Marvin Lewis future/ Possible Replacement?

SimbaWho

31 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

I mean at times Cincy was at least mentioned as possible Super bowl shots. Lions aren't even close in that conversation with any coach. Heck they can't even win a Aaron Rodgers-less NFC North, when will they ever win a division?

Cincy has been mentioned as possible Super Bowl shots because of the talent on their roster, not because of their head coach. The fact that Caldwell has gotten these Lions teams as far as Lewis has gotten those Bengals teams should show that Caldwell can do as well with less.

Rosters take time to reshape. Rodgers playing or not is irrelevant when our team can't pressure a QB or stop the run.

I don't think that's completely true. I've never looked at a Cincy team and definitively said wow they're more talented than both the Ravens/Steelers. But, your welcome to think Caldwell has done more with less if you want to. Marvin Lewis wasn't handed a Tony Dungy ran franchise.

I wasn't referring to Caldwell's time with the Colts. If the goal of an NFL team is to advance in the playoffs, Caldwell has gotten as far as Lewis has in his time in Detroit with a less talented roster. In fact Caldwell got closer to advancing than Lewis has iirc.

Lions backing into the playoffs last year is hardly as great as Marvin Lewis winning a division four times and earning a playoff spot. Marvin Lewis has won as many division titles as the Lions have ever period. Whatever though, take your SUPER simplistic thinking process and apply it across the board. Marvin Lewis is competing against better organizations and coaches than what the Lions and Jim Caldwell are. Teams within his own division have made the Super bowl three or four times.

An no they didn't almost get father than Cincy, Cincy lost a game by two points Cincy could of easily beat Pittsburg two years ago where they had a real nasty playoff game decided by 2 points. Prolly should of but it's literally one of the most epic meltdowns with Pacman Jones, etc, we've ever seen. In fact you could really argue the Pacman Jones call won them the game and MAYBE didn't even need to be called.

I'm just not seeing where Caldwell's body of work has out done Marvin Lewis but everyone is welcome to there own thoughts.

6 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

Lions backing into the playoffs last year is hardly as great as Marvin Lewis winning a division four times and earning a playoff spot. Marvin Lewis has won as many division titles as the Lions have ever period. Whatever though, take your SUPER simplistic thinking process and apply it across the board. Marvin Lewis is competing against better organizations and coaches than what the Lions and Jim Caldwell are. Teams within his own division have made the Super bowl three or four times.

An no they didn't almost get father than Cincy, Cincy lost a game by two points Cincy could of easily beat Pittsburg two years ago where they had a real nasty playoff game decided by 2 points. Prolly should of but it's literally one of the most epic meltdowns with Pacman Jones, etc, we've ever seen. In fact you could really argue the Pacman Jones call won them the game and MAYBE didn't even need to be called.

I'm just not seeing where Caldwell's body of work has out done Marvin Lewis but everyone is welcome to there own thoughts.

I agree, the Cincy owner is as cheap as they come and lacks the financial resources to compete with a big city like Detroit. As a result, Lewis has always had to do it with less and loses FA's left and right that he would have preferred stay with the team.

That is the reason Brown kept Lewis on for so many years, he did more with less that even Brown thought he could. Unfortunately, with the loss of Zimmer to Minny, Lewis lost a defensive genius somewhat comparable to BB and as his team ages, Brown will simply not bring in expensive FA's to fill the gaps.

As for Caldwell, he is a run of the mill HC, not bad, but not great either, could get a team to the playoffs, but will never win the SB!!!

On 12/14/2017 at 9:28 PM, SimbaWho said:

Oh, so you don't have anyone in mind, Just replace him with someone? I guess I have to ask too... Why is Marvin Lewis so unqualified? Or such a big no?

I actually think he's quite accomplished considering the organization, the division he plays in, the players his team signs/drafts. I know he's not really done much in the playoffs but dang... Outside of the really good great coaches in this game there aren't many better right now with a track record like Marvin Lewis.

An I'm just trying to get a grasp on who people in DET think will replace Caldwell or if they're just so upset with him they'll take anyone, or almost anyone.

If I didn’t know better, one would think you’re talking about Jim Caldwell. 

If you really want to sound cute, Every coach in the league is accomplished right? How else did they get an NFL job.

I mean seriously... though, you think Jim Caldwell done as much as Marvin Lewis?

Nnivolcm double down and basically said Caldwells done more with less even though Marvin Lewis has as many division titles as the Lions organization playing against super bowl winning organizations. Not to mention the money Lions actually have gone out and spent with Caldwell here vs what Cincy has or hasn't done with money/players. And Marvin Lewis wasn't handed a Tony Dungy ran team with Peyton Manning on it.

Honestly I'm defending him way too much, lol, but it's about the only thing to talk about around here with no other Major Coaches available or even rumored yet at the moment.

18 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

If you really want to sound cute, Every coach in the league is accomplished right? How else did they get an NFL job.

I mean seriously... though, you think Jim Caldwell done as much as Marvin Lewis?

Nnivolcm double down and basically said Caldwells done more with less even though Marvin Lewis has as many division titles as the Lions organization playing against super bowl winning organizations. Not to mention the money Lions actually have gone out and spent with Caldwell here vs what Cincy has or hasn't done with money/players. And Marvin Lewis wasn't handed a Tony Dungy ran team with Peyton Manning on it.

Honestly I'm defending him way too much, lol, but it's about the only thing to talk about around here with no other Major Coaches available or even rumored yet at the moment.

I’m not really in favour of a change and when you mentioned Lewis I dismissed the idea. However reading your arguments has swayed my opinion of Lewis. I didn’t really think about payroll and division. If they were to make a change Lewis should certainly be on any short list.

8 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

He compensated the low spending situation with gathering high talent players with a troubled history that nobody else wants. Sure, he gets them to play for him but what good is that trait when you are going to be with an organization like the Lions who brings in high character players? Let’s be real... he’s not coaching a scrub team every year. His teams are always very talented and always underperform. 

18 hours ago, LionsFTW said:

He compensated the low spending situation with gathering high talent players with a troubled history that nobody else wants. Sure, he gets them to play for him but what good is that trait when you are going to be with an organization like the Lions who brings in high character players? Let’s be real... he’s not coaching a scrub team every year. His teams are always very talented and always underperform. 

I'm not saying they're bad either but what I will say is I've never looked at a Andy Dalton lead team and said yep they're definitely better than both the Ravens and Steelers, both of whom are in their own division. Also most of there talent is home grown and a lot of it gets away from them. It's not like they spend tons on they're own guys. Jonathan Joseph, Marvin Jones, Andrew Witworth(even after holding on to him for a long time), Mohammad Sanu, and on and on under Marvin Lewis. What people don't realize, Marvin Lewis does his own drafting being that Mike Brown the owner is also the President and General Manager of the Bengals. Basically he's Jerry Jones just with the Bengals, and seeming to me a lot more hands off on the draft and since Marvin Lewis has come to town they've drafted extremely well and I don't think it's a accident or Mike Brown becoming a football drafting guru.

An Lions have had troubled players before just not under the Jim Caldwell regime. I mean we had Dominic Riaola here and drafted Titus Young and Charles Rodgers. You just brushed it aside but I think it says ALOT that he can get guys like Pac-man/Burfict and remake their careers. These guys where basically rejects.

Couldn’t sleep so I looked up some stuff. Here is how Marvin Lewis’ career looks as the Bengals HC. 

2003: 8-8 (2nd) 
2004: 8-8 (3rd) 
2005: 11-5 (1st  Lost Wild Card to Steelers 31-17)
2006: 8-8 (2nd) 
2007: 7-9 (3rd) 
2008: 4-11-1 (3rd) 
2009: 10-6 (1st Lost Wild Card to Jets 24-14)
2010: 4-12 (4th)
2011: 9-7 (3rd Lost Wild Card to Texans 31-10)
2012: 10-6 (2nd Lost Wild Card to Texans 19-13)
2013: 11 -5 (2nd Lost Wild Card to Chargers 27-10)
2014: 10-5-1 (1st Lost Wild Card to Colts 26-10)
2015: 12-4 (2nd Lost Wild Card to Steelers 18-16)
2016: 6-9-1 (3rd)
2017: ** currently 5-9 

NFL Record: 349-417**
NFL Record as HC: 123-112-3 **
NFL Postseason Record as HC: 0-7

Finishes as HC: 
1st Place: 3
2nd Place: 5
3rd Place: 5
4th Place: 1

Take from those numbers what you will. I found them interesting. 

I’m not a fan of Marvin Lewis. I would rather sign Caldwell to an extension. It’s a near lateral move, if not a slight downgrade. I’d rather promote one of the coordinators. Lewis has brought in some decent talent, but the Lions don’t need a GM. I wouldn’t want him coming here to coach. 

If the Lions make a coaching change, and I hope they do, I want them to look for someone who hasn’t been in a long term HC job before. The exception would be someone like Gruden, but that’s not happening. There’s a lot of good, young talent out there  and I think it would benefit the Lions to go find a guy who is creative, innovative, and hungry to take over a team. My pick would be Matt Patricia. Who knows, though. We don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes. It’ll be an interesting offseason. 

Archived