***SPOILERS*** Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi SPOILER Thread

Deadpulse

52 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

Yet by the same logic you're using, George Lucas could do that very thing and by your logic you'd just have to throw your hands and up go "Well, so be it!". Criticisms are valid or invalid regardless of the creator. George Lucas surrendered his vision of Star Wars when he sold the rights off (I know you don't care, but it's kind of a big thing), so if Disney wants to say that anyone, even the daughter of junk traders, can become a Jedi, why is that a bad thing? Heck, maybe it'll be revealed down the line that Kylo only say half the picture and Rey's parents actually were something important. Who knows. I doubt it, especially because we've already seen in the ending scene that the kid of Bight could move the broom and clearly he's a nobody, so.

No you go well screw this series like people do with the Harry potter series and all the BS JK Rowling has done to pander it. No one really takes that one serious anymore even if they do still watch the movies. 

3 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

think you guys are confusing what an actual force user is. I nor anyone else has said she has to Jedi Royalty to be a Jedi or have Jedi parents to be  Jedi. But to compete with a TRAINED FORCE USER OF THE SKYWALKER BLOODLINE AND BE ON PAR SHE HAS TO HAVE A SPECIAL BACKGROUND. A novice force user of no training holding her own against someone like that is a major plot hole. Because it is something that just should not happen. 

I think you’re confusing your idea of how the Force works with how we’ve been repeatedly told it works, including in this film, which is that it is always seeking a balance. Rey balances Ren. Simple as that.

And it’s not like Ren is fully trained, either...

8 minutes ago, fretgod99 said:

Lulz. Guess I need to watch the first six movies since I’m just a “casual fan”.

We knew literally nothing about the Emperor is ESB. We knew essentially nothing about the Emperor in RotJ. We also knew exactly one thing about Vader after ESB, who his son was. Stop acting like the OT answered all these questions or was some paragon of storytelling. If ESB were released today, I’m almost positive you would hate it.

After all, life-long padawans couldn’t do the things Luke could after working with Yoda for only a week (few weeks? where in ESB do we know how long he’s on Dagobah?).

Yea like I said might want to go watch the 6 films again. Cause if all you remember is "I am your father". Then you need a refresher. 

4 minutes ago, fretgod99 said:

I think you’re confusing your idea of how the Force works with how we’ve been repeatedly told it works, including in this film, which is that it is always seeking a balance. Rey balances Ren. Simple as that.

And it’s not like Ren is fully trained, either...

I know exactly how it's been explained. Force Users are born with the ability. It's not a state of mind like you people are pretending it is. 

And Ren has had years of experience, training, and the ability to train himself. Once again you guys are over looking details explained the ones that are lacking an explanation.  

3 minutes ago, sunnygsm said:

There was also an explosion that ripped the bridge apart after the direct hit. 

I wouldn't bother. These people are tearing down the original series to prop this one up. And besides a few minor disagreements, overall think it's perfect. 

8 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Yea like I said might want to go watch the 6 films again. Cause if all you remember is "I am your father". Then you need a refresher. 

Trololol! Sure bud. That’s all I remember. Pretty sure that movie was like a snow bear, then Luke learns who his father is. That’s all I need to know.

2 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

I wouldn't bother. These people are tearing down the original series to prop this one up. And besides a few minor disagreements, overall think it's perfect. 

Not even remotely. Wasn’t a perfect movie, but it was a fun engaging story that is a great addition.

You’re acting like there aren’t issues with the OT.

I'm being intentionally obtuse with the Leia example. The point I'm trying to convey is that while this film did new things, some which are great, it opens the franchise up to inconsistencies. There are definitely a few that arose due to the choices made in TLJ. 

I'd say my main issue with the film was that it didn't have the conviction to push forward with some of the ideas they presented. They talked about ending the Jedi, but Luke closes by mentioning Rey (who has the flawed teachings of the Jedi in her possession). Of course there's still Ep IX. 

1 minute ago, fretgod99 said:

Not even remotely. Wasn’t a perfect movie, but it was a fun engaging story that is a great addition.

You’re acting like there aren’t issues with the OT.

There were plenty of issues. Alot explained in 1,2,3. But at least was explanations. Things they didn't have time to explain in the original series or was overlooked. 

The OS can be given a pass because it was new, didn't have massive budgets and was still a process in George Lucas head. 

This franchise has Disneys budget behind it. With 50 years of this stuff already rooted in people's minds, time to work out explanations, holes and things. This should have been thought out long before this series was even made. But in this it seems like 2 directors doing their own things and deciding what they want the universe to be about. Disney did not set a clear direction and it's becoming obvious they greenlit this before a story was even in place. Giving the directors too much freedom instead of giving a set of expectations being met script wise instead. Instead they only focused on marketing potential. 

17 minutes ago, sunnygsm said:

This literal idea of the force balancing makes 0 sense. By that logic, the two sith in the prequels would be as strong as the numerous Jedi that existed at the time. Wasn't really the case. 

To be fair, that was the height of the Jedi’s power (in the movieverse) and, at that time, the Sith were in the middle of a plan that gave them almost complete control of just about the entire galaxy. So it’s not really as far fetched as you might think.

Archived