Lamar Jackson MVP

goldfishwars

Definitely a weaker year for MVP but someone had to win it and Lamar was nails down the stretch of the regular season against a pretty legit schedule. Ravens were the first team in history to beat 10+ teams over .500 in a season and most of those games were blowout wins. In a year where no one clearly dominated the league that’s going to get it done.

The playoff run was what it was. An amazing game against HOU and a bad game against KC. The playoff skepticism will return next year and it’s on him to try and put them away.

Outside of the MVP and AFCCG loss i’m  personally just pleased that Lamar got back to playing really good ball this year after his 2nd half of 2021 and 2022 slump. I had concerns after an amazing 2019 and really good and underrated 2020 that his 2021 and 2022 were the “new” Lamar and this season reassured me that he’s a top QB in the league and the Ravens will continue to be very relevant with him under center. After the offseason drama last year with the contract following 2 subpar years I wasn’t feeling a huge long term contract ala Watson. He signed for less than Watson and won a 2nd MVP and we hosted the AFCCG. I feel good about him going into next season and if he stays healthy we will be revisiting the playoff narratives about a year from now for better or worse.

5 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

So you would have rather him won MVP without a SB than the other way around?

I'd rather the Ravens win a Super Bowl than Lamar Jackson win MVP yes. But that's not about an individual player's success. I've seen a SB twice for the Ravens. Nothing will ever top the 2012 SB win for me, personally as a fan, based on the level of investment/mentality I had as a fan.

For what Lamar needs to do next, we are just chasing moving goal posts with people who were wrong.

I mean... I never thought that Lamar Jackson was going to be the greatest QB/player/human/life form of all time... at some point when you move the goal posts far enough, I am going to be on the wrong side with you all. 

Edited by wackywabbit

36 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

8fbniz.jpg

I don't like your argument, but I like your presentation haha.

3 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

That’s fine but this is a team sport. I’ll take a sb win over a MVP any day of the week. 

Better career - Jimmy G or Marino?

Swap Trent Dilfer if you hate me playing dirty pool by including a backup.

1 minute ago, wackywabbit said:

I'd rather the Ravens win a Super Bowl than Lamar Jackson win MVP yes. But that's not about an individual player's success. I've seen a SB twice for the Ravens. Nothing will ever top the 2012 SB win for me, personally as a fan, based on the level of investment/mentality I had as a fan.

For what Lamar needs to do next, we are just chasing moving goal posts with people who were wrong.

He has had a great year, two good years and 2 less than good years (him, not the team).

11 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Definitely a weaker year for MVP but someone had to win it and Lamar was nails down the stretch of the regular season against a pretty legit schedule. Ravens were the first team in history to beat 10+ teams over .500 in a season and most of those games were blowout wins. In a year where no one clearly dominated the league that’s going to get it done.

The playoff run was what it was. An amazing game against HOU and a bad game against KC. The playoff skepticism will return next year and it’s on him to try and put them away.

Outside of the MVP and AFCCG loss i’m  personally just pleased that Lamar got back to playing really good ball this year after his 2nd half of 2021 and 2022 slump. I had concerns after an amazing 2019 and really good and underrated 2020 that his 2021 and 2022 were the “new” Lamar and this season reassured me that he’s a top QB in the league and the Ravens will continue to be very relevant with him under center. After the offseason drama last year with the contract following 2 subpar years I wasn’t feeling a huge long term contract ala Watson. He signed for less than Watson and won a 2nd MVP and we hosted the AFCCG. I feel good about him going into next season and if he stays healthy we will be revisiting the playoff narratives about a year from now for better or worse.

If I was to vote, I would have voted Dak. Because I'm a stats guy and willfully oblivious to context.

But with that being said - We are pretending this was more of a discussion than it really was and 49 1st place votes proves that imo.

Like, I think I'm a great driver. But 20+ tickets before I hit 17 years old probably proves otherwise. Sometimes we just have to accept evidence imo.

Edited by Soggust

1 minute ago, Thomas5737 said:

He has had a great year, two good years and 2 less than good years (him, not the team).

Buddy... no... it's ok.

This is like being on a music forum being like Taylor Swift is not that good at the singing. You don't have to do this:

10 minutes ago, Soggust said:

I don't like your argument, but I like your presentation haha.

Better career - Jimmy G or Marino?

Swap Trent Dilfer if you hate me playing dirty pool by including a backup.

No ones going to remember Lamar the way Marino impacted the game. Marino was everyone fav growing up. For running QBs it’ll always be Vick. Vick revolutionized the position. Lamar is good but he isn’t in the same breath. I get what you’re saying but it’s not be implied. All Jimmy did was win baby. Jimmy g has had a phenomenal career and is set for life. Even he made the sb 😂 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, El Ramster said:

No ones going to remember Lamar the way Marino impacted the game. Marino was everyone fav growing up. For running QBs it’ll always be Vick. Vick revolutionized the position. Lamar is good but he isn’t in the same breath. I get what you’re saying but it’s not be implied. All Jimmy did was win baby. Jimmy g has had a phenomenal career and is set for life. Even he made the sb 😂 

Haha I actually think Lamar will go down as the premier runner overtaking Vick the way he overtook Cunningham.

But I agree that people are gonna have to start putting some respect on Jimmy G's name.

2x SB champ in 3 visits.

Not his fault Kyle can't coach 4th quarters. Jimmy just needed better support.

• Like 1

Just now, Soggust said:

Haha I actually think Lamar will go down as the premier runner overtaking Vick the way he overtook Cunningham.

But I agree that people are gonna have to start putting some respect on Jimmy G's name.

2x SB champ in 3 visits.

Not his fault Kyle can't coach 4th quarters. Jimmy just needed better support.

I’m not even talking about on field. Just in life, great looking very charismatic and deep pockets. My man’s has been paid. He stole all that raider money without a gun. I don’t think so. Lamar will probably stop running. To me I think he’ll be forgotten much like Daune Culppeper was. Or the same way people are forgetting about Cam Newton, I think Vick and Cam were better runners in terms of aesthetics. Lamar runs are more like a punt returner. Cam and Vick were electric making guys miss or breaking tackles. It’s not a knock on Lamar as he’s avoided big hits. Just the running style. Fields reminds me so much of Vick with the way he runs and how he Carrie’s the ball! That one hand ball grab brings back tons of memories. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Soggust said:

If I was to vote, I would have voted Dak. Because I'm a stats guy and willfully oblivious to context.

But with that being said - We are pretending this was more of a discussion than it really was and 49 1st place votes proves that imo.

Like, I think I'm a great driver. But 20+ tickets before I hit 17 years old probably proves otherwise. Sometimes we just have to accept evidence imo.

What really helped was the Ravens had a very clumpy stretch of primetime and/or significant game of the week type matchups for the last 5-7ish weeks to end the season and Lamar played insanely well during that stretch. The Ravens had CIN(primetime with Burrow to start), LAC(primetime with Herbert), LAR, JAX(primetime), SF(primetime), MIA to close out the season and won all of those games with Lamar playing really well and putting up some crazy highlight reel plays. 

MVP was definitely a function of timing this year, but credit to Lamar for playing his best ball down the stretch in primetime/in big games (until KC after the MVP votes had been cast)

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

What really helped was the Ravens had a very clumpy stretch of primetime and/or significant game of the week type matchups for the last 5-7ish weeks to end the season and Lamar played insanely well during that stretch. The Ravens had CIN(primetime with Burrow to start), LAC(primetime with Herbert), LAR, JAX(primetime), SF(primetime), MIA to close out the season and won all of those games with Lamar playing really well and putting up some crazy highlight reel plays. 

MVP was definitely a function of timing this year, but credit to Lamar for playing his best ball down the stretch in primetime/in big games (until KC after the MVP votes had been cast)

It was really the Miami game. 5 TD no turnovers was big. He had 24 TD and 13 turnovers heading into that game which is pretty mediocre and why Allen was the betting favorite at the time. He seems to always kill Miami and he did it again and no one saw anything after that so it was fresh on their mind. After 9 games Lamar had like 14 TD and 8 turnovers. He played much better late and often that is enough.

Overall it still wasn't a great year but it was enough for the voters who have whatever criteria they use.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

It was really the Miami game. 5 TD no turnovers was big. He had 24 TD and 13 turnovers heading into that game which is pretty mediocre and why Allen was the betting favorite at the time. He seems to always kill Miami and he did it again and no one saw anything after that so it was fresh on their mind. After 9 games Lamar had like 14 TD and 8 turnovers. He played much better late and often that is enough.

Overall it still wasn't a great year but it was enough for the voters who have whatever criteria they use.

Yeah I mean that’s why I said the last 5-7 games of the season. But you’re spinning an inaccurate narrative about the MIA game winning him the MVP. From NOV onward he had 300+ yards and 2 TDs against CIN, 380+ yards and 3 TDs against LAR, and 300+ yards and 2 TDs against SF after which he became the MVP betting favorite before the MIA game. There were Lamar MVP discussions on nearly every sports show after the LAR game and after JAX game you had guys like Orlovsky pounding the table and getting in arguments with Sharpe on ESPN about why he’s the MVP. The Xmas game against SF sealed it. He went into the Miami game a heavy betting and media favorite. 

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Yeah I mean that’s why I said the last 5-7 games of the season. But you’re spinning an inaccurate narrative about the MIA game winning him the MVP. From NOV onward he had 300+ yards and 2 TDs against CIN, 380+ yards and 3 TDs against LAR, and 300+ yards and 2 TDs against SF after which he became the MVP betting favorite before the MIA game. There were Lamar MVP discussions on nearly every sports show after the LAR game and after JAX game you had guys like Orlovsky pounding the table and getting in arguments with Sharpe on ESPN about why he’s the MVP. The Xmas game against SF sealed it. He went into the Miami game a heavy betting and media favorite. 

After the Jax game he had 22 TD and 13 turnovers. At that same time Josh Allen had like 37 TDs and only a couple more turnovers. The Bills also had 6 losses which hurt his case. Allen also struggled a bit down the stretch even though he had 7 TD he also had 4 picks over his last 3 games.

25 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

After the Jax game he had 22 TD and 13 turnovers. At that same time Josh Allen had like 37 TDs and only a couple more turnovers. The Bills also had 6 losses which hurt his case. Allen also struggled a bit down the stretch even though he had 7 TD he also had 4 picks over his last 3 games.

And Lamar was still the betting favorite once December rolled around. 

I get it. You spent the entire offseason talking about how Lamar wasn’t good anymore and he’d never get back to his MVP days again. I’m not pulling the quotes, i don’t care enough nor have the time. But you and I both know that’s what you did all offseason. And him winning his 2nd MVP probably made you feel dumb so you feel compelled to incessantly post more about how Lamar can’t win a SB and didn’t actually deserve the MVP etc etc to stifle the cognitive dissonance and rationalize to yourself that you actually do in fact know a lot about this sport. I’m just not super interested in rehashing it out with you. You’ll have to deal with this on your own terms

• Like 4