Center

mwalker

9 hours ago, jebrick said:

Why would you commit to Moore for any seasons?  They drafted Jones as a LT.  They knew they had a problem which is why they drafted him.  The sooner they move on from Moore the better for the Oline.

because it's tomlin and moore is a tomlin player, he will be the LT no matter what unless on IR

I would have left jones at LT after the first start no questions asked, no if's either. He played much better at LT , which at one time was considered the most important OL. For some reason, tomlin doesn't see it that way

On 2/24/2024 at 3:09 PM, 3rivers said:

IOW OL has limited hope  as usual aka tomlin legacy

would you opt for C and OT in first 2 rounds of the draft?  

I would not pencil both positions as that, but I could also see the board falling that way.

or look to UFA for some help for one of those yet still take OL in RD1?

They cut two veterans: Mason Cole and Chuks. I don't think they want to put their backs against the wall at both positions. I could see two moderately priced veterans signed.

The feeling now is different than with colbert though, so it wouldn't shock me if they get OL in both RD1 and RD2

The board could easily fall that way. I don't think they will force two OL picks if a higher rated CB or DL that has a higher value is there. 

2 hours ago, 3rivers said:

because it's tomlin and moore is a tomlin player, he will be the LT no matter what unless on IR

Moore is on a rookie deal. I don't think keeping him as a backup is a bad idea. Starter, heck no. 

I would have left jones at LT after the first start no questions asked, no if's either.

Chuks was pretty bad. Moore at least has a mean streak. My biggest issue with Moore is that he is one dimensional in too many areas.

He played much better at LT, which at one time was considered the most important OL. For some reason, tomlin doesn't see it that way.

The nerve of Mike Tomlin. They could have put Jones there, but they had no other answer at RT. Chuks started screwing up as the swing tackle. Moore is a classic case of a backup talent wise playing far too much. Sign free agent stopgaps. Then draft a Center and OT. That will fix the OL and be done. Moore is on the roster for another year as a backup. Hopefully the 8 or 9 player on the OL. 

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

I will go Tonya Harding on Moore if that is what it takes to get him out of the LT position.

giphy.gif

sarcasm of course, I never wish harm on most  players.  If Moore could improve on his last half of 22, that would be ok  somewhat. Makes no sense to trade up for a lT then move him to RT but thats tomlin.  They should have told him to move on and got a new HC but thats the steeler way. 

If this draft is deep at OT, maybe get one in RD3, JPJ in RD1 of course, and then next year LT in RD1. Maybe we will pick earlier too ;)

18 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

he's getting a nice raise because he played enough last year. Good for him, but realize he will be the LT.  I expect JPJ then the ILB that steel city twins picks, their mock seems decent

11 hours ago, 3rivers said:

sarcasm of course, I never wish harm on most  players.  If Moore could improve on his last half of 22, that would be ok  somewhat. Makes no sense to trade up for a lT then move him to RT but thats tomlin.  They should have told him to move on and got a new HC but thats the steeler way. 

If this draft is deep at OT, maybe get one in RD3, JPJ in RD1 of course, and then next year LT in RD1. Maybe we will pick earlier too ;)

The draft is deep at RT.  Yes you could get some LT like more later but why?  They drafted a LT last year.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 3rivers said:

sarcasm of course, I never wish harm on most  players.  If Moore could improve on his last half of 22, that would be ok  somewhat.

Moore as an experienced back-up is not a bad thing.  No one wants him as LT1.  The team has to get better. I don't even think Coach Tomlin is satisfied enough there to not try to improve.😄😜

Makes no sense to trade up for a LT then move him to RT but thats tomlin. 

Honestly, many young drafted LT's start on the right side.  There are far more that start on the opposite side for a year or  even two than start day one LT.  I think that Coach Tomlin would have thrown him there had Chuks not been so bad. I think he saw it as Moore being better than Chuks and Moore has said that he can't play on the right side. 

They should have told him to move on and got a new HC but that's the steeler way. 

Time will tell. I was honestly on the fence on moving on as well. However, he's here, so  wll support him and anyone else in black n gold. 

Yes  it is a deep class.  They may not all be day one starters, but certainly a group to even get a redshirt OT (if you know what I mean).  It is still early, but I am still on the JPJ for pick one bandwagon. Get your franchise Center and be set at the position for 10-12 years. They may go CB round two as it has a lot of talent and tall rangy prospects as well.  I do think that OT will be addressed by picks before the end of round three hopefully or four at the latest.  

I don't think they have to be straight LT or RT.  The Steelers like versatile OL's.  One of the problems with Moore is he is one-dimensional (LT only) an disn't very good there either.  I think they want some guys who could potentially switch.  I do believe that they really want Jones at LT ultimately.  That would only change, if they got a really good LT propspect. Those guys will more than likely be long gone before pick 20. Then you are getting into the good, but need time to develop guys (redhsirts at LT).  

10 hours ago, 3rivers said:

He's getting a nice raise because he played enough last year. Good for him, but realize he will be the LT. 

If you are talking about Moore, I haven't heard of any extension talks or plans.  I think he's still on his rookie deal. That is actually what makes him somewhat appealing as a back-up.  He's experienced and a cheap cap hit unlike Chuks who was experienced, expensive, and didn't play even as well as Moore.

I expect JPJ then the ILB that steel city twins picks, their mock seems decent.

I like those guys, but I am not sure ILB would be the pick based on value. There mock they had two of the three guys I did in one of my mocks (Center and RT). ILB may well be a target, I just think there are too many other higher rated OL's, CB's, potentially Safety, and DT's that would probably be a better draft value than ILB.  This is also not a bad year to drop down if you miss a guy or potentially even move back up in round two or three.  I just think you hav eto weigh the options on your board.  There is talent abound, you just have to not get excited and follow your  board.  I think LB is devalued and thinner. There are no Ray Lewis, Brian Cushing, or  Dan Morgan type prospects. Not saying we may not have a great ILB in the class, just not a top value. 

I think the Steelers need to improve on their day two and day three picks.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jebrick said:

The draft is deep at RT.  Yes you could get some LT like more later but why?  They drafted a LT last year.

Yes. I also don't think that they want to have OLs who are " strictly exclusive."  Even though Jones is an LT, he can play RT. I think they would like a good RT or a LT who is versatile enough to play RT. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

Yes. I also don't think that they want to have OLs who are " strictly exclusive."  Even though Jones is an LT, he can play RT. I think they would like a good RT or a LT who is versatile enough to play RT. 

What you say above should spell the doom for Moore unless they are thinking of moving him inside.

@Steeler Hitman

Moore isn't getting a new deal, but is getting a pay increase because he has played a high enough % of snaps , good for  him but he needs to play better no just more :$

I like the Steel City Twins mock, the RT in RD3 is good for now especially if the player has a mean streak in the run game . The ILB seems like a good pick too, but they need a CB in UFA. 

32 minutes ago, jebrick said:

LT is jones, then RT is whoever. Thats how I would see this if Moore isn't at LT since he can't play RT. They are restricted by committing to moore at LT.  I expect Moore to be the LT, JPJ at C and Jones at RT. 

tomlin steeler way - keeping players out of position

minkah at SS while they put peterson at FS

Muth trying to run block at all

Moore starting at LT after moving up to draft a LT

trying to run 2 gap DL with players that can't

having a punter that ranks 36 out of 32 punters

having a LT rank similar

38 minutes ago, jebrick said:

What you say above should spell the doom for Moore unless they are thinking of moving him inside.

I agree. Truthfully, I think they have gone as far as they want and can with him. He did not develop to be Marvel Smith as originally hoped.  People say he could kick inside, but I am not sure he has enough girth and movement for it. It is probably the end either in 2024 or not being resigned in 2025.  He is not the answer at LT and he is limited to the left side, so he doesn't have a lot of options if he doesn't expand his arsenal. 

38 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

@Steeler Hitman

Moore isn't getting a new deal, but is getting a pay increase because he has played a high enough % of snaps , good for him but he needs to play better not just more :$

No doubt he needs to play better. I just think we see and realize who he is as a player. We know his ceiling and floor and we know who he is. He looks much more attractive to the team as a back-up. But as Jebrick pointed out as well, if he is limited, then he is limiting his options to make the team. This is especially true if they draft someone and sign someone, plus you have a player like Spencer Anderson who can play OT, OG, and Cener. IJS🤷‍♂️

I like the Steel City Twins mock, the RT in RD3 is good for now especially if the player has a mean streak in the run game . The ILB seems like a good pick too, but they need a CB in UFA. 

I am a BPA guy. Especially when there is batloads of talent. Maybe as you get into round 3-5 you start focusing on priority of needs. Check my mocks, I had the same guy mocked in round three as well. ND puts out good OL's like Michigan and Wisconsin. 

LT is jones, then RT is whoever. Thats how I would see this if Moore isn't at LT since he can't play RT. They are restricted by committing to moore at LT.  I expect Moore to be the LT, JPJ at C and Jones at RT. 

Or they are committing him to the bench. He has some emphasis and a sense of urgency to become more versatile. 

tomlin steeler way - keeping players out of position

minkah at SS while they put peterson at FS

Muth trying to run block at all

Muth's a TE. He has to start blocking. He has gotten better, but he won't be confuded with Mark Bruener. 

Moore starting at LT after moving up to draft a LT

We will see who is right. Only way I see Moore at LT is an injury. I suspect that they will add a veteran OT in free agency as well. 

trying to run 2 gap DL with players that can't

having a punter that ranks 36 out of 32 punters

having a LT rank similar

It's ALL Mike Tomlin's fault. 😄 Mr. 529 Mediocre Mike. When will he ever learn. 😜

6 minutes ago, rlon said:

Bortolini looks a lot better than Frazier in drills and in terms of movement.

Frazier broke his leg 3-ish months ago.  Likely just back to running recently.

• Like 1