Free Agency Talk

THE DUKE

I don't think we'll sign a big DT at this point. We do need to re-sign some of last year's backups such as Tupou, Scharping, Bailey, and Bachie. 

Those guys are all looking for a job and we have one available for them at low cost. I could see us signing a vet CB or maybe a WR to replace Boyd. 

3 hours ago, sparky151 said:

I don't think we'll sign a big DT at this point. We do need to re-sign some of last year's backups such as Tupou, Scharping, Bailey, and Bachie. 

Those guys are all looking for a job and we have one available for them at low cost. I could see us signing a vet CB or maybe a WR to replace Boyd. 

Tee is still an option for trade.  How about some deal revolving around him for Dexter Lawrence?  He's a NT with pass rush ability.  Hois salary is within a fraction of tee's tag amount.  They need a true #1 WR, especially if they do go QB in the draft.

Who says no?

4 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Tee is still an option for trade.  How about some deal revolving around him for Dexter Lawrence?  He's a NT with pass rush ability.  Hois salary is within a fraction of tee's tag amount.  They need a true #1 WR, especially if they do go QB in the draft.

Who says no?

Besides me? 

6 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Curious as to why not.  He is signed for three more years, is young, and is the top NT in the league right now.  Maybe the Giants say no, but they need a #1 WR

It's too cute and creates a hole. The team is built to win with elite outside receivers. Replacing Tee with anyone whether a free agent or draft pick is a larger ask than I'd like to take on.

6 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

It's too cute and creates a hole. The team is built to win with elite outside receivers. Replacing Tee with anyone whether a free agent or draft pick is a larger ask than I'd like to take on.

The hole created can be addressed immediately in the draft.  Also, there wouldn't be a need to fill the DT void with high draft capitol.

12 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

The hole created can be addressed immediately in the draft.  Also, there wouldn't be a need to fill the DT void with high draft capitol.

So we're locked into having to take one and hoping they hit year one, or relying on Yoshi or Jones. Or maybe signing an Odell Beckham.

But receivers in that range are no guarantee:

12 Henry Ruggs Raiders Alabama

15 Jerry Jeudy Broncos Alabama

17 CeeDee Lamb Cowboys Oklahoma

21 Jalen Reagor Eagles Texas Christian

22 Justin Jefferson Vikings Louisiana State

25 Brandon Aiyuk

10 DeVonta Smith Eagles Alabama

20 Kadarius Toney Giants Florida

27 Rashod Bateman Ravens Minnesota

12 Jameson Williams Lions Alabama

16 Jahan Dotson Commanders Penn State

18 Treylon Burks Titans Arkansas

20 Jaxon Smith-Njigba Seahawks OSU

21 Quentin Johnston Chargers TCU

22 Zay Flowers Ravens Boston College

23 Jordan Addison Vikings USC

Some good, even great options there, but I don't like locking ourselves into hoping we draft Justin Jefferson and not Kadarius Toney

The Giants probably wouldn't make the trade until June 2 for cap reasons, to spread the dead money out.

But it would be an upgrade from Reader for our defense. Putting Lawrence in the middle of our line and adding 2 good safeties should give us a big improvement on defense from last year. 

Losing Higgins in addition to Boyd will sting, but we have Irwin and Jones to cover for Tyler's departure. Yoshi and an early pick can cover for Tee. I trust Burrow to find the open guy. 

On 3/20/2024 at 3:03 PM, THE DUKE said:

I wonder if there is a chance of a humbled Boyd coming back on a small contract.  I've heard absolutely zero buzz about him in free agency.

I like Boyd, but I'm kind of looking forward to the change, to be honest. It'd be nice to be a bit more explosive from the slot. 

18 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

I like Boyd, but I'm kind of looking forward to the change, to be honest. It'd be nice to be a bit more explosive from the slot. 

He looked like he didn't have a lot left to give last year. Lots of games with only Higgins or Chase last year I was hoping he'd step up and he didn't. I'd bring him back because I'm sentimental, but I don't think it makes sense, especially if you are keeping Higgins.