Random Thoughts - Offseason 2024

dll2000

15 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I remember the wind that day was insane. Gould had some kicks that looked like they were going sideways and came true. 

But that loser could never get an onside kick, remember? 

/s

• Like 1

Put me in charge with some decent funding and this will NEVER happen again.

Teams will forfeit rather than step on field with us.  There will need to be rule changes like for Wilt Chamberlin. 

8 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Let me make a squad from early 90s Joliet Catholic (Mike Alstott) and Mt. Carmel (Donovan McNabb) teams and we win this game.

Half of me wonders if this is an attempt to manufacture "patriotic rage."

You know, have people stew on other countries beating the US in football, then they get to market their own Redeem Team.

7 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Half of me wonders if this is an attempt to manufacture "patriotic rage."

You know, have people stew on other countries beating the US in football, then they get to market their own Redeem Team.

But my question is, who is on this team? Its U20s, so anyone worth their salt is on one of the 134 Division 1 Teams, Plus Id imagine that a bunch of the talent in Div2 is still way better than these guys.

I dont know anyone who cares about this headline other than the lame internet content creators who are trying to get a reaction/clicks

👀 Not sure how many GMs are going to be lining up to do Hard Knocks offseason after this.   But, they have final say on what gets aired soooo...  maybe this was best they had.

The vast majority of the 2024 draft class has signed. The biggest cluster of unsigned picks falls in round one. Five players aren’t signed, they come from three teams.

Bears quarterback Caleb Williams (No. 1) and receiver Rome Odunze (No. 9) are not yet under contract. Ditto for Vikings quarterback J.J. McCarthy (No. 10) and edge rusher Dallas Turner (No. 17). Also unsigned is Bengals tackle Amarius Mims, the 18th pick in the draft.

All five will have fully-guaranteed four-year deals, with the dollar value slotted based on selection number. While the 2011 CBA dramatically limited the number of topics for haggling, there are still three main categories.

• 1. Signing bonus cash flow: How much of the signing bonus is paid up front? How much is deferred, and for how long? Players want the money ASAFP. Teams might try to push some of it out, by a year or longer.
  • 2. Voiding of guarantees: What will it take to let a team wipe out the remaining guarantees? There have been issues in the past about suspensions for certain on-field infractions opening the door to erasing the guaranteed money. Players want to limit the team’s ability to un-guarantee the guaranteed cash. Teams prefer the flexibility to get out from under a bad deal.
  • 3. Guarantee offsets: If the player is released with guaranteed money left, will earnings elsewhere reduce the money owed? The player prefers to double dip. The team wants to get credit for salary from a new NFL franchise.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/five-first-round-picks-remain-unsigned-including-caleb-williams

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

👀 Not sure how many GMs are going to be lining up to do Hard Knocks offseason after this.   But, they have final say on what gets aired soooo...  maybe this was best they had.

Lol. The "$12 mil back" wouldn't be an issue,  passing a bum like Jones $40 mil pet year is the issue. If rather roll with Bagent and Saquon with a beefed up OL than pay him that and potentially be short on cash for the OL.

• Like 1

Happy Independence Day to all!  

Started my day working as my work's biggest event is in a week, so was out at like 430AM in the field.  My Independence Day miracle was leaving my truck's rear window wide open for like 3 hours with a bunch of tools visible, and them still being there when I got back. Dumb but lucky!

Going to hang out on our block tonight we're having smoked ribs, cheesy potatoes,  kupus salat (serbian vinegar coleslaw), dipped sweet corn (but not from our farm yet),  some kind of pork belly cracklins and then a grilled cookie dessert (I think). Got some nice white wines and plenty of beer to wash it down. Don't need fireworks because Chicago is one big firework this week so there's a constant background explosion going on. 

• Like 3

On 7/4/2024 at 2:52 PM, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Happy Independence Day to all!  

Started my day working as my work's biggest event is in a week, so was out at like 430AM in the field.  My Independence Day miracle was leaving my truck's rear window wide open for like 3 hours with a bunch of tools visible, and them still being there when I got back. Dumb but lucky!

Going to hang out on our block tonight we're having smoked ribs, cheesy potatoes,  kupus salat (serbian vinegar coleslaw), dipped sweet corn (but not from our farm yet),  some kind of pork belly cracklins and then a grilled cookie dessert (I think). Got some nice white wines and plenty of beer to wash it down. Don't need fireworks because Chicago is one big firework this week so there's a constant background explosion going on. 

I made two styles of pork steaks, a corn casserole, slaw, pasta salad and a smore dessert. Brother made a handful of things too.

I love leftovers. ❤️

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I made two styles of pork steaks, a corn casserole, slaw, pasta salad and a smore dessert. Brother made a handful of things too.

I love leftovers. ❤️

4th might be replacing Thanksgiving as my tastiest holiday.   My neighbor made 2 styles of smoked ribs that were absolutely out of this world, along with these little pork belly bites.  Somehow we had beers, white wine, red wine, some kind of apertif, smoked old fashioneds and who knows what else. 

Woke up a little foggy so blew off work for the day to tag along with the rest of the family for their "field trip".  Kids actually like school so my wife keeps it going a bit during summer, where they read some books abotu a Chicago subject, watch a doc or two, and then go on a field trip about it. Today was "the great Chicago Fire" so we started up in Lincoln Park (where it stopped after 36hrs) and visited the water tower (which stopped pumping water when the ceiling fell on the pumps) and then to the place it started by the O'Leary barn (now the Chicago Fire Academy)  and then we took the kids to Chinatown. I always forget how fun that is.  Ate some amazing BBQ and noodles, then walked through shops and things.  Every shop there has like 50 cheap Katana's for sale. Finished with rolled ice cream which is super cool to watch get made.  Pretty sure they're all passed out on the couch as I'm back at work but pretty sweet 4th for me.  

We have an epic amount of leftovers that are somehow calling my name even after a huge lunch.  If you see all the light in the sky disappear and a sucking sound, that's just my increased gravity causing the universe to collapse in on itself.  Cheers all!

• Like 3

I went hiking at Devils Lake on 4th with my wife and daughter.  Not really a hiker.  Had no idea what to expect. 

I basically walked/climbed over rocks up the steep side of a small mountain in crazy humidity.  By time I got to top I was caked in sweat.   Other people didn’t look so bad.  Not sure why I looked like I was boxing a 12 round fight in a sauna, but I did.  Didn’t make for best pictures of me.  Wife and daughter looked good though.

Then we took an easier route down.  But it went through woods and I got briefly lost.  LOL.  It’s okay though because many of trails are marked so you can backtrack until you find a sign or a more obvious path. 

Then a big storm rolled in while we were out there.   We were in the middle of it about 2 miles from car.   We got to bottom and were in the open following some railroad tracks that led back to main area where our car was.   My wife wanted to wait it out under a tree or go back track and find a shelter.  But that was in wrong direction about half a mile.  And there was no visible break in clouds.  We had no cell reception where we were.  Waiting it out could be a few hours.

I was like let’s just press through and kept walking.  We couldn’t really just sit under a tree in an electrical storm.   She was soooo mad at me.  Her ears were hurting from wind.  But we were all drenched wet and sweaty with no change of clothes and starving (or I was) and it was getting late and we were 3 hours from home.   The car wasn’t that far.   I would have ran ahead and got it and picked her up, but we were no where near a road.   Sometimes the only way out is through, you know?  Especially when you are in the middle.

I say all that, but I really had a lot of fun.  It was beautiful and an adventure.  

There was a moment when we were walking in storm by tracks when this older Asian guy passed me going other direction.  He was holding this pack of cigarettes in his hand.  Wind was blowing like 30 mph and it was sheeting rain.  I stopped him and asked him if I could bum a cigarette.  He looked at me like I was insane and actually started to get one out.  LOL.  I said, I am kidding! Kidding!  Then he shook his head at kept walking.   I thought it was funny. 

• Like 3

Today I got hired in the face by an unsecured mixing bowl full of attachments when I went to get the stand mixer down from the tip of my kitchen cabinets. After silently cussing a storm up I realized I'm the only one who can reach it qithout a chair, so one of the kids probably couldn't twist it on withlut getting on the counter.

So one trip to Home Depot, $220ish dollars, and about 5 hours of labor I have a new walk in pantry. No mud on yet so it's not done but it up and ready to be used. Cat already tried to claim it. 🙄

• Like 3