2024 49ers offseason

49erurtaza

Ward is gone for sure. I do not think Nick Sorenson is a huge fan of his. Maybe that changes, but as of now, unlikely we pay him what it will take. 

We will get a 3rd round comp pick for him. Hard to feel too bad about it.

Yeah, I don't have much interest in signing Ward to an extension that carries into his 30s. That's bad process for me. 30 is when I want out of the corner, running back and wide receiver market (sometimes for wr).

Especially if you're picking between he and DMO (and I think they are). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean he just turned 28 years old today so if he gets another deal here, it will take him in his 30s. Not a killer but DMo is younger and ascending and will likely be a bit cheaper. We just drafted a pure press corner in Green and drafted Luter last season. Better chance we choose DMo over Ward. 

I honestly don't even think it's close. 

I'm not going to cry if we give Ward a new deal that basically amounts to a 2 year deal covering 29 and 30 ages...there's still a little meat on the bone there and most contracts are no more than 3 actual years anyway....but I don't think it's generally a great idea for the position. Hell, I'm not sure you want to give out many third contracts period.

I think DMO will be cheaper, his play has been good. Unless he blows up full on all pro style and prices himself out, I think he'll definitely be the guy they target. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I honestly don't even think it's close. 

I'm not going to cry if we give Ward a new deal that basically amounts to a 2 year deal covering 29 and 30 ages...there's still a little meat on the bone there and most contracts are no more than 3 actual years anyway....but I don't think it's generally a great idea for the position. Hell, I'm not sure you want to give out many third contracts period.

I think DMO will be cheaper, his play has been good. Unless he blows up full on all pro style and prices himself out, I think he'll definitely be the guy they target. 

Agreed. DMO's younger, more versatile & should be cheaper. Smart money move would be to make his extension a priority over Mooney.

My assumption is they're banking on either Luter or Green to ascend going into 2025 and make that decision for them.

Whether that actually happens remains to be seen but they haven't had real good return on their draft investments @outside corner as of late.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JIllg said:

After looking at my next year roster prediction given the contract situations, you can really see what the team was looking at the draft to specifically replace. I think that Aaron Banks is gone (replaced by Puni). And we're really counting on Renardo Green to step up as the boundary corner as Charvarius Ward moves on. Ditto for Mustapha and Hufanga. The team tends to draft a year ahead of time and later than you'd expect to fill future starter needs that aren't in what they consider to be the critical path. Biggest roster question for me is at weakside linebacker where we almost certainly won't be paying Greenlaw.

Next year will be massively different. I was looking at this a couple of weeks ago when listening to various pods talk abou the draft class and thought the same. 

Don't be surprised if Juice is gone next year. He's only here this year because he took a salary cut, so they have already planned for life beyond him. 

Also, Collins is like a 10 million dollar hit with no dead money. Wouldn't surprise me if he's one and done here. 

Obviously, I think Deebo is almost certainly gone as well and Brendel is running out of time. 

This is the roster turnover you could be looking at (guys I think with a good shot at being gone highlighted red) 

2024:                                                                        

• QB - Brock Purdy
  • RB - CMC
  • RB - Mitchell                                                
  • RB - Gurendo
  • RB - Mason                                                  
  • FB - Juice                                 
  • LT - Trent
  • LG - Aaron Banks
  • C - Jake Brendel
  • RG - Feliciano
  • RT - McKivitz
  • WR - Aiyuk
  • WR - Deebo
  • WR - Jennings
  • WR - Pearsall
  • WR - Cowing 
  • TE - Kittle

and on defense: 

• DE - Bosa
  • DE - Floyd
  • DE - YGM
  • DE - Jackson
  • DE - Beal
  • DT - Collins
  • DT - Hargrave
  • DT - Givens
  • LB - Warner
  • LB - Greenlaw 
  • LB - Campbell
  • LB - Winter
  • LB - Graham
  • LB - DFF / Bethune
  • CB - Rock Ya Sin
  • CB - Yiadom
  • CB - Ward
  • CB - DMO
  • CB - Luter
  • CB - Thomas
  • CB - Womack
  • S - Hufanga
  • S - Odum
  • S - Brown
  • S - Mustapha

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Agreed. DMO's younger, more versatile & should be cheaper. Smart money move would be to make his extension a priority over Mooney.

I want to re-sign Dmo right now. He is a FA after this season. There is just no way I am letting that dawg walk out of here. He is quickly becoming one of the heartbeats of the defense. 

His price will only go up. 

Sign BA to a deal where his cap hit will decrease, and then use some of that immediate cap savings to give dmo a nice deal with some upfront money. He has earned it and is part of the core for the next 4-5 years IMO. 

• Like 3

Starting 25, it may look something like: 

QB - Purdy, ????, ????

RB - CMC, Guerendo, ????

FB - ???? (Maybe Willis? )

TE - Kittle, Latu (????), ????

OT - Trent, McKivitz, ???? 

OG - Puni, ?????, Burford, Kingston (???? unsure - thought we were going to put him at center)

C - ????, Nugent, Kingston?

WR - Aiyuk, Pearsall, Cowing, Bell(?)

DE - Bosa, Floyd, YGM (don't be surprised if he sucks if he's one and done though - 3M of 25 salary guarantees 4/1 and if they cut him before they save 3M), Beal, Jackson(?????)

DT - Hargrave, Anderson, ????, ????, ???? (Collins is an easy cut unless he's really good, Givens is only on a 1 year deal, I think)

LB - Warner, Graham, Winters, ?????, Bethune? 

CB - DMO (I think he'll likely be the one to re-sign), Luter, Green, ????, ???? Womack is potentially still under contract, but I'm not sure he'll make the team. Everyone else on a 1 year deal right now. 

S - Brown, Mustapha, Odum, ????

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

My assumption is they're banking on either Luter or Green to ascend going into 2025 and make that decision for them.

Whether that actually happens remains to be seen but they haven't had real good return on their draft investments @outside corner as of late.

This got me thinking...When was the last time the Niners drafted a corner who ended up really good?  Tarell Brown? 

8 minutes ago, WhyAmIHere said:

This got me thinking...When was the last time the Niners drafted a corner who ended up really good?  Tarell Brown? 

DJ Reed. Just didn't end up good for the niners

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Next year will be massively different. I was looking at this a couple of weeks ago when listening to various pods talk abou the draft class and thought the same. 

Don't be surprised if Juice is gone next year. He's only here this year because he took a salary cut, so they have already planned for life beyond him. 

Also, Collins is like a 10 million dollar hit with no dead money. Wouldn't surprise me if he's one and done here. 

Obviously, I think Deebo is almost certainly gone as well and Brendel is running out of time. 

This is the roster turnover you could be looking at (guys I think with a good shot at being gone highlighted red) 

2024:                                                                        

• QB - Brock Purdy
  • RB - CMC
  • RB - Mitchell                                                
  • RB - Gurendo
  • RB - Mason                                                  
  • FB - Juice                                 
  • LT - Trent
  • LG - Aaron Banks
  • C - Jake Brendel
  • RG - Feliciano
  • RT - McKivitz
  • WR - Aiyuk
  • WR - Deebo
  • WR - Jennings
  • WR - Pearsall
  • WR - Cowing 
  • TE - Kittle

and on defense: 

• DE - Bosa
  • DE - Floyd
  • DE - YGM
  • DE - Jackson
  • DE - Beal
  • DT - Collins
  • DT - Hargrave
  • DT - Givens
  • LB - Warner
  • LB - Greenlaw 
  • LB - Campbell
  • LB - Winter
  • LB - Graham
  • LB - DFF / Bethune
  • CB - Rock Ya Sin
  • CB - Yiadom
  • CB - Ward
  • CB - DMO
  • CB - Luter
  • CB - Thomas
  • CB - Womack
  • S - Hufanga
  • S - Odum
  • S - Brown
  • S - Mustapha

Agree with a lot of this, but I think that Jackson and Brendel stay - just too much financial sense and they don't value those roster spots highly enough to upgrade. Collins is a bit more of a toss up - they may believe that it would cost more in assets to replace him or they might not. Juice is a fair point, but I struggle to overcome the feeling that he'll make it to the end of the contract somehow, lol. And I think that they'll keep DMO on the relative cheap. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, JIllg said:

Agree with a lot of this, but I think that Jackson and Brendel stay - just too much financial sense and they don't value those roster spots highly enough to upgrade. Collins is a bit more of a toss up - they may believe that it would cost more in assets to replace him or they might not. Juice is a fair point, but I struggle to overcome the feeling that he'll make it to the end of the contract somehow, lol. And I think that they'll keep DMO on the relative cheap. 

Jackson's career comes down to whether he beats out Beal for DE4 spot this year. If he's DE5 and inactive most games, I think he could be done. I don't think the team will go without drafting an edge in two straight drafts. 

You could be right on brendel for sure. His cap hit is pretty negligible. I just don't think he's any good and last year I thought he was just flat out bad in determining protections a lot. But potentially replacing your entire interior is a daunting prospect

They may have juice take another cut. He really doesn't have a choice. He doesn't have the AA options. His base is 4.1 and you can't do that when you're 25 million over the cap and your QB is going to get big jump in cap and Aiyuk isn't even on the roster for next year

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Jackson's career comes down to whether he beats out Beal for DE4 spot this year. If he's DE5 and inactive most games, I think he could be done. I don't think the team will go without drafting an edge in two straight drafts. 

How sick would it be if Jackson or Beal reached their potential this year?  Would give the defense such a MASSIVE boost.  I think Beal beats him out, I've heard they are high on him.  Drake just doesn't seem strong enough, and it doesn't seem like the weightroom can fix it. 

Kalia Davis though, I could see him being pretty good if he got healthy.  He looked very good in a few reps last year. 

1 minute ago, WhyAmIHere said:

How sick would it be if Jackson or Beal reached their potential this year?  Would give the defense such a MASSIVE boost.  I think Beal beats him out, I've heard they are high on him.  Drake just doesn't seem strong enough, and it doesn't seem like the weightroom can fix it. 

Kalia Davis though, I could see him being pretty good if he got healthy.  He looked very good in a few reps last year. 

I think the fact that they re-signed givens bodes very poorly for Davis, tbh. But we'll see

They like to carry 10 defensive linemen. 

Givens, Bosa, Collins, Jackson, Beal, Floyd, Elliott, YGM, hargrave is already 9. 

• Like 1