Free Agency Talk

THE DUKE

Pass on CEH. Swift is still young without too much mileage on him but he may want Mixon type money. The draft always has some decent RBs on day 3. 

I'll guess we tag Tee, re-sign some of our backup players like Hudson, Irwin, Scharping, Bailey, and Bachie. 

We'll let Jonah Williams, Tyler Boyd, and Chido Awuzie leave. Big question is health of DJ Reader. If he can play from start of season, we'll try to re-sign him. If he'll miss camp and at least part of the season, we'll need a replacement for him. That could well come in the draft. 

Tag Tee, maybe bring back Ford on the line, they seem to like him. Whether they sign Reader or not, they need to sign a playable interior player and probably draft one early on top of it. I'd like to see a veteran in the secondary, not sure if it's corner or safety but we might be a little too young back there. Probably bring in a veteran running back to pair with Brown.

I expect a low level starter type for right tackle. Eluemunor is the name I keep hearing and that makes sense.

I think we need 3 new IDL if we don't bring Reader back.  You can probably get away with 2, but then you're counting on one of Zach Carter or Jay Tufele to give you meaningful snaps in 2024, even if everyone stays relatively healthy.  BJ Hill is the only guarantee we have at the position going into next year.

I'm on board the Eleumunor train, was last year as well.  He was a full 10 pts better than Jonah according to PFF, and will likely cost less than Jonah because he doesn't have the same draft pedigree, which is dumb, but it seems to matter.

Joe Goodberry did a mock offseason last week on his Bengals on the Brain YouTube show.  He ended up cutting Joe Mixon and Nick Scott, franchise tagged Tee Higgins, let Boyd, Smith, Jonah, Reader, and Chido walk in FA.  Ended up signing Jermaine Eleumunor, Geno Stone, D'Onta Foreman, Justin Madubuike, and Matt Hennessy.

9 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I think we need 3 new IDL if we don't bring Reader back.  You can probably get away with 2, but then you're counting on one of Zach Carter or Jay Tufele to give you meaningful snaps in 2024, even if everyone stays relatively healthy.  BJ Hill is the only guarantee we have at the position going into next year.

I'm on board the Eleumunor train, was last year as well.  He was a full 10 pts better than Jonah according to PFF, and will likely cost less than Jonah because he doesn't have the same draft pedigree, which is dumb, but it seems to matter.

Joe Goodberry did a mock offseason last week on his Bengals on the Brain YouTube show.  He ended up cutting Joe Mixon and Nick Scott, franchise tagged Tee Higgins, let Boyd, Smith, Jonah, Reader, and Chido walk in FA.  Ended up signing Jermaine Eleumunor, Geno Stone, D'Onta Foreman, Justin Madubuike, and Matt Hennessy.

Hennessy would be a surprise. I'm guessing they draft interior and stick with Ted as the starter. Madubuike would be awesome, but I'd still like two more 

I'd skip Foreman and probably Stone but if we could get Madubuike for 13 mil per year, ie a bit less than Reader, that's a no brainer. My guess is he gets more than that in real life.

Eluemenor would be a good addition. For a punter, we should just sign Araiza as competition for Robbins. Let Simmons work with him on directional punting and holding. Araiza will be cheap as he just wants back into the NFL. 

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

Some interesting cuts today. Hurst and Uzomah added to potential free agents tight ends

Adams might be a safety option if they trust him to be healthy 

I think we will be in on a free safety, so no Adams, but Diggs might get a look.  There's a few good ones out there.

2 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

I think we will be in on a free safety, so no Adams, but Diggs might get a look.  There's a few good ones out there.

I'm very curious what the plan is. I do think we need a vet in the secondary, either at safety or corner to go with the young group we have. I do think Hill can play corner both outside and nickel, so a starter at free safety is a good move I think.

3 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

I'm very curious what the plan is. I do think we need a vet in the secondary, either at safety or corner to go with the young group we have. I do think Hill can play corner both outside and nickel, so a starter at free safety is a good move I think.

I think we may try to get a vet at both FS and 4th CB.  Hill can be a third S in the box or over the TE in coverage

I think we may cut Nick Scott and look to replace him with a better vet. I wouldn't mind bringing back Tre Flowers for TE coverage. Or even Eli Apple if he's on the market again.  Ivey may not be ready at the start of the season so I wouldn't be surprised if he's on PUP. I could see us going after Dane Jackson or someone like that.