Free Agency Talk

THE DUKE

We'll probably bring back Tupou and also Bailey, Bachie, Wilcox, and maybe Scharping. 

If we sign Tart, he's young enough we don't need to draft another NT or 3T. Even without Tart or another vet NT, Rankins is going to be on the field at the same time as Hill a lot. Unless they make Hill a cap casualty, which isn't very Bengals-like.

Even if Newton or Murphy are on the board at 18, I think there is no chance we pick either. RT is still most likely even if we sign Becton. If Bowers is available, grab him. If not, CB is a possibility. Turner hit the rookie wall and CTB missed a lot of time. 

5 hours ago, sparky151 said:

We'll probably bring back Tupou and also Bailey, Bachie, Wilcox, and maybe Scharping. 

If we sign Tart, he's young enough we don't need to draft another NT or 3T. Even without Tart or another vet NT, Rankins is going to be on the field at the same time as Hill a lot. Unless they make Hill a cap casualty, which isn't very Bengals-like.

Even if Newton or Murphy are on the board at 18, I think there is no chance we pick either. RT is still most likely even if we sign Becton. If Bowers is available, grab him. If not, CB is a possibility. Turner hit the rookie wall and CTB missed a lot of time. 

They are about as locked in/cornered into taking a RT at 18 as you can get.  I'm a Georgia fan, would love Bowers, but not at the expense of a young stud at RT.  We have to start preparing for roster rollover.  We can't keep expecting to bring in high or moderately high priced veterans for all these holes, especially along the o line and somewhat along the D line.  

As for the "not happening" rumor of the week, I'd seriously call Minnesota and offer Tee, Dax and a pick for Jefferson, but not our first.  Maybe a future first, but the need at RT is too big.  To make it all happen, Joe has to give a little back or start pushing money into a void year to manage the cap hit with Chase coming as well.

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Becton was called for 18 penalties last year (tied for 2nd most among tackles) and allowed 12 sacks, tied for the most among tackles.

It won't be a tragedy if we look for a different vet. 

False.  He has 18 penalties in his career, 10 last year.  5 false starts, three holds, 1 personal foul and one other.

13 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

False.  He has 18 penalties in his career, 10 last year.  5 false starts, three holds, 1 personal foul and one other.

FWIW, PFF disagrees with you on his penalty count for 2023.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/mekhi-becton/59818

This board won't let me post the snippet.

35 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Agreed.  Give me the Green Bay RT

Nijman? He's not good. If you mean Zach Tom in trade, then sure. 

20 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

FWIW, PFF disagrees with you on his penalty count for 2023.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/mekhi-becton/59818

This board won't let me post the snippet.

Nijman? He's not good. If you mean Zach Tom in trade, then sure. 

That's weird.  I looked it it to see the breakdown of the penalties and they had it as 10 last year, 18 over his career.  And it was on PFF no less.  Oh well, that'w weird.

As far as Bechton, he doesn't want to play RT.  When we sign one, I want a guy willing to play the position and who is willing to lay it all on the line to protect #9, not someone who is doing it begrudgingly for a paycheck.

2 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I'd much rather make a play at Brown than Becton, though both have injury concerns.  I don't think signing Brown eliminates taking an OT at 18, but it makes it not a necessity.

Yep. This feels like the best option, especially if there's a run on tackle and the options at 18 aren't year one starter material.

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

Brown is a much better player than Becton. He may want a multi-year deal though. If he's only expecting the $8 mil that's been floated as his price, the Bengals should pay that.

Only had to give him a one year deal.  That'd make me feel better about taking a guy like Mims with spot duty and a year to get him up to snuff with his limited playing time in college.  18 doesn't have to be a Billy Price pick at least.

Yeah, this is a good signing. Means we don't have to absolutely use pick 18 on a tackle. Now it's just optional. We could take a developmental tackle in the mid rounds and use 18 for Bowers or Thomas or Murphy or DeJean or whomever is BPA on the Bengals board. I think it's likely that Sweat will be available at 49 but if he's not, we can fall back to Jenkins or Floyd.