2024 Offseason Tracker

General Tso

Adding a vet would be fine, but depends on who they get in the draft.  And saying rookies can't step in is foolish.  Last year alone Nacua nd Dell were instantly great WRs from the later rounds.  Guys like Rice and ARSB took part of the year to get situated and then made major impacts as rookies.  Others did just fine as rotational WRs.  If we draft one before round 4 I would have no issues expecting them to make some what of an impact next year.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Jamo missing all that time to me he is just another young WR.

If they draft another one I hope they still add a veteran. Cut Green for a veteran and draft a rookie I would be okay. 

Conversely, you could let your draft picks work their way up the depth chart.  The Lions have already slotted Jamo as WR2.  Antoine Green eventually showed he could handle a special teams role/WR5 role in the second half of last season.  I suspect the Lions are going to see what kind jump he will make from Year 1 to Year 2.  

We only have a finite amount of draft capital.  Creating roster churn without a plan that will make the roster better doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  The only "open role" we have is WR3.  DPJ and Antoine Green are capable of stepping into that role.  We might add a veteran WR after the draft but there is no pressing need to draft a WR.

15 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Adding a vet would be fine, but depends on who they get in the draft.  And saying rookies can't step in is foolish.  Last year alone Nacua nd Dell were instantly great WRs from the later rounds.  Guys like Rice and ARSB took part of the year to get situated and then made major impacts as rookies.  Others did just fine as rotational WRs.  If we draft one before round 4 I would have no issues expecting them to make some what of an impact next year.  

I'm not saying they can't be productive. I'm saying you need a veteran presence. 

13 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Conversely, you could let your draft picks work their way up the depth chart.  The Lions have already slotted Jamo as WR2.  Antoine Green eventually showed he could handle a special teams role/WR5 role in the second half of last season.  I suspect the Lions are going to see what kind jump he will make from Year 1 to Year 2.  

We only have a finite amount of draft capital.  Creating roster churn without a plan that will make the roster better doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  The only "open role" we have is WR3.  DPJ and Antoine Green are capable of stepping into that role.  We might add a veteran WR after the draft but there is no pressing need to draft a WR.

Green sucks. He's roster fodder 

1 hour ago, idoubtit said:

Wright Contract Details

$12m/3yr, $4.6m fully guaranteed.

Cap Hits - 2024 - $1.764m, 2025 - $2.629m, 2026 - $4.854m, then 3 void years.

1 void year- 2027 for $1,418,000 in dead cap.

Much more team friendly than originally reported. 

Brock Wright actually makes less money this year than the Lions original tender so I guess he wanted the security of extra years and didn’t want to bet on himself to get more next season. Strange, but I’ll take it. 

Edited by Louis Friend

5 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Brock Wright actually makes less money this year than the Lions original tender so I guess he wanted the security of extra years and didn’t want to bet on himself to get more next season. Strange, but I’ll take it.

No, the original tender was just under $3m. He'll get $4.6m this year under this deal. His signing bonus is prorated so his cap hit for us is less than the original tender. He'll get more cash though.

On 4/4/2024 at 4:56 PM, Just Want A Title said:

WR is a huge need.

ARSB is the only reliable one on the roster. Everyone else is a question mark or very pedestrian.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Miblue said:

WR is a huge need.

ARSB is the only reliable one on the roster. Everyone else is a question mark or very pedestrian.

Despite the depth of the WR class this year, they might be content to pick up a veteran after the draft who can step into the WR3 role while being able to handle WR2 duties in-case of injury.  One article had an interesting option:  Treylon Burks.  He has been a casualty of the QB carousel in Tennessee.  With Calvin Ridley and DeAndre Hopkins already in the fold and the possibility of another WR being added in the draft, he could be the odd-man out.  They asking price would be low and he would give the Lions the strong, long-armed WR they don't have. 

Full Disclosure:  I saw this in a media outlet but I don't have the link.  He does have a risk with injuries, specifically concussions.

Edited by Just Want A Title
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Miblue said:

WR is a huge need.

To be fair, the same thing could have been said last year with just Josh Reynolds also in the mix.  Jamo has questions but top end talent.  DPJ has had solid production in the past and even though we didn't use him much, I am guessing it was mostly due to understanding the playbook and his timing with Goff which is easier to work on in the offseason.  I think WR is definitely a need, but with ARSB, Jamo, Raymond, DPJ, and Green, we have a WR core that can play especially when you add in Gibbs and Laporta as pass catchers. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

To be fair, the same thing could have been said last year with just Josh Reynolds also in the mix.  Jamo has questions but top end talent.  DPJ has had solid production in the past and even though we didn't use him much, I am guessing it was mostly due to understanding the playbook and his timing with Goff which is easier to work on in the offseason.  I think WR is definitely a need, but with ARSB, Jamo, Raymond, DPJ, and Green, we have a WR core that can play especially when you add in Gibbs and Laporta as pass catchers. 

I don’t disagree but I sure would like to see a WR that could slot in behind Jamo on the depth chart. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

I don’t disagree but I sure would like to see a WR that could slot in behind Jamo on the depth chart. 

I would like to see one who could slot in ahead of him since he's not #2 material yet 

1 hour ago, detfan782004 said:

I would like to see one who could slot in ahead of him since he's not #2 material yet 

DPJ has very similar numbers to what Reynolds had when he arrived here.  He has a better single season by nearly 15 catches and a couple hundred yards compared to Reynolds before coming here.  So while I agree that we could use a WR, it is not a dire need and we aren't really any worse off than last year, actually likely better as Jamo will have more time to grow. 

And I strongly disagree with Jamo not being ready to be a #2.  His first few games back sure, but he was solid down the stretch and made plenty of big plays.  He has earned an increase in usage which would be as a #2.  

• Like 2