NFL Draft Talk (Mainly Titans)

KingTitan

7 minutes ago, twotonebluenation said:

I mean if there is a position where it's ok to be raw at as a defensive rookie I would think it would be edge. 

Kearse was raw. Obviously would need to develop for longevity. But 1-trick pony can be pretty good if that trick is great. lol

That said, I wouldn't take Turner high. But I'm not gonna be one that says it won't ever happen. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

He’s not that raw of a pass rusher go watch the film they said the same thing about Will Anderson last yr. The reason Bama edge Rushers don’t produce a ton of sacks is because of their system, their Rushers are told to engage with the Tackle play the run 1st & react, meaning feel if it’s run or pass before rushing, the same defense Belichick ran in NE & why he didn’t have a dominant pass rusher. 

Disregarding the completely untrue first sentence, this shows a pretty poor understanding of what raw means, and how scheme plays into scouting.  Raw means he's got athleticism, but not technique.  Anderson doesn't have a diverse set of pass rushing moves, or even a go to move that he can utilize.  He's an athlete that wins with athleticism.  That doesn't translate to the NFL, so he's going to have to learn some technique to be effective as an NFL pass rusher.  The effect of first year pass rushers, even ones that go high, tends to be low anyway.  Most take some seasoning.

What you're saying about the scheme has nothing to do with anything.  It's just words.

Counterexample, using Bama, is Jermaine Burton.  I'm high on Burton, because he shows a lot of skills on tape, but not often, because Bama's scheme has him run a go route down the sideline most of the time, so it's almost all you see him do.  They only occasionally had him run any other route, but when he did, he showed the ability to change direction quickly and smoothly, and track the ball and come back to it.  You see skills that Bama's scheme doesn't often utilize.

Turner has pass rushing downs, where his goal is to rush the passer.  He's not playing the run, he's rushing the passer.  It happens a lot.  And when it does, he either bull rushes, or tries to beat the tackle on the edge with speed, not with go-to moves.

6 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Kearse was raw. Obviously would need to develop for longevity. But 1-trick pony can be pretty good if that trick is great. lol

That said, I wouldn't take Turner high. But I'm not gonna be one that says it won't ever happen. 

What is great about listening to everyones opinions of the position we are in and who we should take, I feel like for the most part how the team is currently constructed we have put ourselves in a position to not reach for something given the circumstances, (needs, draft position, draft depth etc.)

I ultimately stand on to get to be a championship contender it's gonna take at least another offseason and development. So I think some of these can get pushed down the line, in favor of just taking the BPA. Just draft the best players, and it will fix things.

I really think we are in a great position no matter what happens. All the different ways I have mapped out those top 6 going it ultimately seems like there will be a guy there or possibly an option to trade out.

No matter how the cards fall I really see multiple options where I could be happy with the way it pans out, which is nice.

• Like 2

My board would be:

1. Marvin Harrison Jr.

2. Joe Alt

3. Malik Nabers

4a. Rome Odunze

4b. Trade down

I'd want to trade down if we go edge. And I'd also want to trade down to take another tackle not named Joe Alt

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, twotonebluenation said:

What is great about listening to everyones opinions of the position we are in and who we should take, I feel like for the most part how the team is currently constructed we have put ourselves in a position to not reach for something given the circumstances, (needs, draft position, draft depth etc.)

I ultimately stand on to get to be a championship contender it's gonna take at least another offseason and development. So I think some of these can get pushed down the line, in favor of just taking the BPA. Just draft the best players, and it will fix things.

I really think we are in a great position no matter what happens. All the different ways I have mapped out those top 6 going it ultimately seems like there will be a guy there or possibly an option to trade out.

No matter how the cards fall I really see multiple options where I could be happy with the way it pans out, which is nice.

Agreed. 

It's all opinion and not one is more right than the other. We will see when the picks come. I've been preaching there isn't one path to getting to the top of the mountain.
We could have simply just resigned Az and Autry, signed a couple other guys and that could have been right and just draft at our spots straight up and hope for the best.

or

We could have done what we have done. Swing big on some spots, to get the most complete roster possible. 

When the draft comes, we can stick and pick at every spot and that would be fine. No complaints.

or

We could move around the draft board trying to get as many picks in this top 100 as possible. 

That is what makes the draft fun to me, the unknown. The close calls, the what could have been. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Justin615$ said:

My board would be:

1. Marvin Harrison Jr.

2. Joe Alt

3. Malik Nabers

4a. Rome Odunze

4b. Trade down

I'd want to trade down if we go edge. And I'd also want to trade down to take another tackle not named Joe Alt

Flip Nabors and Alt.  Then toss up between trade down and Odunze and that's me. 

I'm with you. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Justin615$ said:

My board would be:

1. Marvin Harrison Jr.

2. Joe Alt

3. Malik Nabers

4a. Rome Odunze

4b. Trade down

This is a pretty good list.  I'd put trade down as 3b with Nabers myself, but yeah, pretty good.

• Like 1

One day I'd love for us to be in the position where we constantly have a surplus of picks. 
Houston is making the most of that Watson trade. Eating off that for the last couple years.

Same with Arizona and Bears. If they really do it right, they can constantly be "ahead of the chains" with the picks. 

10 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

One day I'd love for us to be in the position where we constantly have a surplus of picks. 
Houston is making the most of that Watson trade. Eating off that for the last couple years.

Same with Arizona and Bears. If they really do it right, they can constantly be "ahead of the chains" with the picks. 

I don't know if I'll ever trust the Bears to pick a good QB in the draft lol

3 hours ago, Daniel said:

Disregarding the completely untrue first sentence, this shows a pretty poor understanding of what raw means, and how scheme plays into scouting.  Raw means he's got athleticism, but not technique.  Anderson doesn't have a diverse set of pass rushing moves, or even a go to move that he can utilize.  He's an athlete that wins with athleticism.  That doesn't translate to the NFL, so he's going to have to learn some technique to be effective as an NFL pass rusher.  The effect of first year pass rushers, even ones that go high, tends to be low anyway.  Most take some seasoning.

What you're saying about the scheme has nothing to do with anything.  It's just words.

Counterexample, using Bama, is Jermaine Burton.  I'm high on Burton, because he shows a lot of skills on tape, but not often, because Bama's scheme has him run a go route down the sideline most of the time, so it's almost all you see him do.  They only occasionally had him run any other route, but when he did, he showed the ability to change direction quickly and smoothly, and track the ball and come back to it.  You see skills that Bama's scheme doesn't often utilize.

Turner has pass rushing downs, where his goal is to rush the passer.  He's not playing the run, he's rushing the passer.  It happens a lot.  And when it does, he either bull rushes, or tries to beat the tackle on the edge with speed, not with go-to moves.

Fair enough assessment you’ve done your homework I trust you love seen enough film. 💪🏾 So you’re saying he’s more Vic Beasley. I remember them calling Will Anderssen more Demarcus ware but his technique was raw he wins off athleticism & relentless motor. 

Keep hearing that the difference between the OTs aren't as large as some would think. 

Coach Mac on 104.5 and NFL.com are two of my go two sources. They think the gap isn't large if any. 

I'm sure people would just love it we pass Alt to take another OT at 7. 

29 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Keep hearing that the difference between the OTs aren't as large as some would think. 

Coach Mac on 104.5 and NFL.com are two of my go two sources. They think the gap isn't large if any. 

I'm sure people would just love it we pass Alt to take another OT at 7. 

I'd have to trust Callahan on that lol

But I'd love to trade down to the 10-13 range and take either Fuaga, Fashanu, Latham, or Fautanu.