Free Agency Talk

THE DUKE

Yeah, I think Eluemunor will get a multi-year deal somewhere. If we signed him, we wouldn't be looking to draft a tackle early. If we sign a journeyman like George Fant, Cam Fleming, or Mekhi Becton, it would probably be a 1 year deal and we'd still be looking for an yearly tackle pick. 

I think we need to get 1 of DT or RT settled long term in free agency before the draft. The draft is deep this year at tackle so that makes DT more likely. A typical Bengals approach would be to re-sign Reader. If not, they won't go big for Wilkins but might go for an A'Shawn Robinson or Sheldon Rankins. Those would be mid-priced vets, under 10 mil but older than the team likes.

7 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Yeah, I think Eluemunor will get a multi-year deal somewhere. If we signed him, we wouldn't be looking to draft a tackle early. If we sign a journeyman like George Fant, Cam Fleming, or Mekhi Becton, it would probably be a 1 year deal and we'd still be looking for an yearly tackle pick. 

I think we need to get 1 of DT or RT settled long term in free agency before the draft. The draft is deep this year at tackle so that makes DT more likely. A typical Bengals approach would be to re-sign Reader. If not, they won't go big for Wilkins but might go for an A'Shawn Robinson or Sheldon Rankins. Those would be mid-priced vets, under 10 mil but older than the team likes.

The draft is also full of 3Ts.  Keep Reader, draft a NT and a 3t, possibly sign another 3t 

I'd also be fine with drafting 2 3ts by the middle of day 3.  RT-NT-3t-3t.  Then go for a TE or two plus a RB and a LB

Sign vets for the empty CB and S spots

Edited by INbengalfan

21 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Is Becton a journeyman? He's a recent first round pick with injury history. I'm guessing those others will all be cheap options, but I wouldn't be shocked to see Becton get paid. Wasn't he also all aggressively annoyed about being put at right tackle? I just would be surprised if that's the guy.

Pollack was the Jets O-line coach when they drafted Becton. He's mostly been hurt and last year was the first time he played in all 17 games. 

He's going to have to take a short deal somewhere, nobody will lock themselves into a multi-year deal for him.

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

Bengals have re-signed Trayveon Williams today, to a 1 year deal. We also re-signed Drew Sample to a 3 year, 10.5mil deal.

Vonn Bell and Hayden Hurst are both being cut by Carolina on Wednesday. 

Was thinking Bell would have been an interesting signing but with the news we're signing Geno Stone it doesn't make much sense.

Stone is a great addition. But we should still sign Vonn. 

He has a guaranteed 6 mil coming from Carolina so unless someone wants to pay him more than that, he could play for vet min, ala Russell Wilson. 

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Stone is a great addition. But we should still sign Vonn. 

He has a guaranteed 6 mil coming from Carolina so unless someone wants to pay him more than that, he could play for vet min, ala Russell Wilson. 

Wouldn't be mad at it, but I don't expect it. 

10 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

Is Becton a journeyman? He's a recent first round pick with injury history. I'm guessing those others will all be cheap options, but I wouldn't be shocked to see Becton get paid. Wasn't he also all aggressively annoyed about being put at right tackle? I just would be surprised if that's the guy.

Biggest problem with Bechton, besides the injuries, is that he sees himself as a LT.  He even blamed the Jets moving him to RT for one of his injuries.  That problem would still be a problem here.

We should have outbid the Giants for Jermaine Eluemunor. He's decent, probably better than Jonah for half the price. Then we wouldn't have to take a RT early in the draft. Now we'll probably get a stopgap vet like Cam Fleming or George Fant to cover while a rookie gets up to speed. 

4 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

Even though cutting Mixon was expected and almost definitely the correct move, I feel not great about it. But I do think cheaper running back, probably better production. They really had to do it.

Agreed they had to do it. Mixon hasn't been worth his contract for several years so no reason for the team to feel bad. They've traded him to the Texans so Joe will get his money, just from a new team.

1 minute ago, sparky151 said:

Agreed they had to do it. Mixon hasn't been worth his contract for several years so no reason for the team to feel bad. They've traded him to the Texans so Joe will get his money, just from a new team.

Happy for Joe to get that opportunity. Not sure we should be helping out Houston 

7 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

Pretty decent FA for us. Still want legitimate offensive and defensive tackles brought in but not ready to panic on that one.

Just wait until we trade Tee, Dax and a day 2 pick to the Vikings for JJetta