someone then to actually be unable to sign someone

100% correct. The cap is a myth if people understand how to use it properly. That said, the "brain trust" convinces themselves that they don't need to make additions in free agency because of the foolish "we like our guys" mindset, which stymies progress. They then dole out these albatross deals to undeserving people and then hide behind the "we can't afford anyone, anyway" excuse afterward.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Salary cap news:

The NFL announced that the 2024 Salary Cap will be $255.4M per club, with an additional $74M per club payment for player benefits, which includes Performance Based Pay and benefits for retired players. Total 2024 player costs will be $329.4M per club, or more than $10.5B league-wide.

The unprecedented $30M increase per club in this year’s Salary Cap is the result of the full repayment of all amounts advanced by the clubs and deferred by the players during the Covid pandemic as well as an extraordinary increase in media revenue for the 2024 season.

https://x.com/rapsheet/status/1761085725888626975?s=46&t=ktd6JTByZwOAf6VhdnN4wg

holy ish!!!!

9 hours ago, textaz03 said:

Salary cap news:

The NFL announced that the 2024 Salary Cap will be $255.4M per club, with an additional $74M per club payment for player benefits, which includes Performance Based Pay and benefits for retired players. Total 2024 player costs will be $329.4M per club, or more than $10.5B league-wide.

The unprecedented $30M increase per club in this year’s Salary Cap is the result of the full repayment of all amounts advanced by the clubs and deferred by the players during the Covid pandemic as well as an extraordinary increase in media revenue for the 2024 season.

holy ish!!!!

We'll still F it up.

Okay, I've been reading some ish about Jimmy Johnson is now on some advisory board with the Dallas Cowboys?

Is this true?

If so,how in the hell is this going to work???

Jerry and Stephen Jones

Will McClay

Mike McCarthy

Jimmy Johnson

Just look at the draft. Can you imagine being in that war room?

Then you throw in Zimmer and all of the assistant coaches that have been hired.

I guess what I'm worried about is this coaching staff appears to be a "patch-work" unit rather than a coaching staff that was built by a confident leader that hand picks his assistants because he knows they are the best personnel for the job.

On 2/23/2024 at 1:14 PM, textaz03 said:

Salary cap news:

holy ish!!!!

Well then… its almost like Jerry and Stephen knew this was coming 

1 hour ago, MaddHatter said:

Well then… its almost like Jerry and Stephen knew this was coming 

It's only going to continue to go up. There's zero reason they shouldn't be aggressive with free agency and other contracts, they have nothing to lose - after all, who is going to fire them?

23 minutes ago, D82 said:

It's only going to continue to go up. There's zero reason they shouldn't be aggressive with free agency and other contracts, they have nothing to lose - after all, who is going to fire them?

So Dak at $60m (likely down to $30-40m Y1 on new deal) is now 18% of our cap.