2024 Offseason Tracker

General Tso

3 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

Hopefully his health will improve this year.  It would be great to see him finish his current contract while still being able to play at a near-pro bowl level.

When Brodric Martin was drafted a lot folks mentioned how a full off-season in an NFL strength and conditioning program could make a difference.  Well here is one comparison.  It isn't a great photo but it will be interesting to see how different he looks and how much he improves this year.  He is one of the biggest beneficiaries of adding Terrell Williams to the coaching staff.

Lions DT Brodric Martin reshaped his body for 2nd NFL season (usatoday.com)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

Sosna leaving Det for Washington is a huge loss. He was responsibile for a lot of these contract negotiations.  Made Holmes job a lot easier but curious who fills that void now 

Definitely a loss but I feel like his role is significantly easier to find replacements for than many others.  Not to say its easy, but finding a financial guy who can learn how the cap works is easier than finding someone with a keen eye for talent in the draft or an ability to develop that talent.  I am glad our front office is getting recognition and losing people because that means you are successful but will be a new era for Holmes/DC to show how they can replace and develop other guys. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Definitely a loss but I feel like his role is significantly easier to find replacements for than many others.  Not to say it's easy, but finding a financial guy who can learn how the cap works is easier than finding someone with a keen eye for talent in the draft or an ability to develop that talent.  I am glad our front office is getting recognition and losing people because that means you are successful but will be a new era for Holmes/DC to show how they can replace and develop other guys. 

You say that but some teams are exponentially better at manipulating cap. If it were that easy I think less teams would be in cap issues 

It looks like the Lions are going to get a nice increase in cap space as a result of the Cam Sutton release earlier this year.  Heading into the season with $39 million in cap space gives them a ton of flexibility.  I don't see them making a splash trade or signing though.  If nothing else, they will be able to make a nice addition to their 2025 salary cap if they are able to roll most of that over.

The Detroit Lions are days away from adding some extra cap space, here's how (atozsports.com)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

It looks like the Lions are going to get a nice increase in cap space as a result of the Cam Sutton release earlier this year.  Heading into the season with $39 million in cap space gives them a ton of flexibility.  I don't see them making a splash trade or signing though.  If nothing else, they will be able to make a nice addition to their 2025 salary cap if they are able to roll most of that over.

The Detroit Lions are days away from adding some extra cap space, here's how (atozsports.com)

I'd love to see us make a trade for Courtland Sutton. He wants some more money ($12-$15M). He's 28 years old and under contract for 2024 and 2025. 1 year extension plus a void year, throw him a couple extra bucks. 

X - Sutton, DPJ

S - St. Brown, Raymond

Y - Jamo

plus Gibbs, LaPorta... we're cooking with gas. 

ESPN ranked the position groups of each team https://g.espncdn.com/s/ffldraftkit/24/NFLDK2024_CS_ClayProjections2024.pdf

Keep in mind this is not just the starters but also the depth. The Lions are ranked 7th overall. 

• I am surprised how high our CB group is rated already considering there's 2 rookies and 2 new veterans on the team
  • I agree that our Safety group is not great. I think the starters are fine, but not sure about our depth unless you're including Brian Branch, but that would take away from him playing nickel. I would still like a veteran and there's a lot of good ones out there.
  • I think our WR outside of ASRB need to prove themselves.

31 minutes ago, General Tso said:

ESPN ranked the position groups of each team https://g.espncdn.com/s/ffldraftkit/24/NFLDK2024_CS_ClayProjections2024.pdf

Keep in mind this is not just the starters but also the depth. The Lions are ranked 7th overall. 

• I am surprised how high our CB group is rated already considering there's 2 rookies and 2 new veterans on the team
  • I agree that our Safety group is not great. I think the starters are fine, but not sure about our depth unless you're including Brian Branch, but that would take away from him playing nickel. I would still like a veteran and there's a lot of good ones out there.

Based on how they handled the WR position in the off-season, I don't think they will make any big additions.  I agree with the need for a veteran safety even if Ifeatu Melifonwu stays mostly healthy.  Kerby Joseph took a step back last year.  I don't want a deep playoff run depending on Kerby Joseph's progress or lack of therein.

1 hour ago, General Tso said:

Having Branch in the CB group is why that is higher but also that still seems high.  Arnold and Rakestraw are great additions but early round CBs fail all the time so you can't count on them much more than baseline at this point.  Davis, Branch and Amik Robertson is scary if those CBs are more Jeff Okudah than Darius Slay.  Having CB's be the 6th best group in the league is nuts given that was a huge need and most of us think it still is.  

S is bad and I am guessing they didn't include Branch in that.  I think Iffy and Kerby are fine as starters but the depth is weak and probably our worst position depth wise. 

WR needs to prove itself for sure.  But honestly Josh Reynolds wasn't a highly proven stud we need to replace with a high end WR.  He was a mid season FA pick up a couple of years ago that we revived his career.  DPJ could be the same this year and Raymond when healthy was one of the better route runners for getting open in the league.  Yes we have huge questions there with depth but I also don't think its a weakness.  

I think its wild that we are the second best DI group in the league given DT was a need this year.  Adding Reader helps but our depth is extremely unproven. 

We are the top OL and second best RB groups in the league which is solid.  

2 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I'd love to see us make a trade for Courtland Sutton. He wants some more money ($12-$15M). He's 28 years old and under contract for 2024 and 2025. 1 year extension plus a void year, throw him a couple extra bucks. 

X - Sutton, DPJ

S - St. Brown, Raymond

Y - Jamo

plus Gibbs, LaPorta... we're cooking with gas. 

Would you want to trade for Sutton if it means we lose Alim McNeill?

2 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

Would you want to trade for Sutton if it means we lose Alim McNeill?

I don't know if it would. 

I could see us losing someone like Kerby or Iffy but they could also be replacement candidates at the current rate anyway.